Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,892 Members 43,017 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

HTC Flagship 2012 - HTC One X (Endeavor) - Tegra 3 - Mega Information Thread

Tip us?

marsdta
Old
(Last edited by marsdta; 2nd February 2012 at 06:54 PM.)
Thanks Meter 455

DONATE TO ME
I agree on phones getting to large. Me personally I liked the sensations size. It felt better in my hand than my inspire(us dhd). If we could get a quad core in the size of the ville I'm sold.

One thing to take note is that though the galaxy nexus has a huge screen it got rid of the capacitive buttons so its not really that much larger, than current phones.

As too which phone ill get, I would want quad core but never used tegra devices so still on the fence. Either way I'm going HTC, and hopefully us here in the US don't have to wait long after you guys.

For now my inspire running ics can honestly keep up for another year if I needed to wait it out

djolebih
Old
Thanks Meter 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by marsdta View Post
I agree on phones getting to large. Me personally I liked the sensation screen size. It felt better in my hand than my inspire(us dhd). If we could get a quad core in the size of the ville I'm sold.

One thing to take note is that though the galaxy nexus has a huge screen it got rid of the capacitive buttons so its not really that much larger, than current phones.

As too which phone ill get, I would want quad core but never used tegra devices so still on the fence. Either way I'm going HTC, and hopefully us here in the US don't have to wait long after you guys.

For now my inspire running ics can honestly keep up for another year if I needed to wait it out
That's exactly what I'm thinking. 4.3in was perfectly fine for a phone. The way it's moving atm, half way through the year, we're going to have phones that really are mini tablets and then what..

As for Tegra, I'm using Motorola Xoom and it's actually really really good.
The Following User Says Thank You to djolebih For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

marsdta
Old
Thanks Meter 455

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by djolebih View Post
That's exactly what I'm thinking. 4.3in was perfectly fine for a phone. The way it's moving atm, half way through the year, we're going to have phones that really are mini tablets and then what..

As for Tegra, I'm using Motorola Xoom and it's actually really really good.
Hopefully manufacturer don't go crazy and stop making phone size phones lol.

I haven't really played with a tegra device to make any judgement. My only, though very limited, experience with it is on my sisters g2x. And compared to our dhd, I was not impressed. But maybe this quad core will be.

My one caveat with the ville after relooking at the specs is the battery still seems to small. And that's comparing to our measly battery. I'm willing to sacrifice an extra few mm, to get a bigger battery. Looking at the razr maxx, it not that much bigger than the original and it has 3300mah battery! That more than double ours and about same thickness as ours I believe

djolebih
Old
Thanks Meter 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by marsdta View Post
Hopefully manufacturer don't go crazy and stop making phone size phones lol.

I haven't really played with a tegra device to make any judgement. My only, though very limited, experience with it is on my sisters g2x. And compared to our dhd, I was not impressed. But maybe this quad core will be.

My one caveat with the ville after relooking at the specs is the battery still seems to small. And that's comparing to our measly battery. I'm willing to sacrifice an extra few mm, to get a bigger battery. Looking at the razr maxx, it not that much bigger than the original and it has 3300mah battery! That more than double ours and about same thickness as ours I believe
Yeah but Motorola is working with the Aliens according to RCVR short series..
Hahah.. Had to put it here.
If my post has been helpful or if you think I'm a jerk because I'm painfully honest.... Hit THANKS. It doesn't hurt.

stumpyz9
Old
Thanks Meter 475

DONATE TO ME
if i where to have to pick a sucessor to the desire hd i dont really think it would be any of the ones you listed, i think htc has something special in store for us. but i can say that i doubt it will be the edge, yes a quad core is nice but not a tegra one. coming back to the dhd from an atrix i can say the lack of drivers/source for the cpu or whatever it was really made development suck. you are very limited at what can be made, unless nvidia decides to release the stuff. and the ville seems very nice except i think a true sucessor will have better specs.
GONE - To many to List

CURRENT -

White Galaxy Nexus - want to buy it?

If i've helped you, Thank me!

hamdir
Old
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 13,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpyz9 View Post
if i where to have to pick a sucessor to the desire hd i dont really think it would be any of the ones you listed, i think htc has something special in store for us. but i can say that i doubt it will be the edge, yes a quad core is nice but not a tegra one. coming back to the dhd from an atrix i can say the lack of drivers/source for the cpu or whatever it was really made development suck. you are very limited at what can be made, unless nvidia decides to release the stuff. and the ville seems very nice except i think a true sucessor will have better specs.
yes i already had my worries about tegra, but i didn't know they don't share their sources? devices builders are bound by law to release the kernel source along with its drivers

moreover you have to remember HTC devices have a much wider support in XDA then any other brand, for example check the xperia ARC forums despite having snapdragon 2 the support is limited

finally a history reminder XDA developers was founded to support the O2 XDA devices made by HTC which had an Nvidia Goforce GPU

if anything it might be warm come back to nvidia

zelendel
Old
Moderator Committee - The Dark Knight
Thanks Meter 11,114

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamdir

yes i already had my worries about tegra, but i didn't know they don't share their sources? devices builders are bound by law to release the kernel source along with its drivers

moreover you have to remember HTC devices have a much wider support in XDA then any other brand, for example check the xperia ARC forums despite having snapdragon 2 the support is limited

finally a history reminder XDA developers was founded to support the O2 XDA devices made by HTC which had an Nvidia Goforce GPU

if anything it might be warm come back to nvidia
The kernel yes has to have the source released but driver source has never been released. One of the main reasons that the AOSP drivers are lacking compared to the stock drivers. Take BT for example stock based rom's use a different driver then the AOSP rom's. Same for the radio, screen, camera ect.

If hard work pays off then easy work is worthless
SearchFu
Never Ask someone to do something your not willing to at least try to do yourself.
"Gotham is the work of a madman"- NunHugger Current Nexus 5-12 Nightly

hamdir
Old
Thanks Meter 13,435
i found more details about the Edge screen and thickness here:

http://androidcommunity.com/more-htc...-4-0-20111108/

Quote:
According to an anonymous tipster (who lamentably didn’t have any new photos) the Edge will indeed be the first smartphone to feature Nvidia’s monster quad-core Tegra 3 processer running at a blistering 1.5Ghz. The processor is backed up by a full gigabyte of RAM and 32 gigs of on-board storage. The phone itself is updated as 8.8mm thin – very slim for a device with this much horsepower – but must go without a MicroSD card slot. The screen is a massive 4.7-inch 720p panel using the latest in S-LCD technology. Optical lamination makes the screen seem to float just below the glass with no space for air or dust. NFC and a large 1800mAh battery are included.
so the screen should hopefully be a quality one similar to the XL

hamdir
Old
Thanks Meter 13,435
some negative thoughts on tegra 3 here:

http://www.fonearena.com/blog/45206/...ed-at-mwc.html

Quote:
Frankly speaking I am not very excited about this device because quadcore is just a marketing strategy, though it uses 4 cortex A9 processors, the L1 and L2 cache provided is equal to the one present in Tegra 2, which means nVIDIA does not expect anyone to use more than 2 cores at a time. Also we should note that Tegra 3 is a synchronous processor which will result in the consumption loads of battery, but we hope that the fifth core will be able to help us here. Superior processing power and a really powerful GPU makes it the leading processor available in the market right now, but how long will they be able to hold this position is the real question.

combat goofwing
Old
Thanks Meter 105
Looking to the edge as my replacement for DHD unless somethi.g better comes along.Would love to have a phone with gorilla glass,got it on my transformer and after 9 months not a scratch on it

DESIRE HD using ER3BUS ASUS TRANSFORMER on KRAKD
HTC ONE In Silver , Nexus7 2012 and ASUS EPAD transformer

Tags
htc one x, knowledge base, nvidia tegra 3, one x, performance, sense 4.x