Battery Charged in 30 Seconds? Maybe in 2016

Phones and tablets are getting more and more power hungry with each passing generation. Their … more

ZArchive Manages Your File Archives

Today smartphones are quite powerful devices that can handle multiple processes at once. In fact, some of … more

Regain Double Tap to Wake Functionality on the Nexus 6

A few months ago, Google announced its newest flagship device, the Nexus 6, alongside … more

Clean Your Recent Apps – XDA Xposed Tuesday

In this day and age, you have quite a few apps installed and running on your Android … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Noob: Intel Android tablet to Windows 8? Possible?

OP CacOBG

25th January 2012, 12:27 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
OK, couldn't find a similar thread, so I will make a new one. I am a Noob when it comes to tablets and their OS restrictions (I've heard of boot-loaders and stuff but don't know exactly what they are).

So to the question - say I get something like this: Lenovo Ideatab K2110, which runs on an Intel X86 architecture.

Then when Windows 8 come out, can I get a license and run it on the device? Will that be possible? I know it is sort of early, but I am thinking about tablets and evaluating the options. Not really a fan of Android and iOS as I've always used windows, so I was just wondering if I get an Intel-based ICS 4.0 device, whether I can upgrade to Win eventually if I am not happy with it.

Also, I haven't found anything on the net, for convertable Android Intel-based tablets (like the Transformer) - anyone read anything on the topic? As if I upgrade to Win 8, I'd prefer a keyboard-dockable device.

Any help will be much appreciated!

To clarify - I am asking because of affordability - currently Win 7 tablets are very expensive. But if I get Android and decide that Win 8 is worth the money eventually then I will probably invest in it. I know the switch from Win 7 to Win 8 will be easy but Win 7 is crap until Win 8 comes out AND it is more expensive than Android so I see no reason to buy such a device.

And while on topic - how much would an Android shave off the price of a similar system with Win 8? Are Win 7 tablets so expensive because of the hardware or because of the software?

Edit: Just saw a similar thread in the Dev forum! I guess someone else has the same idea as me and it sounds plausible! Just waiting for an appropriate dockable device then Still, anyone heard about any convertible tablets with Intel chips?
Last edited by CacOBG; 25th January 2012 at 04:05 PM. Reason: edit section added
25th January 2012, 10:01 PM   |  #2  
Flag Pull-The-Man, WA
Thanks Meter: 83

823 posts
More
You may be the first one in XDA say that Windows 7 sucks.
yeah, it can be suck for Tablet because it is a platform which Windows 7 wasn't aimed for.

And i don;t have a clear answer for the question because they can have the same hardware but install an OS on it is a different story.
For an example, in order to install Windows on a iMac is a stupid progress, even other PCs can use the same specs.
25th January 2012, 10:53 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
On a tablet it isn't good as far as I am aware. On my laptop - I love it. Anyway, are we going to know for sure when the Win 8 beta and some Intel Android device is out? I mean, would guys around here work out whether it will be possible at that stage?
26th January 2012, 01:02 AM   |  #4  
Flag Pull-The-Man, WA
Thanks Meter: 83

823 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by CacOBG

On a tablet it isn't good as far as I am aware. On my laptop - I love it. Anyway, are we going to know for sure when the Win 8 beta and some Intel Android device is out? I mean, would guys around here work out whether it will be possible at that stage?

I bet most people here would buy off a tablet which run Windows 8 on a Second Gen Core i series.
ASUS seem to be a great deal over this.
28th January 2012, 08:46 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 4

81 posts
does it use the regular BIOS when turned on? if so then yea it'll work. Im not so sure about that touchscreen though, there might not be drivers available for it. It really depends if the controller has been used regularly in windows, or if its some obscure chip that is only now being used in that device.
30th January 2012, 06:47 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 7

36 posts
Based on little knowledge,Win 8 needs 'bios' , be it tablet or mobile.
OEM have to customise the hardware architechture.

I guess win 8 should run all the apps of win 7, based on the excellent backward compatibility of win o/s in general. again certain apps depend on the hardware architechture and the customisations the OEM offer. I may be wrong

As of now, the chaces for such porting seem low, unless some developers here in the community come up with another solution.
30th January 2012, 09:43 AM   |  #7  
Flag Southern CA
Thanks Meter: 100

877 posts
More
as long as it can have BIOS loaded, and drivers can be created, then the answer is yes, it will be possible
4th January 2014, 11:01 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 13

221 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmerrick

as long as it can have BIOS loaded, and drivers can be created, then the answer is yes, it will be possible

Thats exactly it,and with the cheap intel based android tablets coming on the market now,2 years later,this takes on more importance. I do wonder what boot loader they are using for the android tablets. I see that AMD is going to start getting into the mix,and that could be interesting because I understand that AMD has been supporting coreboot. If coreboot is ported to the chipsets in use,it might make an easy path to putting windows or linux on those tablets. Basicly,core boot handles low level hardware initialization,then loads an EFI or OpenBIOS payload,then your off and running In fact,if coreboot is ported,we might even see some RUN coreboot as the bootloader. With android,I can see simply using coreboot to directly boot into the linux kernel,and into android. But if they use it,its open source,so they need to release the code,and your good to go.
5th January 2014, 03:29 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 874

2,133 posts
>Intel Android tablet to Windows 8?

OP should keep up with tech news.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/3/526...soft-objection

TL;DR: Per the piece's header. But MS & Google aren't onboard for turf reasons.

Edit: Oops, just noticed this thread is 2-yrs old, being necro'ed by last posting dude. Disregard response.
Last edited by e.mote; 5th January 2014 at 05:43 PM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread