[Q] how to make nook think sideloaded was downloaded

OP persichini

24th January 2012, 02:56 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag DFW
Thanks Meter: 5

103 posts
More
Has anyone looked into a way to make the nook think your sideloaded content was downloaded from B&N.. IS there some data base file that keeps record that we could edit? I'm sick of my sideloaded books lacking the functionality of the downloaded ones.. anyone have ideas on where to start?

Edit:
I found this on the nook tablet forum... BN Book Directory, Calibre, Cut&Paste, Library Covers

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustusBot

I moved a folder into /system/media/books and after stopping and restarting the Library app, the books within the folder did show up in the Library.

However after long-pressing the book, i noted Delete was not an option from the library.

Not a huge deal... if i want to delete them I can simply mount /system as rw, open ES File Explorer, and delete them.

Can anyone confirm that the /system/ location is actually on the B&N 12gb partition?

edit: this doesn't really resolve my secondary objective, of getting Magazines to show up in the Magazine tab of the Library (there is no /system/media/magazines!)

Has any tried placing books in the directory /data/media/b&n downloads/books/

Update:

ok so placing books in /system/media/books does allow it to show up in the library..
and you can read it

Still won't show meta information..
Last edited by persichini; 24th January 2012 at 11:08 PM. Reason: Found more info on issue
24th January 2012, 08:07 PM   |  #2  
OP Senior Member
Flag DFW

103 posts
More
OK so I've found that the database looks to be here

/data/data/com.android.providers.media/databases/internal.db
/data/data/com.android.providers.downloads/databases/downloads.db <----- Looks more promising

I've looked at the file in notepad and can see the ISBN numbers listed in the file but i can't read it correctly ... what program should i use to edit this?

the books you download are names with the ISBN number... in the /data/media/B&N Downloads/Books/
Edit:
/data/data/com.android.providers.downloads/databases/downloads.db is defiantly the right file i just need help editing... it I've never done sqlite3 before
Last edited by persichini; 24th January 2012 at 11:08 PM.
24th January 2012, 09:43 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag DFW

103 posts
More
OK so I've found that the database looks to be here

/data/data/com.android.providers.media/databases/internal.db <----- Looks more promising

/data/data/com.android.providers.downloads/databases/downloads.db <----- deadend
I've figured out the sqlite thing....

Downloads didn't work....

Internal.db seems to have all the information.... It has a field for summary, author, what not.... So Meta info isn't used at all by the nook... its added per book base to the internal.db file.... bummer. I guess i'll add the info and see if it is recognized.

Looks like there might be alot of info needed from BN.com to make it work... ugh
Last edited by persichini; 24th January 2012 at 11:39 PM.
27th January 2012, 04:07 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 47

419 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by persichini

Has anyone looked into a way to make the nook think your sideloaded content was downloaded from B&N.. IS there some data base file that keeps record that we could edit?

I’m sure B&N keeps info on their server too, and should sync it across all your devices (like the book page you are on). No idea how their sync works and what exactly being sync-ed.

Quote:

I'm sick of my sideloaded books lacking the functionality of the downloaded ones.. anyone have ideas on where to start?

What is it you missing so badly?
29th January 2012, 01:53 AM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Flag DFW

103 posts
More
I guess i'm to picky... I have 60 books that were suggested by people that i haven't read yet. I like to be able to read a summary before i start reading..

Is it just me or do the search functions not work like the they should? X-ray search doesn't seem to work like the advertisements.

Being able to mark a book as read... I like seeing my progress

Archiving books would also be nice.
30th January 2012, 01:42 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 47

419 posts
Ok, I see what you mean.
I don’t know where book summary is stored. Could be in a EPUB ifself?
I would start copying some book from /data/media/B&N Downloads/Books to SD card and check if you get a summary.
X-ray search – know nothing about it, sorry.

About Archiving - I guess, we supposed to be able to delete a book from nook and be able to download it later again (since B&N have a record that we bought it).
For side loading, we can create Archive folder.
I know, it’s not exactly archiving, but just trying to be helpful…
30th January 2012, 05:44 PM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member
Flag DFW

103 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApokrifX

Ok, I see what you mean.
I don’t know where book summary is stored. Could be in a EPUB ifself?
I would start copying some book from /data/media/B&N Downloads/Books to SD card and check if you get a summary.

/data/data/com.android.providers.media/databases/internal.db

This is a database file that contains the book summary and all the other info. I guess when you download a book from B&N it updates this file.

I just haven't been able to update the file and get it to recognize.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApokrifX

X-ray search – know nothing about it, sorry.

About Archiving - I guess, we supposed to be able to delete a book from nook and be able to download it later again (since B&N have a record that we bought it).
For side loading, we can create Archive folder.
I know, it’s not exactly archiving, but just trying to be helpful…

I do know that by placing your books in '/system/media/books' folder you can use the B&N partition for your side loaded books you just have to reboot to recognize them. There is also no option to delete books once they are placed there. you would have to delete them with a file manager or over ADB
30th January 2012, 06:57 PM   |  #8  
Flag Pickering
Thanks Meter: 23

123 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

I guess i'm to picky... I have 60 books that were suggested by people that i haven't read yet. I like to be able to read a summary before i start reading..

Is it just me or do the search functions not work like the they should? X-ray search doesn't seem to work like the advertisements.

Being able to mark a book as read... I like seeing my progress

Archiving books would also be nice.

X-Ray Search doesn't work? It shouldn't, that a Kindle feature.
31st January 2012, 04:33 PM   |  #9  
OP Senior Member
Flag DFW

103 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar_east

X-Ray Search doesn't work? It shouldn't, that a Kindle feature.

Ohhh well that makes sense why i could ever figure that out.... Guess i got my research crossed on the x-ray search... i still wouldn't trade my nook for kindle.
31st January 2012, 09:02 PM   |  #10  
Flag Pickering
Thanks Meter: 23

123 posts
Donate to Me
More
That's ok. There's no reason to buy a Kindle, the Nook runs the app quite well

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread