Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[REF] List of apps safe to disable

OP eadred

30th May 2012, 03:05 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 57
 
328 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2010
Since I have started to disable some applications, I have noticed a significant improvement regarding battery life (+45min screen on time). But I have also experienced that disabling certain applications may cause system error, or even increase battery drain.
I was wondering if someone had an exhaustive list of apps that are safe to disable?

So far I have disabled those with success:
- 7digital
- car
- face unlock
- facebook
- facebook for htc sense
- facebookapiengine
- flickr
- flickrapiengine
- friend stream
- friend stream
- friend stream widget
- google+
- htc account
- htc dock screen
- htc sense input (I use a replacement)
- mail (I use kaiten)
- mail widget
- movie editor
- news & weather
- notes
- notes
- notes provider
- pdf viewer
- picasa web albums
- ringtone trimmer
- soundhound
- stock widget
- stocks
- stocks
- talk
- talkback
- teeter
- trends widget
- trimit
- tunein radio
- twitter
- twitter widget
- twitterapiengine
- weather
- weather widget

Disabled applications that I experienced to crash phone upon restart:
- htc weather sync provider

Disabled applications that I experienced to increase battery drain (subjectively - I might be wrong):
- dropbox
- dropbox for htc sense
- htc sense input

Has anyone further apps to suggest?
Note: to disable an application:
  • go to 'Settings'
  • Apps
  • All
  • Press the application you want to disable
  • Disable
Last edited by eadred; 2nd June 2012 at 03:50 PM.
The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to eadred For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th May 2012, 03:08 PM   |  #2  
H-KaN's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Goslar
Thanks Meter: 136
 
609 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
More
was about time for someone to do this. i didnt disable all of them just the once i was really sure about nothing could happen. now im gonna do the rest thanks.
30th May 2012, 03:08 PM   |  #3  
hamdir's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Beirut
Thanks Meter: 14,279
 
21,798 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2008
great post bro, ill disable some of the useless apps and see if it reduces random stutter for me
30th May 2012, 03:59 PM   |  #4  
Member
Wakefield, UK
Thanks Meter: 8
 
83 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2012
Thanks for this list! will see if i notice any differences in battery life
30th May 2012, 04:14 PM   |  #5  
Johnny0906's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 80
 
712 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2011
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by eadred

Since I have started to disable some applications, I have noticed a significant improvement regarding battery life (+45min screen on time). But I have also experienced that disabling certain applications may cause system error, or even increase battery drain.
I was wondering if someone had an exhaustive list of apps that are safe to disable?

So far I have disabled those with success:
- 7digital
- car
- face unlock
- facebook
- facebook for htc sense
- facebookapiengine
- flickr
- flickrapiengine
- friend stream
- friend stream
- friend stream widget
- google+
- htc account
- htc dock screen
- htc sense input (I use a replacement)
- mail (I use kaiten)
- mail widget
- movie editor
- news & weather
- notes
- notes
- notes provider
- pdf viewer
- picasa web albums
- ringtone trimmer
- soundhound
- stock widget
- stocks
- stocks
- talk
- talkback
- teeter
- trends widget
- trimit
- tunein radio
- twitter
- twitter widget
- twitterapiengine
- weather
- weather widget

Disabled applications that I experienced to crash phone upon restart:
- htc weather sync provider

Disabled applications that I experienced to increase battery drain (subjectively - I might be wrong):
- dropbox
- dropbox for htc sense

Could anyone complete the list?

I've disabled pretty much everything except HTC sense and Google maps when I have disable google maps everything starts to act weird and freeze and stuff so I left that one alone I use titanium backup, I have also disabled some system stuff like NFC and widgets and languages that I never use and a lot of other stuff.

Was gonna make a list too but didn't have time
30th May 2012, 04:19 PM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 57
 
328 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny0906

I've disabled pretty much everything except HTC sense and Google maps when I have disable google maps everything starts to act weird and freeze and stuff so I left that one alone I use titanium backup, I have also disabled some system stuff like NFC and widgets and languages that I never use and a lot of other stuff.

Was gonna make a list too but didn't have time

If you do find the time to selectively complete the list with your findings, please do. I would update the first post accordingly.
The Following User Says Thank You to eadred For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th May 2012, 04:41 PM   |  #7  
Member
Thanks Meter: 16
 
57 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2010
More
Excellent post, thanks ...

I also disabled lot of appz from first list.

Everything is OK til now. I just noticed that flickr still appear on task manager even if disabled. I tried force kill but it returns back later ...

It looks like it is not completely disabled ...
30th May 2012, 04:46 PM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 57
 
328 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRZ

Excellent post, thanks ...

I also disabled lot of appz from first list.

Everything is OK til now. I just noticed that flickr still appear on task manager even if disabled. I tried force kill but it returns back later ...

It looks like it is not completely disabled ...

Yeah, I have also noticed this. Pdf viewer does the same. I wonder if there are further underlying services that need to be disabled in order for them to be truly gone.
30th May 2012, 04:54 PM   |  #9  
Member
Thanks Meter: 16
 
57 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2010
More
Yes, i had the same idea, something like a "hard coded" use of these apps ...

It is also a very good way to disable all specific appz from branded phones

I disabled all SFR appz and they never get back and even disappear from appz menu or home page.
30th May 2012, 04:55 PM   |  #10  
Johnny0906's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 80
 
712 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2011
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by eadred

If you do find the time to selectively complete the list with your findings, please do. I would update the first post accordingly.

Ok yeah sure no problem.

I might have time to do it tonight.

Cheers

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes