[XT860][CM9] Working 3G data... finally!

Search This thread

Willis111

Retired Forum Moderator
Sep 7, 2008
Ontario
I sometimes get asked why development takes so long when they take a look at the commit changes and the code hasn't been edited much at all.

*cough* This is a fine example of just such a case.

I'm sure the entire XT860 community appreciates the hard work.

I think there have been a few users banging their heads on this one lol. Tyvm for the smaller patch, figure I might give it a shot against cm7 if I can find the build to download somewhere and remember what rom it's built off etc.

Last edited:

Endoroid

Aug 28, 2011
Surrey
I think there have been a few users banging their heads on this one lol. Tyvm for the smaller patch, figure I might give it a shot against cm7 if I can find the build to download somewhere and remember what rom it's built off etc.

I actually had the same idea. I'm pretty sure I have cm7 on my computer somewhere still. I'll check later on and if you need I'll upload it wherever. As I recall cm7 was pretty close to complete

Sent from my XT862 using xda premium

Reactions: Willis111

Willis111

Retired Forum Moderator
Sep 7, 2008
Ontario
I actually had the same idea. I'm pretty sure I have cm7 on my computer somewhere still. I'll check later on and if you need I'll upload it wherever. As I recall cm7 was pretty close to complete

I would appreciate if you could upload, think I erased the d/l'd files. I think cm7 had some problems w/the camera as well but other than that (and data ofc) it seemed pretty good.

Endoroid

Aug 28, 2011
Surrey
I would appreciate if you could upload, think I erased the d/l'd files. I think cm7 had some problems w/the camera as well but other than that (and data ofc) it seemed pretty good.

3rd party camera apps worked. I may try just dropping in blur camera and see hpw it flies

Willis111

Retired Forum Moderator
Sep 7, 2008
Ontario
TYVM for the links nikeusfr, appreciated and of course results will be shared.

3rd party camera apps worked. I may try just dropping in blur camera and see hpw it flies

I remember hearing that 3rd party camera apps work. You might want to try the atrix cam as well. New ICS is up btw, check the blog.

Reactions: 24861

Hashcode

Senior Recognized Developer
Sep 3, 2011
UPDATE: ok, I re-added the XT860 patch to the blog:
http://hash-of-codes.blogspot.com/p/android-downloads.html

This one is only 200k. I removed the framework.jar and added the new build.prop change instead. So it's a lib file + build.prop. And it should be compatible with ANY future ICS update as well.

Let me know if you have any problems with it. I didn't sign it, but I did put up the md5sum.

Last edited:

Willis111

Retired Forum Moderator
Sep 7, 2008
Ontario

This one is only 200k. I removed the framework.jar and added the new build.prop change instead. So it's a lib file + build.prop. And it should be compatible with ANY future ICS update as well.

Let me know if you have any problems with it. I didn't sign it, but I did put up the md5sum.

I have a question for you regarding this bit of a post here

Rick#2: I can get that frameworks change into my build via a build.prop setting..
ro.ril.ignore.linkiperror=true
(add this to your build.prop and I'll get it in for the next release)

That you don't need to patch frameworks.jar each release.

and your patch for the xt860. I take it just the build.prop edit is needed and not the modded framework.jar. Would I be able to do this with cm7 as well? the new framework.jar wont boot ofc but a few simple build.prop edits and a matching libmoto_ril.so may do the trick. Giving it a go ofc but wondering what your take is.

Hashcode

Senior Recognized Developer
Sep 3, 2011
I have a question for you regarding this bit of a post here

and your patch for the xt860. I take it just the build.prop edit is needed and not the modded framework.jar. Would I be able to do this with cm7 as well? the new framework.jar wont boot ofc but a few simple build.prop edits and a matching libmoto_ril.so may do the trick. Giving it a go ofc but wondering what your take is.

I would need to make the same change in CM7's framework (to allow for the build.prop) and then it would work I think.

Willis111

Retired Forum Moderator
Sep 7, 2008
Ontario
And we'd still have to find a compatible libmoto_ril.so as I think every one I've tried on cm7 has caused a fc loop. Thanks for the reply, flashing your new cm9 now :p

emprize

Jan 15, 2007
i flashed the alpha6 and gsm patch, fc happens, but after i deleted the apk called globalnwswitch.apk, and build.prop changed network mode to 3, no more fc, im not sure which one did the trick, maybe both, but can the patch try set the network mode to 3?

Last edited:

Willis111

Retired Forum Moderator
Sep 7, 2008
Ontario
i flashed the alpha6 and gsm patch, fc happens, but after i deleted the apk called globalnwswitch.apk, and build.prop changed network mode to 3, no more fc, im not sure which one did the trick, maybe both, but can the patch try set the network mode to 3?

Removing the globalnwswitch.apk fixed it. Hashcode troubleshot this for me last night.

dasilva333

Apr 1, 2006
Miami, FL
Still doesn't work

It still doesn't work for me heres what I tried:
-safe system enabled
-wipe cache
-format system
-apply alpha 6
-apply xt860 patch in hashcode's site
-wipe cache

It still gets stuck in a reboot loop. If there's any logs I can provide somehow can someone let me know so I can post them? I'd really like to get CM9 running for me.

Thanks

Rick#2

Mar 15, 2009
St. Albert
dasilva,

I had the same problem (bootlooping with the Bell firmware) so I switched over to the iusacell revision. I'll switch back over to Bell and see if I can figure out why it bootloops and post here if I can get it working.

dasilva333

Apr 1, 2006
Miami, FL
dasilva,

I had the same problem (bootlooping with the Bell firmware) so I switched over to the iusacell revision. I'll switch back over to Bell and see if I can figure out why it bootloops and post here if I can get it working.

How can you switch back to a true Bell firmware if there isnt any Bell fastboot/sbf files?

I can help you figure out I'm also a programmer and I do Android as I previously said I just need to know where to find the relevant log files that log those events. I tried dmesg but I couldnt find anything useful in there.

Any help would be apreciated thanks Rick.

Rick#2

Mar 15, 2009
St. Albert
matdalb conjured up a clean nandroid backup of the latest 2.3.6 Bell firmware, so it's about as close to an .SBF/fastboot as we can get at this point in time, here's the link to Rapidshare where it is hosted:

https://rapidshare.com/files/1705579381/ClockworkMod_v.5.0.2.6_Bell_2.3.6.rar

You have to go back to the old ClockworkMod recovery to use it, I'll make an updated Safestrap-compatible backup that you can flash to your original system partition with my tweaked version of Safestrap. Just away from home right now but I'll try to do it when I get a chance.

I've attached Hashcode's tweaked version of koush's CWM Recovery from a few months ago if you'd like to try it out quicker.

Attachments

• Droid3CWBootstrap.apk
    3.1 MB · Views: 175
Last edited:

Endoroid

Aug 28, 2011
Surrey
matdalb conjured up a clean nandroid backup of the latest 2.3.6 Bell firmware, so it's about as close to an .SBF/fastboot as we can get at this point in time, here's the link to Rapidshare where it is hosted:

https://rapidshare.com/files/1705579381/ClockworkMod_v.5.0.2.6_Bell_2.3.6.rar

You have to go back to the old ClockworkMod recovery to use it, I'll make an updated Safestrap-compatible backup that you can flash to your original system partition with my tweaked version of Safestrap. Just away from home right now but I'll try to do it when I get a chance.

I've attached Hashcode's tweaked version of koush's CWM Recovery from a few months ago if you'd like to try it out quicker.

So really its just /system isn't it? Wouldn't that be the same as the bell 2.3.6 rom that willis111 has in the devsection

Reactions: Rick#2

Rick#2

Mar 15, 2009
St. Albert
LOL, yep, that'll do her. I guess I'm a sucker for punishment... hehe.

Take Endoroid's advice and use what Willis111 has set up, it looks pretty cool.

Rick#2

Mar 15, 2009
St. Albert
Well, I don't know what changed but I'm booting into CM9 just fine now after flashing Willis111's aforementioned Bell 2.3.6 ROM over top of a fresh fastboot from the iusacell revision. I think it might just be general upstream CM changes that fixed whatever problem the Bell software had an issue with that caused the infinite booting problem I had earlier.

Anyone else as lucky as me?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys,

I finally got 3G data working in Hashcode's port of ICS to the Droid 3/XT860. I'm currently using the isuacell (Mexico) revision on a Bell XT860; I wasn't able to get ICS to boot up on the current Bell update, although I'm sure it's something simple I've overlooked. I'm fairly certain it'll work on other software updates such as the ones from Argentina/Brazil, and possibly the ME863 but I don't have the time to test it myself, let me know if it works for you if you're running any of these updates.

Nevertheless, I got it working pretty easily. I don't have time to do a full writeup right now but it was exactly what I suspected earlier, a minor issue in the Android framework causing an exception that would disconnect 3G data a few seconds after a connection to the APN was successfully made. That, combined with Motorola's RIL library from the isuacell firmware and a few build.prop tweaks were all it took, and so far it is running pretty good.

Only major thing I've noticed so far is that the cell status indicator only seems to indicate either perfect reception or none, no in between, but for now I'm pretty stoked this is working as I can finally use ICS on a daily basis instead of switching back and forth a dozen times a day.

Here's a link to a .zip to be installed via Safestrap. Be sure to perform a factory reset and to be safe, mount system and format it in the "mounts and storage" area before installing the zip to ensure a clean install. Also, as Hashcode had mentioned in his release thread, don't let it restore your old settings when you run through the Setup Wizard on the first boot. Enjoy, and be sure to thank Hashcode for all the effort he's put into making our phones even better!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22632665/CM9_XT860.zip
    md5=6302b1733777ad5d7e3d5483d9291591
    176820984 bytes

---------------------------------------

EDIT: I was lazy earlier and just posted the link to the full update, I finally got around to releasing a significantly smaller, more sensible patch:

http://db.tt/HEbusNM3
    xt860_ics_patch_01_30_2012-safe_system-signed.zip
    md5=60dc2db347c7310d0f5e51b0e02b9952
    4231015 bytes

I recommend flashing Hashcode's Alpha 5 release, then doing a factory reset before installing this update in Safestrap. I can make one for the non-safe system users out there too, just didn't bother but it'd take two seconds.

Also, check out my github repos for the changes I made to get 3G data working. (You'll probably laugh when you see the change to android_frameworks_base):

http://github.com/buddyrich

I've kind of mimicked Hashcode to keep things simple; my changes are in the branch "ics-xt860". The easiest way to compile it all from scratch is like this: (Assuming you're in your working directory)

1) repo init -u git://github.com/CyanogenMod/android.git -b ics
    2) cd .repo
    3) git clone git://github.com/buddyrich/android_local_solana.git
    4) cd android_local_solana
    5) git checkout ics-xt860
    5) cp local_manifest.xml ../
    6) rm -f -r android_local_solana
    7) repo sync -j24
    8) Place this file in the root of your working directory, eg: ~/android/system/ : http://db.tt/1HpM2m6r
    9) vendor/cm/get-prebuilts
    10) . build/envsetup.sh
    11) brunch solana

Hey Congrats on setting this up Rick#2!

Get me a patch of just the changed files and I'll host it under the builds so that people can download both files at the same time as new updates happen.

You've single-handedly brought ICS to the XT860!