Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,811,083 Members 42,383 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How to stop the update to fc09 message!!! Modified 5/14/2012

Tip us?

KennyG123
Old
RC-RT Committee / Senior Moderator / Spider-Mod
Thanks Meter 26,174

DONATE TO ME
Awesome dude! May try this on Legendary 2.1 later today.

Moderator Directory - - - FORUM RULES - - - Support Autism Awareness here

intulsa
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by flastnoles11 View Post
sed -i 's/SPH-D700-user 2.3.5 GINGERBREAD EI22 release-keys/SPH-D700-user 2.3.6 GINGERBREAD EL30 release-keys/g' /system/build.prop

sed -i 's/sprint\/SPH-D700\/SPH-D700:2.3.5\/GINGERBREAD\/EI22:user\/release-keys/sprint\/SPH-D700\/SPH-D700:2.3.6\/GINGERBREAD\/EL30:user\/release-keys/g' /system/build.prop
This is a good idea, but can't I just change the relevant parts with a text editor?

labumm
Old
(Last edited by labumm; 5th February 2012 at 01:42 AM.) Reason: fixed problem/left out detail
Thanks Meter 27
The EL30 is nagging me again. I too allowed the install to fail a week ago.

If I understand correctly, what flastnoles11 is saying is make minor changes to the two lines in the /system/build.prop file:

ro.build.description=
ro.build.fingerprint=

changes:
2.3.5 --> 2.3.6
EI22 --> EL30

I used root explorer with the system directory mounted with r/w permissions. I was able to rename the old file, replace it with the changed EL30 spoof, change the permissions back to rw-r--r-- and ownership/group back to root. Reboot.

No nag yet. I think that is it done.
The Following User Says Thank You to labumm For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

krwshl
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I have been trying to type this in with Shell Commander on my phone but it says remount and sed are not commands. Any way to get this to work by typing it on the phone directly?

thanks!!

labumm
Old
Thanks Meter 27
I used "Root Explorer". Of course you need to be rooted. It has an text editor. You can make the text edits, attribute and ownership changes with it too. There are probably other apps out there that have similar function.

Initially I tried to transfer the file to my laptop, edit it, and transfer it back. Those are un-needed steps. If you are a developer, it makes sense to have higher power tools, but the changes here are so simple, making the changes on the phone is easiest.
The Following User Says Thank You to labumm For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

krwshl
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by labumm View Post
I used "Root Explorer". Of course you need to be rooted. It has an text editor. You can make the text edits, attribute and ownership changes with it too. There are probably other apps out there that have similar function.

Initially I tried to transfer the file to my laptop, edit it, and transfer it back. Those are un-needed steps. If you are a developer, it makes sense to have higher power tools, but the changes here are so simple, making the changes on the phone is easiest.
Thanks, I am rooted so going to try this ... just trying to figure out what to edit now :/

usagi111
Old
Thanks Meter 14
I used the FOTAKill.apk, the message came up, but when I clicked on the Reboot & Install, then suddenly it said "Your system is up to Date"... no problems since...

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App

Dronak
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Thanks for the updated method. After just getting my third update notification, I decided to try this. I installed adb to have access to it (for this and possible future use), copied the build.prop file to my SD card for a backup, and ran the updated steps in the original post to edit build.prop. We'll see how it works. Hopefully this will hold me over until my current ROM gets updated to EL30.

KennyG123
Old
RC-RT Committee / Senior Moderator / Spider-Mod
Thanks Meter 26,174

DONATE TO ME
Worked great on my Legendary 2.1 nandroid. Thanks!

Moderator Directory - - - FORUM RULES - - - Support Autism Awareness here
The Following User Says Thank You to KennyG123 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

gdawg31
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks. This worked great on my rather dated (but very stable) ACS-EI22-Prerooted[DEODEXED][GPSfix]...haven't seen the update notification again.