Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Game][2.3+] 2d running platformer Crisp Bacon: Run Pig Run - huge update!

OP SnottyApps

31st January 2012, 04:08 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 7

52 posts
Hello again, everyone!

It's time to bump this over 2 year old thread, because Run Pig Run finally got an update it deserved and needed right now. There has been many reasons, why it took so long, but lets not get in to that now. I can't even start describing, what was changed... Almost everything, actually.

Gameplay gif:

Gameplay trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bgaK7NcOxw

Download link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ttyapps.pigrun

A couple of happy bees holding a QR code:

Still only using Canvas. Still doing my own art and code. Finally getting decently motivated and looking forward to improving this and making new gamedev projects!

Quote:

31st January 2012, 03:08 PM post. Saved for history!

Hello, xda-devs!

A while ago I've uploaded my first game ever to Android market and currently I'm furiously searching for any feedback, so I could fix and improve it as much as I can before starting to create new levels, power ups and other "secondary" features.

It's a simple 2d platformer+running game, but it is the biggest my Android project so far and I'm very happy that it is actually.. em.. works!

Edit: adding old gameplay gif for comparison
;

In-game screenshot:

I'd love to hear what you think and what's wrong with this little game - every bug report is priceless!

Is there anything else I must/should add? I'm pretty new here.

Last edited by SnottyApps; 17th April 2014 at 10:39 PM. Reason: completely new game version
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SnottyApps For This Useful Post: [ View ]
1st February 2012, 06:21 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 0

9 posts
Hey, I tryed your game and I really like the cute graphics.

Be careful with the menu structure, It can get unintuitive very fast. Less is more in that case.

What I was wondering is how you coded the game. Are you coding in Java, or native C++? Do you use a engine or do you to everything yourself?
1st February 2012, 11:19 PM   |  #3  
OP Member

52 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwebi

Hey, I tryed your game and I really like the cute graphics.

Be careful with the menu structure, It can get unintuitive very fast. Less is more in that case.

What I was wondering is how you coded the game. Are you coding in Java, or native C++? Do you use a engine or do you to everything yourself?

Thanks, I'll try to keep my menus as simple as possible. I don't think that main menu will have more buttons anyway, so I'll just have to tidy them up a bit.

I'm coding in Java and using only basic SurfaceView. I was thinking about engines before I've started to develop this game, but I decided to see how everything works in the "basic" (if that's the right word) level.
2nd February 2012, 01:10 AM   |  #4  

9 posts
So you're not even using OpenGL ES?
I'm impressed by the performance of the game.
How did you code the sprite animations if I may ask?
2nd February 2012, 01:27 AM   |  #5  
OP Member

52 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwebi

So you're not even using OpenGL ES?
I'm impressed by the performance of the game.
How did you code the sprite animations if I may ask?

Nop, just a basic SurfaceView. I don't really know if I'm doing something right in drawing, except avoiding using images with transparency as much as possible (which sucks, because I'd love to add one more movable layer of background). It, actually, runs pretty slow in low-end devices, but I'm planing to optimize background images for them.

My animation code is absolutely basic, because I just used code from some video tutorial, so I just have use one image with all sprites and, depending on which state pig is in, set sprite offset and animation frame count of that sate.
2nd February 2012, 03:49 AM   |  #6  
Flag NW Suburbs of Chicago

73 posts
More
It works very well on my Transformer, I haven't played it much so I haven't gotten a bug yet. I'll be playing it tomorrow at school so if I find anything I'll let you know.
2nd February 2012, 07:36 PM   |  #7  
OP Member

52 posts
1.5 update

* added sprites (a bit ugly, for now) for extra high DPI devices
* added "vibration" for better "being hurt" feedback (needs new permission for that)
* lowered music volume, so it wouldn't overwhelm the sound effects
* fixed a "force close" while loading level (thanks, whoever did hit that report button!)
* balanced climbing speed
5th February 2012, 12:35 AM   |  #8  
OP Member

52 posts

* improved background drawing performance (saved up to 5 milliseconds per frame while playing around with different PixelFormats). Hopefully it won't ruin performance in non-samsung devices.
* added power up: pepper
* added collectable: empty bottle
* added new map allowing to test new "pepper" and new game mode (collect as many bottles as possible)
* updated "boring map" and made it less boring
* changes in level stats to fit new modes
* fixed several force-close bugs
* fixed "exit" button in settings page
* minor bugfixes and updates

Also, people are reporting that Galaxy Nexus control issues are fixed now.

https://market.android.com/details?i...ttyapps.pigrun
10th February 2012, 03:59 PM   |  #9  
OP Member

52 posts
1.6.1 update:
* fixed issues with low-dpi screens

1.6.2 update:
* added new level to test new gameplay mechanics: level is repeatable, with unlimited time, but after you run trough it second/third lap there are no valuables or bombs you've collected/exploded in previous level rotations.
13th February 2012, 05:17 PM   |  #10  
OP Member

52 posts
1.6.3 update

I've added new test level, where I experiment with boss fights. Player is able to throw bottles at huge evil bomb which spawns smaller, but still evil, bobs. So far, it's very simple, but I have big plans for such kind of levels.

Increased character acceleration to reward players running "fluently" for longer periods of time.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread