Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,769,758 Members 46,382 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Nook Tablet Boot Loop

Tip us?

css771
Old
(Last edited by css771; 28th January 2012 at 01:51 AM.) Reason: Adding more details
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default [Q] Nook Tablet Boot Loop

Hi all,

I had rooted my nook tablet using snowball mod about a week ago and I loaded CWM on to the emmc using indirect's one-click recovery flash app. It was all working fine.

I wanted to return to stock and so put the 1.4.0 zip on my sdcard and rebooted. But it went straight to CWM. So I remembered i had to restore the stock recovery and rebooted and flashed stock recovery. only this time, I used the updated version of the one-click app (the updated version of 26th Jan) and hit reboot to recovery. This caused my NT to be in a boot loop ever since.

I have tried the 8 failed reboot method to initiate a factory reset but it didn't work. I also tried using the Nook Recovery Fix but i can't get to install the drivers since if I connect the NT to my computer, it keeps rebooting over and over again and I can't get to show for longer than 2 secs in device manager to install the drivers for Windows. (I was using it on Ubuntu till now).

My NT just turns on, the black screen n logo shows (The "With adobe reader" screen) however it doesn't go any farther than that. It just shuts down. The white nook screen does not even show. It's like it's going through multiple failed reboots without me holding down any buttons. Any help from you guys is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Data Injures
Old
Thanks Meter 1
You have to make a bootable SD with CWM on it so that the computer can actually catch the Nook long enough to do anything. Also, I'm pretty sure the B&N drivers restrict what you can do, but I'm not really sure what's gonna happen if you connect for the first time in CWM. I say use the Nook and Zergy method for the drivers (the first part, runmefirst.bat)

After that, try the Nook Recovery. It should work. I'm not positive on this, but from what I've read, that's what you do.

CWM SD:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1446987

Really though, no promises. Good luck. Lemme know how it turns out.
The Following User Says Thank You to Data Injures For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

css771
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Data Injures View Post
You have to make a bootable SD with CWM on it so that the computer can actually catch the Nook long enough to do anything. Also, I'm pretty sure the B&N drivers restrict what you can do, but I'm not really sure what's gonna happen if you connect for the first time in CWM. I say use the Nook and Zergy method for the drivers (the first part, runmefirst.bat)

After that, try the Nook Recovery. It should work. I'm not positive on this, but from what I've read, that's what you do.

CWM SD:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1446987

Really though, no promises. Good luck. Lemme know how it turns out.
Thanks a lot for your suggestion! I just spent a half hour on the phone with B&N customer service and they agreed to ship out a replacement device. The rep said it was a hardware failure that was causing it to act like that. I was a bit surprised at that. I'm not sure she knew what she was talking about. Anyway I had bought mine off craigslist. And now I'm getting a new device so I guess I can't complain. But I'll try later tonight to restore this one using the bootable CWM you linked to. Thanks again.

css771
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default Follow Up

Just thought of posting a follow up. The bootable CWM method worked. I was able to fix the recovery. Most certainly not a HW problem like the tech claimed. It's working fine now.

Data Injures
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I'm glad to hear that! Now if I have the same problem in the feature I can just follow my own advice. Lol

Sent from my DROIDX using XDA App

nookt_noob
Old
Thanks Meter 0
So I have basically the same problem. My girlfreinds nook was rooted but the OTA update stopped the root from being effective. I tried the sd card revert to 1.4.0 and I hade the problem with the "n" butting not working. When i tried the 8x reset the nook went into an endless boot loop where I see the back screen and the next white screen flashes for like 2 seconds and then reboots. I tried to make the CWM SD card but it still just reboots. My question is that since i never had the CWM mod installed am I pretty much hosed or am I doing something wrong?

winsettr
Old
Thanks Meter 64
What are you using to make the CWM SD card? I strongly recommend using GParted either from a Linux live image or there is a GParted live image you could use. When it works correctly, the bootable SD card that should stop the boot loop.

sailerph
Old
Thanks Meter 3
But why did the boot loop problem occur in the first place ?

myl0h
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailerph View Post
But why did the boot loop problem occur in the first place ?
From what I know of, if you install stock recovery and hit the reboot to recovery button, it initiates the stock recovery which then causes the error. Though I don't know the reason behind nor what's causing the problem, just relaying what I have read around the forums.

Denmmurray
Old
Thanks Meter 1
From what I understand when you flash CWM it's recovery replaces the stock recovery so when you try to install the stock recovery, which you should not do, it is trying to pull from something that's no longer there. I learned this lesson the hard way.