Xperia ARC induction wireless charging mod
Just finished the Sony Ericsson Xperia ARC induction wireless charging mod
Pls look at this reference video to get an idea what you are going to get and what it takes:
Parts you will need for this mod:
* Palm Pre back cover and Touchstone dock (8-15$ on eBay)
* Self-adhesive copper foil
* thin wire
* small star and maybe Phillips screwdriver
* thin soldering iron
* 2 ohm SMD (1/8 or 1/4w) resistor is needed to balance on peak. Will not work without it.
Guide to open the phone(you don't need to open it all the way as on that video! Just few first steps): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ae-WQkNh8mE
MIND two restrictions:
1) this induction wireless charging will not work from PC or Laptop USB plugs (at least for me) looks like cradle needs a bit higher voltage then 5v. As USB is usually below 5V (~4.8). It can be due to the presence of resistor.
2) it won't work through almost any case / jacket / cover if you put it on you ARC. As it becomes too thick to let induction and magnets alignment work. for this you need to put induction coil in your case as I did for RAY http://www.pbase.com/xperia_mods/xpe...n_charging_mod
Q: Will it interfere with any phone functions and radio modules (GSM, WCDMA, WiFi, BT, GPS ...)
A: NO all works as good as before.
Q:Is this really worth opening your phone, and probably damaging it?
A: It is up to you. For ARC I'd say it is worth opening as you need to open only one back cover, no modules disconnect, connect etc. If you feel experience in opening the small electronics and soldering go ahead!
Q: Also, what about the charging times? Is it as slow as USB charge, or almost as fast as wall outlets?
A: Charging time is almost as fast as wall outlets. Charging current is around 350 mAmps
Q: Can I use it in the car
Q: where do we have to put the resistor?
A: just in line of + or - like in this sample
Q: Will my Micro USB port work after mod?
A: Yes it will work as good as before and you can charge through it as before
Q: the cover is closed complete after install?
A: Yes, you will not notice a difference from the outside
I HOLD NO RESPOSIBILITY IF YOU DAMAGE YOUR PHONE OR YOURSELF DURING THE PROCEDURE!
This mod might void your warranty! Though I don’t think a SE repair man will be able to find traces of this mod on first sight if removed cleanly.