5,596,235 Members 35,948 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Solve WiFi Errors , Wrong S-ON , Radio Problem, htc Dev Unlock Method ( how it Works)

Tip us?

trkaaa
Old
(Last edited by trkaaa; 15th May 2012 at 10:25 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 892
Default Solve WiFi Errors , Wrong S-ON , Radio Problem, htc Dev Unlock Method ( how it Works)

Solve WiFi Errors , Radio Flashing Problem , Caused by htc Dev Unlock Method , and Solve Wrong S-ON

Other Posts Links

How htc dev unlock method Works

• first of all , i don't like this method ( htc dev unlock method ) because it is tricky
  • this method unlocks some options for Bootloader ( Not All of them ) . htc dev site as i recall says unlocking your bootloader may or could void your warranty !!
  • the Boot.img and Bootloader are still locked , and of course the Radio area is still locked ( it is not the radio we flash to improve signal )
  • locked means those areas can not be over-written
  • it allows you to install Custom Roms , But what htc maybe forgot to tell you is that the custom rom should be using their htc Stock kernel in order to work without errors !!!!!!! . ( Otherwise for Roms with custom kernels , you have to install Custom Kernels in a certain Method to avoid errors like WiFi error !!!! )
  • this certain Method is to flash locked items ( like Boot.img that includes custom Kernel ) through fastboot ( i.e bootloader )
  • [ Update ] This Post is chosen by XDA Portal Here

S-ON

• htc dev unlock method does not give S-off , it only unlocks some options for Bootloader . so ,what you saw ( Unlocked and S-on ) is normal for htc method
  • Some mistakenly think that htc dev unlock method is the same as Revolutionary S-OFF , AND IT IS NOT

DISCLAIMER

Verify with HTC and your Carrier that you are legally Allowed to use any Method in this Post Before using it ,
and Don't use it if you are not legally allowed to

I am not responsible if following this Method results in bricking your phone
Whatever you do is at your Own Risk

Wrongly done S-ON with Security Warning - Downgrade New S-ON
Devices Firmware For Revolutionary S-OFF
  • you have to verify with htc or your carrier if you are allowed to use this method
  • htc dev method is used to solve this Problem , this method is the only known working solution for that Brick problem till now
  • Revolutionary will not work with the New Firmware that comes with some New Devices or Devices that accepted the OTA update
  • Also this Method is implemented through using htc dev method to Downgrade that New Firmware and Successfully Get Revolutionary S-OFF
  • See link in " Other Posts Links "above or click here

Install any ICS Custom Rom for ( S-ON Devices with hboot 1.27.0000 )

• See post # 2 in my other thread here , for how to install any ICS custom Rom while you are S-ON with hboot 1.27.0000

WiFi Error and Custom Roms

• S-OFF devices will not have that WiFi error . the following is for members who used htc dev to unlock bootloader instead of doing Revolutionary S-OFF .
  • Unlock Bootloader using htc dev Unlock Method ( may or could void your warranty ) or Super tool or Check this Post in XDA Portal ( if it is legal to use them ) and ( use htc drivers v3.0.0.7 )
  • you can use a Custom Rom that uses a Custom Kernel ,and solve WiFi error ( while you still on htc dev unlock method , i.e NOT S-OFF ) by installing the Boot.img ( includes custom kernel ) bootloader
  • if the Custom rom uses the Exact same version of htc Stock Kernel ,you will not have WiFi Error
  • Wifi error is usually happens because of the kernel ( in your case it is because of kernel mismatch )
  • in htc Method the Boot.img is still locked , Note that the Boot.img includes the Kernel
  • the kernel is located inside Boot.img , and Also the kernel components ( when you install a rom ) are located in System \ lib \ modules . the Module Folder is a Kernel Folder . if there is a mismatch between kernel and kernel components you will have WiFi error
  • a sample case , the Boot.img is still the htc stock Boot.img ( i.e it includes the stock htc Kernel ) , and you installed a custom Rom that includes a custom Kernel
  • When the Custom rom is being installed it will not be able to replace htc Stock Boot.img ( i.e the Stock Kernel , because it is locked ) , But will be able to install kernel components System \ lib \ modules ( because it is Unlocked ) , and Here comes the kernel mismatch and the WiFi Error ( the Kernel is still the htc stock kernel , and the Kernel components are for a different custom Kernel )

How to flash Boot.img in Bootloader

• Update there is now a new version of 4EXT recovery for S-ON devices v 1.0.0.5 , enable smart flashing in recovery \ tools and it will flash the boot.img by itself " read the restrictions for that method in 4EXT recovery thread "
  • Bootloader should be unlocked using htc dev or super tool or Check this Post in XDA Portal ( if it is legal to use them )
  • the phone should be in bootloader ( fastboot usb )
  • Put boot.img inside adb folder in same place your fastboot.exe
  • Start cmd as administrator and navigate to ADB Folder which includes fastboot.exe and type the command fastboot flash boot boot.img and press enter
  • type the command fastboot reboot and press enter
  • Reboot , the device may reboot several times before reaching the home screen
  • this Procedure souled be done for each custom rom you install to avoid WiFi error or other errors
  • to install your custom Rom ( See link in " Other Posts Links "above or click here ) , Follow title " Custom Rom Flash " and " [ Implementation ] using the above method by member su-27 "

[ Update ]
Alternative Method to Flash Boot.img for Custom Roms
  • Update there is now a new version of 4EXT recovery for S-ON devices v 1.0.0.5 , enable smart flashing in recovery \ tools and it will flash the boot.img by itself " read the restrictions for that method in 4EXT recovery thread "
  • Bootloader should be unlocked using htc dev or super tool or Check this Post in XDA Portal ( if it is legal to use them )
  • the phone should be in bootloader ( fastboot usb )
  • Download recovery img for either CWM or 4EXT
  • Put recovery img ( recovery name.img ) inside ADB folder in same place your fastboot.exe ,
    • recovery name.img is the exact name for the downloaded recovery img that you put inside the ADB Folder
    • it is NOT PG58IMG.zip recovery
  • Start cmd as administrator and navigate to ADB Folder which includes fastboot.exe and type the command fastboot boot recovery name.img and press enter
  • your phone should now go to recovery screen ( loaded through fastboot )
  • install your custom rom as normal and reboot your phone , ( this will install the custom Rom and the Boot.img of the same Custom Rom in the same time )
  • Reboot , the device may reboot several times before reaching the home screen
  • if this method doesn't work , then go back to the original Method

Radio Flashing Problem

• in htc dev unlock method , the Radio is also still locked and most probably htc dev will not allow you to flash a radio alone
  • and in case that htc dev shall allow it ( i doubt that ) , then theoretically !!!! :
    • you have to flash an official release Radio specific for your Sensation version ( Sensation , Sensation 4G , Sensation XE ) , htc method will only allow signed Radio specific for your device , and i guess ( not sure ) it will not allow you to flash a radio for a different Sensation device !!!
    • Example is ( not sure ) , ARHD ROM is Based on sensation XE and most probably their recommended Radio is a sensation XE Radio , if this radio is not officially assigned to your Device by htc , then i guess htc method will not allow that ( because i guess the option in bootloader is still locked )

Press the thanks Button for this Post

if you feel like Pressing my thanks Button , Please do

- Downgrade S-ON New firmware and GB OTA for Successful Revolutionary first time S-off ( Sensation )
here

- Solve WiFi Errors , Radio Flashing Problem , Caused by htc Dev Unlock Method ( Sensation ) here

- [Guide] Successful S-OFF after bricked ( wrong S-ON ) for ICS and GB
( Sensation )
here
The Following 116 Users Say Thank You to trkaaa For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

drms12
Old
Thanks Meter 27
I did S-OFF then htc dev unlock. There is any reason to return to locked htc dev ? I didn't S-ON. I have them both. I didn't notice any problem...
And by the way the file bcm4329.ko is the one which make wifi error.

trkaaa
Old
(Last edited by trkaaa; 29th January 2012 at 02:29 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by drms12 View Post
I did S-OFF then htc dev unlock. There is any reason to return to locked htc dev ? I didn't S-ON. I have them both. I didn't notice any problem...
And by the way the file bcm4329.ko is the one which make wifi error.
  • revolutionary S-OFF have more feature and is Permanent for our Device , So this the best way to get S-OFF
  • you should not done htc dev after revolutionary S-off , just remove it ,and review you bootloader to make sure you are still S-off
  • some doesn't want to do revolutionary thinking that htc dev do the same ,and it is not
  • you said " I didn't notice any problem.....which make wifi error. " htc dev is the cuase of WiFi error if you get it as mentioned in the Post , ( in your case you will not have Wifi error because you are Revolutionary S-OFF which means your boot.img is Not locked )

- Downgrade S-ON New firmware and GB OTA for Successful Revolutionary first time S-off ( Sensation )
here

- Solve WiFi Errors , Radio Flashing Problem , Caused by htc Dev Unlock Method ( Sensation ) here

( Sensation )
here
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trkaaa For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

drms12
Old
(Last edited by drms12; 28th January 2012 at 09:41 PM.)
Thanks Meter 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by trkaaa View Post
  • revolutionary S-OFF have more feature and is Permanent for our Device , So this the best way to get S-OFF
  • you should not done htc dev after revolutionary S-off , just remove it ,and review you bootloader to make sure you are still S-off
  • some doesn't want to do revolutionary thinking that htc dev do the same ,and it is not
  • " I didn't notice any problem. " htc dev is the cuase of the WiFi error you get as mentioned in the Post
I didn't notice any wifi error. I just say that mismatch kernel and system file made that. I'll try relock the htc dev now. Hope I won't mess anything...
Edit: I did lock the htc dev (fastboot oem lock). It still S-OFF and REVOLUTIONARY 1.27 HBOOT. That process didn't wipe data partition. I flashed few zips thru recovery touch and all went good.
Thanks for the post.

trkaaa
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by drms12 View Post
I didn't notice any wifi error. I just say that mismatch kernel and system file made that. I'll try relock the htc dev now. Hope I won't mess anything...
Edit: I did lock the htc dev (fastboot oem lock). It still S-OFF and REVOLUTIONARY 1.27 HBOOT. That process didn't wipe data partition. I flashed few zips thru recovery touch and all went good.
Thanks for the post.
  • You will not have WiFi error because you are S-OFF with revolutionary ( i.e Your Boot.img is not Locked ) ,and your boot.img is replaced during custom rom installation
  • so , if you lock or unlock with htc dev will have no effect and even htc dev should be used while you are S-off Using Revolutionary ( meaningless )

here

( Sensation )
here
The Following User Says Thank You to trkaaa For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

CursedBat
Old
Thanks Meter 44
What is the WiFi error that is stated here?

seadersn
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 1797

DONATE TO ME
no connection at all for example. caused by the fact, that boot.img = kernel can't be changed / written. so for example flashing some other kernel like bricked or tiamat results in non-working w-lan because kernel (=original htc kernel) and wlan module (=bcm4329.ko from for example tiamat kernel) doesn't match.

SpeedyBang
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I still can't get how to fix wi fi . Re install all system or what ?

trkaaa
Old
(Last edited by trkaaa; 24th February 2012 at 04:45 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyBang View Post
I still can't get how to fix wi fi . Re install all system or what ?
  • this method for members who are using htc dev to unlock the bootloader and they are not S-OFF
  • extact the boot.img from the custom rom zip file ( if it is a multi device rom , choose the boot.img under devices\ { sensation }
  • install the custom rom as usual from recovery ,boot to bootloader ( fastboot usb )
  • then flash the boot.img from PC using adb , and the device should be in bootloader ( fastboot usb )
  • then reboot the device and use your Rom
Steps
  • to install your custom Rom ( See link in " Other Posts Links "above or click here ) , Follow title " Custom Rom Flash " and " [ Implementation ] using the above method by member su-27 "
  • see also in the above " Solved wifi error " Post the title " How to flash Boot.img in Bootloader "

Press the thanks Button for this Post

here

( Sensation )
here
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to trkaaa For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

SpeedyBang
Old
(Last edited by SpeedyBang; 6th February 2012 at 07:19 PM.)
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by trkaaa View Post
  • then flash the boot.img from PC using adb , and the device should be in bootloader ( fastboot usb )
What is full command to do that ? And how can I get the fastboot.exe ? Sorry... I'm newbie in android.