Battery Calibration is a Myth

OP enigmaamit

23rd January 2012, 06:36 PM   |  #1  
OP Recognized Contributor
Flag Purgatory, Hades Cluster
Thanks Meter: 1,431

2,265 posts
More
All over the forum, people are going nuts about battery stats, calibration "techniques", apps, scripts etc... to "improve" your battery life. What the hell is up with all this battery calibration mumbo-jumbo?

I don't know who started this, but this calibration, battery stats wipe thing is just plain annoying now. It is a useless, superstitious, ritualistic and nonsensical practice... just as useless as the Task Killer apps and scripts floating around.

I know y'all will boo me for flipping a finger at this sacred ritual that everyone on android seems to be following, so allow me to let Google Engineer Diane Hackborn convince you... (unless of course you believe that you understand how Android works even better than the guys that designed it...)

OPEN YOUR EYES (and mind) and READ THIS

Please understand that i am only posting this because all this battery stats wiping and calibration etc is just a pagan ritual and doesn't really help. We're just being herded along like sheep, just as was the case with task managers (still is) aome time ago. Break this vicious cycle...

Enough ranting. It's your phone, do what you want with it. It's not like I'm Steve Jobs (may God have mercy on his soul) or Bill Gates to dictate how you use your phone...
The Following 38 Users Say Thank You to enigmaamit For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd January 2012, 07:20 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Nottingham
Thanks Meter: 636

1,290 posts
Donate to Me
More
Myth debunked! I suspected as much. I usually forget the battery stats thing and never noticed any different battery life. Just some odd representation of dialer usage in battery stats. Thanks for the find.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using xda premium
23rd January 2012, 07:43 PM   |  #3  
Flag Leipzig
Thanks Meter: 61

278 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmaamit

All over the forum, people are going nuts about battery stats, calibration "techniques", apps, scripts etc... to "improve" your battery life. What the hell is up with all this battery calibration mumbo-jumbo?

I don't know who started this, but this calibration, battery stats wipe thing is just plain annoying now. It is a useless, superstitious, ritualistic and nonsensical practice... just as useless as the Task Killer apps and scripts floating around.

I know y'all will boo me for flipping a finger at this sacred ritual that everyone on android seems to be following, so allow me to let Google Engineer Diane Hackborn convince you... (unless of course you believe that you understand how Android works even better than the guys that designed it...)

Please understand that i am only posting this because all this battery stats wiping and calibration etc is just a pagan ritual and doesn't really help. We're just being herded along like sheep, just as was the case with task managers (still is) aome time ago. Break this vicious cycle...

Enough ranting. It's your phone, do what you want with it. It's not like I'm Steve Jobs (may God have mercy on his soul) or Bill Gates to dictate how you use your phone...

Read this already. And never whiped the stats before :)

Sent from my HTC Desire S using XDA App
23rd January 2012, 09:44 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 418

1,922 posts
More
That's good to hear. Never calibrated because I'm too lazy. The whole thought of charging to 100% then letting it discharge and then charging it backup to 100% was just boring! Plus I hate letting my phone die. Thanks for the info enigmaamit!

24th January 2012, 03:57 AM   |  #5  
Flag Gloucester
Thanks Meter: 4

39 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmaamit

You have great style, man. Love the relevance of your posts, and well constructed structure. This post made me think again about things we have all blindly accepted as the norm, without even questioning the logic behind them. Thank you for the insight. Battery calibration was the most irritating thing for me, and i will never do this again! I have opened my eyes...
24th January 2012, 09:56 AM   |  #6  
Flag Bristol
Thanks Meter: 1,560

4,020 posts
More
Thanks for this. Its interesting to read, and good to be able to tell my mates "I told you so" as I have never bothered calibrating my battery stats. Getting over 48hrs of normal use (calls, data, wi-fi, texts, browsing etc) on a MIUI build is good enough that I never felt the need to even consider caibrating.
25th January 2012, 11:44 PM   |  #7  
Flag Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 67

419 posts
More
Thanks for the heads up

u should link to this in the battery calibration thread! Afraid I don't know how to cross link whilst posting on my phone.

26th January 2012, 02:34 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 2

26 posts
More
It's not completely useless. You can for example delete the batterystats.bin file at any battery level and keep your phone in standby to see what is causing a battery drain in the battery usage UI.
28th January 2012, 08:50 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 495

2,123 posts
That post by Diane didn't really mention anything about calibration though, just the batterystats file. However I have always been pretty sure that charge/discharge calibration is a myth ever since Li-Ion batteries became mainstream. That type of calibration only really helped with the old school Ni-Cd batteries. I ain't calibrated a battery in my life and I am still alive and happy.
29th January 2012, 04:56 PM   |  #10  
Flag Amman
Thanks Meter: 171

398 posts
More
Mother of God!
How dare you, imposter! challenge our ways of maintaining our handset's life and mind's sanity, how dare you question the teachings of mAhro jr., you dare come to our land, and question our ways that has been passed along from an android's incrementation to another?

Feed The Imposter to the lions!

jk xD
Again, kicking ass with your posts, i always knew that this calibration thing is a gimmick, the effect could be a huge placebo and i think whoever designed android/batteries knows better than to leave the records tied to software, no? anyways great post

But that what would the calibration cult say o3o
Last edited by Bewinxed; 29th January 2012 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Herpin' the derp

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bewinxed For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
battery, calibration, myth, stats, wipe
Previous Thread Next Thread