Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,079 Members 51,135 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How to stop system update from popping up???

Tip us?

justen7723
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1670
Default How to stop system update from popping up???

can someone point me i'm the direction of this thread? i've seen it b4 but haven't been able to find it now. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

‹BERô
Old
Recognized Themer
Thanks Meter 8924

DONATE TO ME
Let it install it will fail pop out the battery and it will boot into cwm then just reboot

Sent From My "epic" SPH-D700 via XDA Premium
Nexus 5: Paranoid RastaKat / Faux123
Nexus 7 FHD: Paranoid RastKat / Faux123

The Following User Says Thank You to ‹BERô For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

KennyG123
Old
RC-RT Committee / Senior Moderator / Spider-Mod
Thanks Meter 25569

DONATE TO ME
What Biggie said. The threads you are looking for are in General. As long as you are not fully stock it will fail and probably boot into CWM after popping battery and rebooting. Just hit reboot system.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App

Moderator Directory - - - FORUM RULES - - - Support Autism Awareness here

mikebarr
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I have allowed it to fail, let it boot to CWM, but it just keeps coming back. It is quite annoying. Does anybody have a way to stop it?

KennyG123
Old
RC-RT Committee / Senior Moderator / Spider-Mod
Thanks Meter 25569

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebarr View Post
I have allowed it to fail, let it boot to CWM, but it just keeps coming back. It is quite annoying. Does anybody have a way to stop it?
Google Fotakill. It is an app you have to put in your system\app directory.

Moderator Directory - - - FORUM RULES - - - Support Autism Awareness here

monke30butt
Old
Thanks Meter 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyglass123 View Post
Google Fotakill. It is an app you have to put in your system\app directory.

I tried FOTAKILL, it worked when I was on EC05 to stop the OTA prompt.
But it's not working for me this time. The only thing that stops it for a while is doing like you said. Accepting the update & letting it fail. It came back again one time since then & I did the same thing, this has fixed it for now. But I do still have foatakill installed if that matters.

At least I have a way to stop the prompt for a week or so. I'm just waiting for CleanGB MTD to be updated.

jerm1027
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Not sure if it's any help, but according to the Sprint Rep I spoke with, all security updates come from Samsung. If that is true, its very disturbing. I have used the superfreeze and am running a gingerbread based rom already that does NOT have Carrier IQ. I did find the update zip in the system cache and deleted it, but no luck. The update pops up less often though, but still annoying. With that said, Samsung still has access to download files without consent, dispite a root command to freeze updates. Again very disturbing. []
Galaxy Note II (T-Mobile SGH-T889) - Sons of Android B4
Seidio Active case

flastnoles11
Old
Thanks Meter 4574
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerm1027 View Post
Not sure if it's any help, but according to the Sprint Rep I spoke with, all security updates come from Samsung. If that is true, its very disturbing. I have used the superfreeze and am running a gingerbread based rom already that does NOT have Carrier IQ. I did find the update zip in the system cache and deleted it, but no luck. The update pops up less often though, but still annoying. With that said, Samsung still has access to download files without consent, dispite a root command to freeze updates. Again very disturbing. []
Check the op of my thread in general on how to stop the update message for a PERMANENT fix to the update message...

Sent from my CM9'd epic!

New to the SprintGS3??? Click the link below to get started!!!

DaggettBeaver
Old
Thanks Meter 16
I copied this from a thread in development. This works great. Open up an adb shell. Copy/paste this and run it. It modifies the build.prop file to identify your system as 2.3.6, which will stop the update prompts.

Code:
Select Code
su
remount rw
sed -i 's/SPH-D700-user 2.3.5 GINGERBREAD EI22 release-keys/SPH-D700-user 2.3.6 GINGERBREAD EL30 release-keys/g' /system/build.prop
sed -i 's/sprint\/SPH-D700\/SPH-D700:2.3.5\/GINGERBREAD\/EI22:user\/release-keys/sprint\/SPH-D700\/SPH-D700:2.3.6\/GINGERBREAD\/EL30:user\/release-keys/g' /system/build.prop
remount ro
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaggettBeaver For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

flastnoles11
Old
Thanks Meter 4574
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaggettBeaver View Post
I copied this from a thread in development. This works great. Open up an adb shell. Copy/paste this and run it. It modifies the build.prop file to identify your system as 2.3.6, which will stop the update prompts.

Code:
Select Code
su
remount rw
sed -i 's/SPH-D700-user 2.3.5 GINGERBREAD EI22 release-keys/SPH-D700-user 2.3.6 GINGERBREAD EL30 release-keys/g' /system/build.prop
sed -i 's/sprint\/SPH-D700\/SPH-D700:2.3.5\/GINGERBREAD\/EI22:user\/release-keys/sprint\/SPH-D700\/SPH-D700:2.3.6\/GINGERBREAD\/EL30:user\/release-keys/g' /system/build.prop
remount ro
Yep same method in my thread in general

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

New to the SprintGS3??? Click the link below to get started!!!