[Q] Viber messages backup anyone?

Search This thread

Apoelara1

May 12, 2010
Nicosia
Yes the phone is rooted with custom rom installed.

The backup/restore was done using Titanium backup.

When I say It looks like viber cannot find which image should bring I was trying to describe your words "... if it still contains the links to your image files..."

How can I check this? If links are not there how can I create them?

Anybody to help me link my viber images to my chats?

Thanks a lot.

Hus Dah

Oct 5, 2014
Damascus
Lost my Chats

Hello
Two days ago, Viber updated itself only to present me with the activation request message. I panicked and backed up Viber using Titanium Backup, and followed all of the steps mentioned in this thread, but without success. All messages are gone, and I’m repeatedly presented with either the activation request or a blank Viber inviting me to start a chat.

I pulled the “viber_messages” file from the doomed TB backup and was able to view it on my PC in MS Excel. Although horribly mangled, I can see that it contains my most recent chats, which happen to be so dear to my heart.

I would love to be able to restore those messages from the most recent backup, but I’m desperate enough to accept having them viewable in MS Excel whereby I can view the date and time of messages, sort them by contact name, etc.

I will be eternally grateful to anyone who can offer help on this request.

Thanks in advance.

Apoelara1

May 12, 2010
Nicosia
It's not possible for non rooted phones, that's because you don't have R/W permissions to /data folder.

The TB has this /data/data...../viber messages but I cannot find where to put it in the new phone.
So, Where do you replace /data/data/com.viber.voip/databases/viber_messages? Where does it located in the phone?

snebojsa

Apr 10, 2012
Belgrade
It's located exactly like you wrote: /data/data/com.viber.voip/databases/
Your phone must be rooted to do this and you must use some file explorer, like ES file explorer, FX file explorer, Root browser...

snebojsa

Apr 10, 2012
Belgrade
Yes, just copy viber/media folder and after restore viber, copy back that folder, it contains pictures and videos.

treysis

Jun 30, 2014
Yes, just copy viber/media folder and after restore viber, copy back that folder, it contains pictures and videos.

I did that. But if I open a chat with images, it just shows a black image and if I try to open it it says "file not found".

Edit: I just realized that I am facing the same problem now as @Apoelara1, who I tried to help 1.5 years ago...now I fully understand what is his problem. And I have no solution. :(

Last edited:

snebojsa

Apr 10, 2012
Belgrade
I backup/restore viber couple times in past years and never experienced such problems.
Maybe you have deleted original/source image from gallery by mistake, then it can't be opened, you will have just thumbnail preview in chat.

treysis

Jun 30, 2014
I backup/restore viber couple times in past years and never experienced such problems.
Maybe you have deleted original/source image from gallery by mistake, then it can't be opened, you will have just thumbnail preview in chat.

No, I don't even have thumbnail preview in chat. Maybe you used Titanium Backup to restore? I don't have root, so I cannot use TB.

It's really annoying. I now restored my account to a rooted phone, and after restoring had a look at the viber_messages db, to investigate. Well, this has been altered quite a bit. All links to images have been replaced by some pseudo-link, e.g. "http://viber-fake-uri.com/newmedia?dlid=a0321d34f32e4137745403f65865e542076fd238fa38b26b6a6bf4d1558aafdd&vrnt=400&fltp=jpg" where the id in this link is reflecting the correct image name (in this case: image-a0321d34f32e4137745403f65865e542076fd238fa38b26b6a6bf4d1558aafdd-V.jpg). So, obviously Viber cannot find the file. Newly received images will instead have the filename instead of this pseudo-link. So, at the moment it's impossible to restore chats with images.

Really, Viber, what BS is that backup function? What were you thinking? Why would anyone want that? Does it have anything to do with message encryption or anything? Really, this is stupid.

Now, it would be cool if Viber would in a future version convert this links back so that I can see images inline.

glitho

May 21, 2015
how you back up com.viber.tar.gz? Could you give me some more details step by step? And what files are restored? All files? and the audio ones?

OK Guys this is the only 100 percent way and after restore the activation screen wont ruin every thing
first: u need you backed up com.viber.voip .tar.gz file
second : u creat an empty zip file by right click . create zip
third: you drag the data folder that was in .tar.gz file and drop it in the zip file
fourth: you rename the zip file the same az .tar.gz file
fifth:eek:pen the zip file go into "com.viber.voip" folder inside the zip file and remove everything exept "database" folder
sixth:go inside "database" folder and remove everything exept "viber_messeges" and "viber_messeges-journal"

ok now and this is the most important part

seventh: go to www zamzar com convert zip-to-tar.gz and convert your zip file to *.tar.gz file
eighth:copy the converted .tar.gz file to the "go backup" or "titanium backup" folder (be careful the name of your file must match the original name)
ok now your good to go just go inside "go backup" or "titanium backup" on your phone and restore viber
THIS GUIDE WONT DISAPOINT YOU

Nikos kouk

Nov 12, 2015
Hello
Can tell me anyone where I found the old backup because I quit messages and after I fix new backup but I want this message ....if anyone can help me the backup is on drive but I can't founds it

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    +1
    Have the exact problem with TB and activation process, messages are gone after activation, but i have the solution that worked for me:

In TB folder find com.viber.voip-(some numbers).tar archive
    open \data\data\com.viber.voip\.\databases
    find both "viber_messages" AND "viber_messages_journal" files
    copy them to \data\data\com.viber.voip\databases on the phone
    change permission for viber_messages to RW RW --
    change permission for viber_messages_journal to RWX RW --
    restart phone and that's it, you will have all your messages :)

Only Root Explorer can see that folder, worth the $3.75 i paid :good:

You can do this with ES file explorer, just go to settings/display settings/ and tick "show hidden files", great program and it's free :good:
    On a rooted phone copy the /data/data/com.viber.voip/databases/viber_messages file to sd-card or whatever.

After new install, put the file back, make sure it has the right permissions and do a compleate restart of Viber.

Done and done.

(Its very lazy of Viber to not include a backup-functionality of messages, as this is SQLite databases that could very easily be dumped out to disc and imported)
    Thanks to everyone posting here. I tried all the suggestions and nothing worked, Viber would boot and ask for authorisation then crash every time after i had copied files into the databases folder.

What eventually worked for me was...
    - Back up with Titanium and restore as normal in your new device
    - Let Viber go through the activation code procedure
    - Unpack the com.viber.voip.xxx-date-xxx.tar.gz in the Titanium Backup folder using ES FIle Explorer
    - Unpack the subsequent com.viber.voip.xxx-date-xxx.tar file with ZArchiver
    - Use File Explorer to copy the "viber_messages" file from the newly created data/data/com.viber.voip/databases folder into the main /data/data/com.viber.voip/databases folder on the device
    - Change "viber_messages" permissions to rw- rw- ---
    - Change owner from root to the same as it is for other files in the folder (on my device this was changed to u0_a142)
    - Change group from root as well (on my device this was also changed to u0_a142)
    - Restart Viber

:good:
    Same problem here! I can see the messages at first (after restoring APK + data from titanium or mybackuppro), but Viber wipes them when it asks me to reactivate. This whole thing is a mess. Anyone know a possible solution? I also have lots of messages that are important and I would like to restore.

I have exactly the same problem with the one the two last users are dealing with.
    As soon as i got updated to Android 4.3 and restored Viber and its data with Titanium Backup, the first time i run Viber i can see my messages for 1 or 2 secs and then activation screen appears. After finishing app's activation i can't see my messages anymore..

Swyped from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

If you have a titanium backup, unzip the backup file and extract the viber_messages file and replace the one in /data/data/com.viber.voip/databases/viber_messages by root browser. It worked for me.
    On a rooted phone copy the /data/data/com.viber.voip/databases/viber_messages file to sd-card or whatever.

After new install, put the file back, make sure it has the right permissions and do a compleate restart of Viber.

Done and done.

(Its very lazy of Viber to not include a backup-functionality of messages, as this is SQLite databases that could very easily be dumped out to disc and imported)

good trick, agree that viber is lazy:eek: