Post Reply

[WARNING] OTA Update 2.13.401.3

OP Lt.Win

2nd February 2012, 09:24 AM   |  #1  
Lt.Win's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 681
 
3,232 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2011
More
Note: This works for some people, but I suggest you don't update, because majority of the people are having problems.

theq86 has reported his phone bricked.

Conclusions:

1- S-ON & Bootloader Locked
Your HBOOT will stay to the version 1.08.0000.
You will not be able to unlock the bootloader until HTCDev updates its RUU.

2- S-ON & Bootloader Unlocked (HBOOT 1.08.0009)
Your HBOOT will be downgraded to 1.08.0000 and your bootloader will be locked again. You will lose root and CWM.
You will not be able to unlock the bootloader until HTCDev updates its RUU.

3- S-OFF
Your HBOOT will stay (or be updated/downgraded) to 1.08.0000.
You don't have to worry about the bootloader cause it is unlocked forever.


For those who performed the update and are S-ON and want to unlock their bootloader, three solutions :
1- S-OFF your phone with an XTC-Clip
2- Wait for a software S-OFF (they are getting closer and closer)
3- Wait that HTCDev updates its RUU. We should write to them to be sure they are aware of this problem.


Want to get rid of the notifications telling you to update?

1. Download update (to the phone).
2. When the phone asks to install update, plug your phone to the computer in Disk Drive mode.
3. Run Winrar and browse to sdcard/download and enter OTA_Marvel_S_HTC_Europe_2.13.401.3-2.13.401.2_release_237041qqcw21hxt5vkhdz6.zip.
4. Inside you will find file firmware.zip. Unpack it anywhere.
5. Run Winrar and enter unpacked firmware.zip.
6. Click INFO button and go to SFX label.
7. Click "Remove the already existing module from the archive" and OK.
8. Delete all files except "android-info.txt". Save file (firmware.zip).
9. Replace firmware.zip in original OTA update.
10. Run update in your phone.
11. You will see yellow exclamation mark in triangle which means failure.
12. Remove the baterry for one second.
13. Turn on. Phone will show smtng like "update file is corrupt. download again?" - click NO. Turn off automatic check for updates in settings.


--------------------------------------------------------------------

Credits:

theq86 - Bricked his phone in the process! Click thanks for him!

popopo0 - Solution to get rid of the notification icon.

pihug12 - OP of the source post.

Source: [OTA Update] 2.13.401.2 => 2.13.401.3
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Lt.Win For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd February 2012, 09:50 AM   |  #2  
theq86's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Nuremberg
Thanks Meter: 732
 
918 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2009
Donate to Me
More
Why is this update bad?
Why is this update bad? (background info)

HTC included it's newest radio and hboot with the update. Actually nothing to worry about, but there's a problem regarding software version numbers.

For example (HTC EU example):
My WFS shipped EU 2.3.3 (sw no. 1.33.401.2)
Then came the FOTA to EU 2.3.5 (sw no. 2.13.401.2)
And some days past a new FOTA (sw no. 2.13.401.3)

the software numbers are the problem here. HTCDEV provides the RUU updater for unlockable hboot only for 2.13.401.2.

As we know, HTC will not allow us to downgrade even a signed ruu. Thus, we will get a main version is older error.

This leads to the conclusions above.

------------------------------------

Will there be a way to re-unlock the phone?

HTC wrote:

Quote:

Unfortunately once the device has updated to the most recent software it cannot be reverted to the previous update allowing the device to be unlocked. I can escalate this issue as a feature request to see if a further Hboot update can be released in the future for users who may have missed the opportunity to unlock their devices.

I hope that this information meets with your requirements. Should you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact me again.

Last edited by theq86; 2nd February 2012 at 04:21 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to theq86 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd February 2012, 10:47 AM   |  #3  
Member
Thanks Meter: 7
 
37 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2011
Quote:

You will not be able to unlock the bootloader until HTCDev updates its RUU.

1) downgrade 2.13.401.3 to 2.13.401.2
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1301388
http://www.filefactory.com/file/c0ac...747_signed.exe

2) Only Step-0 (ruu-downloads - Install hboot 1.08.0099)
http://htcdev.com/bootloader

3) I rebooted to bootloader mode and my hboot is 1.08.0099 unlocked
Works fine for me ...
Last edited by hascimal; 2nd February 2012 at 11:03 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to hascimal For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd February 2012, 12:12 PM   |  #4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 71
 
595 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2011
More
I've S-OFF'd my phone with xtc clip. Should I update my phone?
Also, my Hboot is 0.90.0000
What are the benefits of
Hboot 1.08.0009 as compared to 0.90.000?!

Thanks

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using xda premium
2nd February 2012, 12:34 PM   |  #5  
Senior Member
Flag Stockholm
Thanks Meter: 295
 
419 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal King

I've S-OFF'd my phone with xtc clip. Should I update my phone?
Also, my Hboot is 0.90.0000
What are the benefits of
Hboot 1.08.0009 as compared to 0.90.000?!

Thanks

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using xda premium

I'm qurious about this as well. I'm S-OFF, but haven't installed any custom ROM yet, only Link2SD. So I should be able to install the update without problems, right?
2nd February 2012, 12:53 PM   |  #6  
theq86's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Nuremberg
Thanks Meter: 732
 
918 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2009
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas75k

I'm qurious about this as well. I'm S-OFF, but haven't installed any custom ROM yet, only Link2SD. So I should be able to install the update without problems, right?

right, see conclusion 1 above.
2nd February 2012, 03:49 PM   |  #7  
asdot's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Jogjes
Thanks Meter: 159
 
683 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2011
More
After struggling to unlock BL my wfs s-on, I prefer not to update. I don't want to take risk.
2nd February 2012, 04:15 PM   |  #8  
ONeill123's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Sector 8
Thanks Meter: 100
 
599 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by theq86

Why is this update bad? (background info)

HTC included it's newest radio and hboot with the update. Actually nothing to worry about, but there's a problem regarding software version numbers.

For example (HTC EU example):
My WFS shipped EU 2.3.3 (sw no. 1.33.401.2)
Then came the FOTA to EU 2.3.5 (sw no. 2.13.401.2)
And some days past a new FOTA (sw no. 2.13.401.3)

the software numbers are the problem here. HTCDEV provides the RUU updater for unlockable hboot only for 2.13.401.2.

As we know, HTC will not allow us to downgrade even a signed ruu. Thus, we will get a main version is older error.

This leads to the conclusions above.

------------------------------------

Will there be a way to re-unlock the phone?

I'm not promising anything. I told HTCDEV about the problems in general. Maybe I can get them to provide a RUU for 2.13.401.3 so that everyone who updated this can unlock again. I'm currently negotiating with HTC and waiting for an answer.

The easiest way is to edit the software number to a lower one. The How-To is in the forum here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1301388
Only do the steps before the ruu extract
2nd February 2012, 04:22 PM   |  #9  
theq86's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Nuremberg
Thanks Meter: 732
 
918 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2009
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONeill123

The easiest way is to edit the software number to a lower one. The How-To is in the forum here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1301388
Only do the steps before the ruu extract

Pitty it is not useful for me. can not even boot into android or access adb

--------------------------------------

UPDATED POST #2 IMPORTANT
2nd February 2012, 04:40 PM   |  #10  
helbet's Avatar
Member
Flag Sibiu
Thanks Meter: 3
 
81 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2009
More
Hi there!

I need a little help.. My problem is that I can't remove CWM 5.0.2.8 from my Marvel.

It is S-OFF with XTC Clip.
USB Debugging is ON.
Fast Boot is ON.
I have stock ROM 2.3.5
I chose Charge Only.

I use Marvel Auto-Installers. It detect my Marvel.. I press uninstall recovery (HTC original). Then my phone restarts. After booting I shut down and restart with vlume down pressed to check what recovery I have and... surprise: still CWM 5.0.2.8!

Any little help will be appreciated.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes