Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,767,951 Members 39,719 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Opened my Prime! - GPS, WIFI Discussion on hardware mods and fixes. Light Bleed Fixed

Tip us?

demandarin
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2044
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilostmypistons View Post
Yup this could be real bad for Asus
I cant even image how big your grin will be if the pogos turn out to be the weak link.... I hope your pogo theory is correct and Asus can rectify the WiFi/GPS problems.
I know right..lol. bit seriously this not about trying to dissaprove the backplate being a factor. As I've been accepted the fact that a metal backplate can affect or hinder wireless performance. MY whole thing was that other factors could be involved also. That the backplate is not the "Only" reason. Whether it be another piece of hardware or a combo of hardware n software. Some people think I think backplate is not a factor or possible issue. I never said that. I just wanted to dig deeper then the plain obvious reason given. Which Asus never really confirmed themselves. All Asus said was that backplate "Could" be affecting GPS signal. Not that it was "definitely without a doubt" the reason. Plus a backplate issue would be less harmful to Asus vs. Them having to say some pogo pins are the culprit. It would look really bad on Asus that something as small as this wasn't put together properly and would probably force them to recall all primes. As there is no way of telling which ones work well n not. They would have to take them all back n fix them. Easy solution was to comment on backplate as possible issue and take GPS off spec. That way, everything is still moving according to their plan. Its also possible that engineers never caught or thought of this new possible issue and xda is the first to unveil it. Who knows?

One thing I've noticed though is that whenever talks up here in the forum get heated, Asus pushes out an update to try to put people at ease..lol. so expect an update any day now, especially once they catch wind of this thread.

IPAD- 32GB WiFi ver. 4.2.1

Transformer Prime 32GB(Retired)

NEXUS 7 16gb Unlocked & Rooted JB 4.3 CleanRom 4.0 Faux Kernel

Galaxy Note 10.1 32gb- Hyperdrive Rom w/ Zeus kernel AMAZING!

Samsung Galaxy SIII - JB 4.1.2

Lg Optimus G Pro- new 1080P 5.5in. Display w/Snapdragon 600 Andreno 320

Microsoft Surface Pro 128gb. Full HD Display 1080P Windows 8 HD4000 Graphics Type Cover

Prime/Tegra3 Gamers Thread
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1409077

Erusman
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 216
Ok here are some pics.

Click image for larger version

Name:	OpenPrime1.jpg
Views:	1395
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	883500

Name:	OpenPrime2.jpg
Views:	1172
Size:	166.8 KB
ID:	883501

Name:	OpenPrime3.jpg
Views:	1005
Size:	178.9 KB
ID:	883502

Name:	OpenPrime4.jpg
Views:	943
Size:	183.6 KB
ID:	883503

Name:	OpenPrime5.jpg
Views:	1525
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	883505

Name:	OpenPrime6.jpg
Views:	874
Size:	178.4 KB
ID:	883506

Name:	OpenPrime7.jpg
Views:	1377
Size:	206.8 KB
ID:	883507

Name:	OpenPrime8.jpg
Views:	1096
Size:	184.1 KB
ID:	883508

Name:	OpenPrime9.jpg
Views:	1272
Size:	213.6 KB
ID:	883510

Name:	OpenPrime10.jpg
Views:	1690
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	883511

Name:	OpenPrime11.jpg
Views:	1795
Size:	206.5 KB
ID:	883512
The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to Erusman For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

1SiK1500
Old
Thanks Meter 85
amazing! what are your thoughts?
LG Nexus 5 16g
Ipad Air 32g LTE

aznmode
Old
Thanks Meter 772
The pogo pins seems to be long enough to make contact. Where is the GPS?

demandarin
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2044
Quote:
Originally Posted by flub View Post
No to truely test back plate theory pogo pins need bypassing & prime closed up , because if my understanding of teardown pics corrrect once cracked open you are breaking contacts with pogo pins/antenna. So getting same signal with prime open ( contacts to antenna broken) then it could be argued that it proves just as much that back of case is indeed the problem
You right...I meant to edit post n say that after thinking about it. But if back opened with contacts broken from backplate then it technically shouldn't be getting a signal at all..lol we do have two antennas though. I wonder if those contacts are to just try to strengthen signal vs.need those connections to work. Cuz its seeming wireless still works with connections broken. Very weird. Asus might have something else going on in there that we haven't seen or heard about yet. So it is a good question to ask Why is wireless still working n picking up signals although the connection is broken from the patch? Meaning pins not even touching contact patches yet wireless still working.

IPAD- 32GB WiFi ver. 4.2.1

Transformer Prime 32GB(Retired)

NEXUS 7 16gb Unlocked & Rooted JB 4.3 CleanRom 4.0 Faux Kernel

Galaxy Note 10.1 32gb- Hyperdrive Rom w/ Zeus kernel AMAZING!

Samsung Galaxy SIII - JB 4.1.2

Lg Optimus G Pro- new 1080P 5.5in. Display w/Snapdragon 600 Andreno 320

Microsoft Surface Pro 128gb. Full HD Display 1080P Windows 8 HD4000 Graphics Type Cover

Prime/Tegra3 Gamers Thread
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1409077

Wordlywisewiz
Old
Thanks Meter 226

DONATE TO ME
Another idea would be to for an extreme antena would be to desoder the connections to the headphone jack then put a small wire from the wifi antenna to the headphone jack and sorry it lol then you can make a custom antenna with a standard 3.5mm connector lmfao!

Do it!

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Ride525
Old
Thanks Meter 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by demandarin View Post
One thing I've noticed though is that whenever talks up here in the forum get heated, Asus pushes out an update to try to put people at ease..lol. so expect an update any day now, especially once they catch wind of this thread.
Well, last week I was told that there was an update planned for early February......By Technical Product Manager

Wordlywisewiz
Old
Thanks Meter 226

DONATE TO ME
Maybe they will surprise us with the unlock tool

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

ckoadiyn
Old
Thanks Meter 900
Awesome

Sent from my PC36100 using xda premium
TEAM MiK Since 12/18/10

thomslik
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Thanks for the pics! I salute you for going "all in" as others before you didn't have the balls!

Good luck finding a fix.