[TUTORIAL] Samsung Epic 4G Flash to Straight Talk
Instructions for flashing the Samsung Epic 4G (or similar Sprint Android phone) to Straight Talk (Verizon), with FULLY working talk/text/3G EVDO RevA data, AND MMS (No Sprint 4G obviously)
(I don't think Visual voicemail or anything like that will work, but I use Google Voice anyway so I don't know.. regular old voicemail calling works though.)
I can't be held responsible for anything you do illegal or not, or anything you might break, you're reading and following this guide at your own risk, if you brick your phone etc, blah blah blah. If you get booted from Straight Talk or get the "air tank" software crap that *some* people are getting, don't look at me... etc etc etc
Also, don't use excessive data over 2GB/month, you might get a warning or get booted
Notes: Props to modman72 for this guide http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1210240 and, thanks to other random people off XDA, howard forums, etc. XDA has some great devs who make amazing ROMs, thank you!
Speed test of my Epic on Straight Talk (Verizon's towers) over 3G Data... (and btw no I don't live in War WV or whatever the location says
What you need:
* Verizon phone
, like the Samsung Fascinate (needed to get 3G EVDO RevA HA, AAA, and DMU10 keys) yeah it sucks you need a VZW phone, but Straight Talk does run off Verizon towers, borrow one from a friend or something -- if you only want talk/text, don't worry about this. The first time you over the air (OTA) activate on Straight Talk with your donor MEID, your keys will be programmed in the phone, you can only get them with a VZW phone the first time you OTA. Once you get the keys, you don't need the VZW phone any more, just the first time you activate, make sense? If your donor phone was already activated, you'll need a new donor.
* CDMA Straight Talk donor phone & service plan
(phone model ends in C for CDMA), and a 30-day unlimited service plan. For example, you can get the LG 220C for $50 with a 30-day plan, makes the phone cost just $5 bucks http://www.walmart.com/ip/Straight-T...ished/17113676
NOTE: You only need the ST donor phone for the MEID, NEVER turn on the phone or even put the battery in it, never never ever, got it? Good
Q: What other Verizon phones can I use?
A: You should be able to use any Verizon 3G phone to extract the HA AAA and DMU10 keys IF you can do the following on your phone
1) Put phone in diagnostic mode and access it on your PC over COM port using DFS/Cdma WS/QPST/etc
2) Unlock phone using current SPC and or 16 digit password if applicable
3) Change SPC, MEID, and PRL on your phone
4) ...should be it, as long as phone works and you can use it to program all those settings as well as read the settings back, and dial the *22890/*228 number to activate on Verizon/StraightTalk
If you want to use a Verizon phone other than the Fascinate then you need to figure out how to do all the above for your specific phone, so search XDA, howard forums, etc. Obviously its not the same for each phone...
* Samsung USB drivers for Samsung Epic
click manuals and downloads, then click software
- download from http://cdmatool.com/Download
and register for Demo account at http://cdmatool.com/Register
it shouldn't expire and a Demo account will work fine, just has a nag screen making you wait 60 seconds every time you run it. After you download & install make sure to enter your login that you registered.
(You only need CDMA WS and QPST if you plan on doing 3G, again you need a VZW phone to get 3G on your Sprint one)
* CDMA Workshop 2.7
-- just google this, not gonna link to the pirated software, https://www.google.com/search?q=cdma+workshop+2.7
try the first result
* QPST 2.7 build 348 or newer
, just google this one too and find a download for it https://www.google.com/search?q=qpst+download+2.7+348
* PRL and DFS settings
: Contains the Straight Talk PRL for VZW/Sprint phones, and screenshots for how the DFS settings should look on a Sprint phone to get 3G working: http://www.mediafire.com/?cldpvp9g7h57amo MIRROR
: check attachments at bottom of this post
Also useful, for reference. I have provided the 16 digit Epic password to unlock phone below though, and how to put in DIAG mode, etc...
NOTE: Dial codes don't work on the Epic running ICS/JB/etc ROMs, so you will need a custom launcher that allows you to create an activity shortcut to the Diagnostic mode, DEBUG mode, etc etc. See my post here for info: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=405
Still reading so far, haven't given up yet? Let's continue...
Flashing the fascinate:
This is using DFS 18.104.22.168 or newer
If you don't have a VZW phone, and just want talk/text on your Sprint phone, just follow these steps and it will work. Make sure your SPC is 000000 on the phone though, if not, write it to the phone and save your old one!
1) Factory reset VZW phone, after it reboots make sure everything including activation is erased (factory reset may not be completely necessary, but I did it, and it worked this way, so, yeah)
2) Make sure you know how to bypass VZW activation screen so you can access the phone's menu settings and everything without a problem, even while it's not activated. (Or if you're phone doesn't require you to bypass anything, you're set) -- If you're using the Samsung Fascinate, bypass activation by clicking emergency call and dialing *#83786633
3) Go ahead and put your VZW phone in DIAG mode or whatever it's called per your phone, so you can access it over DFS/CDMA WS/ETC. For the Samsung Fascinate, you do this by dialing **33284 entering in the SPC as 6 zero's (000000) and set the phone to Dialup Networking Mode
4) Open DFS and connect to your VZW phone's COM port, if you don't know the COM port # look in Device Manger under your computer under Ports (COM & LPT) (if you haven't already, you were supposed to connect your phone over USB to your PC, then the COM port for the phone will appear on your PC)
4) Enter your SPC in DFS to unlock, and hit the send button next to the text box. Make sure the SPC is 000000 (6 zeros) so it can activate without any problems. Logging at the bottom should say phone unlocked after sending unlock code. Also, if your phone has one, send the 16 digit password for your VZW phone, to unlock changing the MEID. The samsung fascinate 16 digit pass is 2010031619780721
5) Changing the MEID... In DFS, go under the Programming tab, then the General tab, go ahead and enter the DEC for your ST MEID, and hit write MEID (Make sure to save your old VZW MEID if you want)
6) After you hit write, hit read, and make sure the MEID stuck. If you want to double check the MEID saved, which you probably should, at the top right of DFS hit the Reset button to reset your phone, then read the MEID again to make sure the ST MEID you wrote stuck.
7) Still connected to your phone in DFS, click the NAM tab, and under PRL click the load button, and select the Straight Talk PRL file. In the text box under enabled it should say 51765 which is the PRL number for ST. After it says this, hit write. If you want to confirm it wrote successfully, hit read, or reset the phone, and hit read again and make sure.
8) Now your VZW phone should have the ST MEID and the ST PRL (which tells the phone to connect to ST/VZW's phone towers), if it doesn't don't proceed and troubleshoot what's wrong.
9) If you've made it this far, go ahead and add your Straight Talk MEID on their website so you can activate the phone, or call them and tell them to add it. You could do this step first, but I listed it as step 9 so you can make sure the PRL and MEID get set on your VZW phone first. http://straighttalk.com/activate
10) After you hangup with Straight Talk or added the MEID online to your account, on your VZW phone go ahead and dial *22890, *22891, or *22800 one of those should work and it should activate your phone. Usually the first number works fine, but just in case. You can also go ahead and update to the latest PRL after activating, for the PRL you dial *22891 and it should update your roaming list, it might prompt you to press 1 to do this. Once you have the latest PRL you can copy it back to your computer, and then over to your Samsung Epic later on...
11) During the OTA activation the VZW phone will pull all the settings, and if this is the first time the donor MEID has been activated it will be able to pull the HA AAA and DMU10 keys needed for 3G EVDO RevA
12) If everything went successfully, everything will work on the VZW Phone. Talk/Text/Data/MMS and you will be able to copy the keys to a sprint phone!
Phew, congrats, you're half way done. Okay, now you have your VZW phone working on ST with everything, now we're going to port everything over to the Samsung Epic 4G (or similar Sprint Android phone):
This is assuming you have DFS, QPST 2.7 Build 348 or newer, and CDMA workshop 2.7 or newer
This is from VZW phone on ST with working talk/text/working 3G/etc, don't connect Sprint phone yet
1) Open QPST Configuration, add your port to your phone, then under Start Clients click EFS Explorer
2) Look for a folder on the phone called "DMU", open the folder and copy the dmu.10 key to your desktop or somewhere close by
3) Close QPST and EFS explorer, then open DFS and connect to phone
4) Navigate to the Programming tab, then Mobile IP. Click on the bullet for the top profile and it should read the profile
5) Now you will see the HA and AAA keys for 3G EVDO RevA, copy those keys to a text file, labeling them like HA=(your ha key) and AAA=(your aaa key) so you don't get them mixed up. You can go ahead and copy your username too, should be your 10 digit phone number at vzw3g, ex email@example.com
6) Close DFS... Open CDMA workshop
7) Save the NAM settings to a file from CDMA workshop, this is so you don't have to OTA your Sprint phone. Open CDMA WS, under NAM hit read, then save to a file. If you can't read the NAM, try putting phone in unlock mode first, use Security tab, type 6 zeros into the box, and hit SPC and send.
8) Power off VZW phone and remove battery, you can factory erase if you want, or leave it for now incase you need to refer to it later. Whatever you do, DO NOT have a Sprint phone and VZW phone both powered on with the same MEID as your donor ST phone, don't be stupid!!!
9) Power on sprint phone, and set the ST MEID and ST PRL on it, and also make sure the SPC is 6 zeros just in case, backup your old SPC if needed. To put the Epic in diag mode, go to the dialer and type ##8778# ( if you're under ICS/JB/etc dial codes don't work, so look at my post here
) and under USB, make sure the Modem bullet is checked, not PDA. When changing the MEID on your Epic, make sure to enter in the 16 digit Epic pass to unlock phone, the password is 01F2030F5F678FF9 and you can also write the SPC and change it to 6 0's after you enter this pass. Under Programming and general you can write your SPC, or use CDMA WS to write the SPC, just make sure you unlock phone first with 16 digit pass
10) Use CDMA workshop to write the NAM file you copied from the VZW phone (so you don't have to OTA again). If it doesn't write, unlock the phone first from the security tab, click the 2nd bullet for password, and copy the 16 digit Epic pass in and hit send.
11) Open QPST again, click EFS Explorer, and copy the dmu.10 key over, if the DMU folder doesn't exist then create it and copy the key into the folder. By default most (or all?) Sprint phones won't have the DMU folder, so you will have to create it. * The filename should be "10.key" and in the DMU folder *
12) Too much to write.. see attached screenshots in the ST_FLASH zip for DFS settings, it is attached to the thread and also linked above... Make sure all the settings match what's in the pictures. Obviously fill in "YourPhone#" with the phone # you have on ST, no dashes or anything, just the 10 digit number. Once it is correct, write the settings. Before you make any changes, just in case, might want to backup/screen shot your current Sprint settings for your phone just in case you mess up anything or ever need to go back...
13) If you write the settings, and then read them, and the vzw passwords, or the AAA or HA key is blank, don't worry, as long as you write it correctly it's fine. I can't view mine either on my phone, just make sure everything is right
14) After you saved everything, reboot phone, turn data on and you should be good. If you have problems do ##DEBUG## or ##33284# in the dialer and enter your SPC and make sure the AAA key is Passing by clicking EVDO Enginnering and checking AN-AAA. As long as AAA passes it means you're good and are authenticating, and should get an IP Address right below it.
Also, if the Sprint activation app keeps coming up on your phone saying you need to activate, just cancel it and use a root file manager and rename/disable "SprintAndroidExtension.apk", it is in the system/app folder...
Getting MMS to work on the Epic
Not sure exactly how I ended up getting mine working, for awhile it had been working off and on. If you're on ICS you can try this thread entitled MMS Fix for Epics on Alternative Carriers http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1622055
What I did recently to get MMS to work, thanks to a suggestion from slickrichierich, is the following: (and so far so good, it hasn't stopped working)
1. Goto your phone dialer. Dial ##DATA# or Dial ##3282# (same thing)
2. Click Edit. and enter your spc/msl password (should be 6 zero's 000000)
3. Click on Others, and goto MMSC URL
4. After you select the MMSC Tab put in the following.
6. exit and test your picture messages
If that doesn't work, dunno what to tell you, other than mine is working.
Removing Sprint RTSP and HTTPD proxies
I had to do this to get apps and sites working like YouTube, GrooveShark, Pandora, etc..
1. Goto your phone dialer. Dial ##DATA# or Dial ##3282# (same thing)
2. Click Edit. and enter your spc/msl password (should be 6 zero's 000000)
3. Click on Others, and goto Multimedia
4. Click on each one and erase all the text in all 4 values. After you erase each hit OK, and it should change the value to <Not set>
5. If you ever need restore them back, write them down, or here they are:
Annnndd that about wraps it up. Please try to read through everything to see if your questions might be answered already in the guide. Goodluck, and don't use excess data over 2GB/month, especially if you tether!!
Originally Posted by justan00b
Thinking about posting a guide for flashing the Samsung Epic (or similar Sprint Android phone) to Walmart's Straight Talk service (CDMA using VZW), just wanted to give back what I could contribute to XDA.. sucks there is no info about this besides douches and spammers on ebay charging ridiculous amounts of $$ to flash this. Since this exists, am I allowed to post a guide similar? http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1210240
And for some people saying blah blah ST sucks, or they'll disconnect you, "air tank" prepaid crap will get you kicked off, use boost mobile, etc -- this is just a use at your own risk guide.
I flashed my own Epic and it's worked great for almost 3 months, 3G and everything, only MMS doesn't work, just sayin...
thanks for the feedback