FORUMS

HTC Delivering Ads Straight to Sense Home

HTC’s 2015 has been a year marked by a desperate search for revenue.The HTC One M9 … more

Galaxy S6 & Edge get €100 Price Cut—New Models Incoming

Samsung has dropped the price of both the Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge by … more

How To Port Fully Featured Sony Xperia Z4 Camera

Xperia Z4’s hardware may not impress, but its software is definitely … more

Experimental TWRP Available For Moto G 2015

XDA Senior Member squid2 has posted experimental builds of TWRP for the Moto G … more

Fixing Galaxy Note problems

43 posts
Thanks Meter: 2
 
By andruyd, Member on 29th January 2012, 06:33 AM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
Hey guys, I created this thread to chronicle my attempt in fixing my Galaxy Note's broken USB dock connector.

The problem: The phone charges only when off. MTP/USB mass storage won't work. On some roms Car mode wackiness ensued. It seemed like it was possessed; exactly like another persons detail of the problem.

Attempt to fix it: Contacted three wholesalers in China at Alibaba.com for the dock connector for Galaxy Note. Waiting on response right now.

So far I have eleminated everything in my troubleshooting. I've tried multiple custom roms and went and tried two different stock roms with no luck. I also have tried plugging in different kinds of usb cables. I also tried plugging them in different computers.

Anyone can post they're problem-->solution here for future reference.

I found this on google and I thought it was very helpful. HERE IS THE SERVICE MANUAL FOR GALAXY NOTE:
http://letitbit.net/download/55297.5...anual.rar.html
http://www.samsungparts.ru/2012/01/%...000/#more-2963
Last edited by andruyd; 30th January 2012 at 02:39 AM.
 
 
29th January 2012, 07:13 AM |#2  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by andruyd

Hey guys, I'm created this thread to chronicle my attempt in fixing my Galaxy Note's broken USB dock connector.

The problem: The phone charges only when off. MTP/USB mass storage won't work. On some roms Car mode wackiness ensued. It seemed like it was possessed; exactly like another persons detail of the problem.

Attempt to fix it: Contacted three wholesalers in China at Alibaba.com for the dock connector for Galaxy Note. Waiting on response right now.

So far I have eleminated everything in my troubleshooting. I've tried multiple custom roms and went and tried two different stock roms with no luck. I also have tried plugging in different kinds of usb cables. I also tried plugging them in different computers.

Anyone can post they're problem-->solution here for future reference.

I am afraid there is no solution for this type of behavior at this point. I am too had the same experience.

I am awaiting for another responds email from Germany(where my Note came from) to send mine in for a repair. Until then, I can still use my Note with external battery/charger that I got from Amazon.

good luck-
29th January 2012, 07:49 AM |#3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 148
 
More
Are guys plugging the cord in upside down or something? Ive had galaxy s, sgs2 and now note since release day and havent experienced this issue.

GALAXY NOTE
29th January 2012, 08:26 AM |#4  
naimmkassim's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Selangor
Thanks Meter: 97
 
More
Did you guys try use difference charger? I face the same problem once where the charging mode keep changing to dock mode on and off while charging. After i change it use others charger (spare), now everything is ok.

My theory is that the charger started to malfunction n produce too low or too high voltage which trigger the dock mode..my 2 cents.. ;P correct me if im wrong..

Sent from my GT-N7000 using XDA App
29th January 2012, 12:42 PM |#5  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by naimmkassim

Did you guys try use difference charger? I face the same problem once where the charging mode keep changing to dock mode on and off while charging. After i change it use others charger (spare), now everything is ok.

My theory is that the charger started to malfunction n produce too low or too high voltage which trigger the dock mode..my 2 cents.. ;P correct me if im wrong..

Sent from my GT-N7000 using XDA App

I can assure you it's not the charger or the data cable, as I have plenty laying around. My money is on the logic board.
29th January 2012, 01:53 PM |#6  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by naimmkassim

Did you guys try use difference charger? I face the same problem once where the charging mode keep changing to dock mode on and off while charging. After i change it use others charger (spare), now everything is ok.

My theory is that the charger started to malfunction n produce too low or too high voltage which trigger the dock mode..my 2 cents.. ;P correct me if im wrong..

Sent from my GT-N7000 using XDA App

After having 2 SGNote units being bricked and (luckily) replaced with a new unit everytime, I found that the root cause for the SGNote being bricked is a weak USB interface and protection circuit. At first I thought I just messed up the rooting process that's why I bricked the device. When my 2nd replacement unit also got bricked, I traced back that the only common denominator was a rogue iphone charger that I used to recharge the device. Knowing that the weakness of the SGNote is the USB circuit, I'm now careful to use no other charger but the stock charger that came with the unit.
Last edited by wolfmanx; 29th January 2012 at 11:01 PM. Reason: wrong spelling
29th January 2012, 02:07 PM |#7  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmanx

After having 2 SGNote units being bricked and (luckily) replaced with a new unit everytime, I found that the root cause for the SGNote being bricked is a weak USB interface and protection circuit. At first I thought I just messed up the rooting process that's why I bricked the device. When my 2nd replacement unit also got bricked, I traced back that the only common denominator was a rouge iphone charger that I used to recharge the device. Knowing that the weakness of the SGNote is the USB circuit, I'm now careful to use no other charger but the stock charger that came with the unit.

Yeah this makes sense.

Anyway this is the part I'm trying to acquire:
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/52...lex_Cable.html
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/52...000_I9220.html
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/52...or_Samung.html

I strongly believe that the Galaxy S2 USB problems are of similar nature and the solution was to replace the USB dock connector. This gives me a lot of hope since it's easy enough to do. There is no soldering involved AFAIK since it just came off during the Galaxy Note teardown video on youtube @2:28 and @3:36 (ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFDr3PQMTxw). Correct me if I'm wrong.
Last edited by andruyd; 29th January 2012 at 02:29 PM.
29th January 2012, 02:16 PM |#8  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 81
 
More
its definitely a hardware issue and has been traced to the usb port inside the phone. I have the same issue and I am also waiting for the part to replace the damaged one inside my phone.
here is what I am doing to make my phone function-able:
When you connect the usb cord to charge the phone you have to press it down hard and then slide it out. this will temporarily fix the physical usb port pins and allow your phone to function normally. you have to do this every time when you connect and disconnect the usb cord. I will use my phone like this until the part becomes available to buy. I have a feeling, this phone is very delicately designed and can get bricked all by itself.
29th January 2012, 02:19 PM |#9  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 137
 
More
My note does not charge with Three of my HTC chargers neither does it charge with another car charger.but charges fine with the Samsung charger.has sometimes issues with otg with Samsung otg cable and another otg cable. Even today when I used a Samsung otg cable to connect my note with a Samsung galaxy s2 via a Samsung USB cable, the otg features did not work, the s2 just said mtp and note said unknown device connected! So there are issues with this USB on the note.
Last edited by bubblesmoney; 29th January 2012 at 02:20 PM. Reason: edit
29th January 2012, 02:30 PM |#10  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
More
I saw a youtube video for Galaxy S2 where he suspected that it was a malfunctioning USB dock. He replaced it and all the symptoms were gone. I'm really going full press on this and hopefully I can help myself and others who have similar problems. I've read up on USB problems the last 2 days from Galaxy Note users and Galaxy S2. They are very similar in design other than the screen/stylus.
Last edited by andruyd; 29th January 2012 at 02:33 PM.
29th January 2012, 02:34 PM |#11  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bannork

I am afraid there is no solution for this type of behavior at this point. I am too had the same experience.

I am awaiting for another responds email from Germany(where my Note came from) to send mine in for a repair. Until then, I can still use my Note with external battery/charger that I got from Amazon.

good luck-

Please keep us updated on your progress.

BTW to the folks having USB issues, are you having unusual battery drain? What other quirks have you encountered?

Has anyone compared the shape of the USB dock connector for Galaxy S, Galaxy S2, Galaxy Nexus and Galaxy Note? I wonder if they are all the same shape and if I should try and look at replacing that part only? If it is the same then I will get this http://cnn.cn/shop/samsung-i9000-gal...r-p-10745.html since it's cheap and I've got nothing to lose if it doesn't work.
Last edited by andruyd; 29th January 2012 at 02:50 PM.

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes