Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

How to stop system update from popping up???

OP justen7723

28th January 2012, 06:01 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag toledo
Thanks Meter: 1,805

2,447 posts
More
can someone point me i'm the direction of this thread? i've seen it b4 but haven't been able to find it now. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
28th January 2012, 06:02 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Themer
Flag Texas
Thanks Meter: 8,937

13,778 posts
Donate to Me
More
Let it install it will fail pop out the battery and it will boot into cwm then just reboot

Sent From My "epic" SPH-D700 via XDA Premium
The Following User Says Thank You to ‹BERô For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th January 2012, 08:12 PM   |  #3  
RC-RT Committee / Senior Moderator / Spider-Mod
Flag Right behind you!
Thanks Meter: 26,983

28,758 posts
Donate to Me
More
What Biggie said. The threads you are looking for are in General. As long as you are not fully stock it will fail and probably boot into CWM after popping battery and rebooting. Just hit reboot system.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App
1st February 2012, 01:48 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 1

6 posts
I have allowed it to fail, let it boot to CWM, but it just keeps coming back. It is quite annoying. Does anybody have a way to stop it?
1st February 2012, 01:56 PM   |  #5  
RC-RT Committee / Senior Moderator / Spider-Mod
Flag Right behind you!
Thanks Meter: 26,983

28,758 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebarr

I have allowed it to fail, let it boot to CWM, but it just keeps coming back. It is quite annoying. Does anybody have a way to stop it?

Google Fotakill. It is an app you have to put in your system\app directory.

1st February 2012, 03:54 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 22

122 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyglass123

Google Fotakill. It is an app you have to put in your system\app directory.

I tried FOTAKILL, it worked when I was on EC05 to stop the OTA prompt.
But it's not working for me this time. The only thing that stops it for a while is doing like you said. Accepting the update & letting it fail. It came back again one time since then & I did the same thing, this has fixed it for now. But I do still have foatakill installed if that matters.

At least I have a way to stop the prompt for a week or so. I'm just waiting for CleanGB MTD to be updated.
10th February 2012, 09:25 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 2

64 posts
More
Not sure if it's any help, but according to the Sprint Rep I spoke with, all security updates come from Samsung. If that is true, its very disturbing. I have used the superfreeze and am running a gingerbread based rom already that does NOT have Carrier IQ. I did find the update zip in the system cache and deleted it, but no luck. The update pops up less often though, but still annoying. With that said, Samsung still has access to download files without consent, dispite a root command to freeze updates. Again very disturbing. []
10th February 2012, 09:27 AM   |  #8  
Flag columbia
Thanks Meter: 4,692

8,367 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerm1027

Not sure if it's any help, but according to the Sprint Rep I spoke with, all security updates come from Samsung. If that is true, its very disturbing. I have used the superfreeze and am running a gingerbread based rom already that does NOT have Carrier IQ. I did find the update zip in the system cache and deleted it, but no luck. The update pops up less often though, but still annoying. With that said, Samsung still has access to download files without consent, dispite a root command to freeze updates. Again very disturbing. []

Check the op of my thread in general on how to stop the update message for a PERMANENT fix to the update message...

Sent from my CM9'd epic!
10th February 2012, 02:36 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 16

80 posts
I copied this from a thread in development. This works great. Open up an adb shell. Copy/paste this and run it. It modifies the build.prop file to identify your system as 2.3.6, which will stop the update prompts.

Code:
su
remount rw
sed -i 's/SPH-D700-user 2.3.5 GINGERBREAD EI22 release-keys/SPH-D700-user 2.3.6 GINGERBREAD EL30 release-keys/g' /system/build.prop
sed -i 's/sprint\/SPH-D700\/SPH-D700:2.3.5\/GINGERBREAD\/EI22:user\/release-keys/sprint\/SPH-D700\/SPH-D700:2.3.6\/GINGERBREAD\/EL30:user\/release-keys/g' /system/build.prop
remount ro
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaggettBeaver For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th February 2012, 08:16 PM   |  #10  
Flag columbia
Thanks Meter: 4,692

8,367 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaggettBeaver

I copied this from a thread in development. This works great. Open up an adb shell. Copy/paste this and run it. It modifies the build.prop file to identify your system as 2.3.6, which will stop the update prompts.

Code:
su
remount rw
sed -i 's/SPH-D700-user 2.3.5 GINGERBREAD EI22 release-keys/SPH-D700-user 2.3.6 GINGERBREAD EL30 release-keys/g' /system/build.prop
sed -i 's/sprint\/SPH-D700\/SPH-D700:2.3.5\/GINGERBREAD\/EI22:user\/release-keys/sprint\/SPH-D700\/SPH-D700:2.3.6\/GINGERBREAD\/EL30:user\/release-keys/g' /system/build.prop
remount ro

Yep same method in my thread in general

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread