XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

HTC Flagship 2012 - HTC One X (Endeavor) - Tegra 3 - Mega Information Thread

Tip us?

djolebih
Old
Thanks Meter 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamdir View Post
yes i already had my worries about tegra, but i didn't know they don't share their sources? devices builders are bound by law to release the kernel source along with its drivers

moreover you have to remember HTC devices have a much wider support in XDA then any other brand, for example check the xperia ARC forums despite having snapdragon 2 the support is limited

finally a history reminder XDA developers was founded to support the O2 XDA devices made by HTC which had an Nvidia Goforce GPU

if anything it might be warm come back to nvidia
Nvidia has been good to me in the past, phone or PC. Even though I prefer ATI GPUs since they are capable of more complex operations related to my work, Nvidia never failed me in terms of it's stability, endurance and support.
Of course there are negative sides to Tegra, but there are and always will be negatives for any product you come across. I don't look at the wrongs, I see potential improvements. A friend of mine works for Nvidia and we are in constant touch regarding improvements of Tegra based devices and other. That being said, I think I was the first dude with a Motorola Xoom in Europe lol...

Sent from my Desire HD using XDA App
If my post has been helpful or if you think I'm a jerk because I'm painfully honest.... Hit THANKS. It doesn't hurt.

hamdir
Old
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 12379
Quote:
Originally Posted by combat goofwing View Post
Looking to the edge as my replacement for DHD unless somethi.g better comes along.Would love to have a phone with gorilla glass,got it on my transformer and after 9 months not a scratch on it

DESIRE HD using ER3BUS ASUS TRANSFORMER on KRAKD
mate all of HTC's recent devices had gorilla glass including the Desire HD, i don't think you should worry about this

i had my DHD for 1 year and 6 months now and it fell many times on rough cement and still not one pixel scratch on the glass despite some mini dents on the metal edges
The Following User Says Thank You to hamdir For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

hamdir
Old
Thanks Meter 12379
Quote:
Originally Posted by djolebih View Post
Nvidia has been good to me in the past, phone or PC. Even though I prefer ATI GPUs since they are capable of more complex operations related to my work, Nvidia never failed me in terms of it's stability, endurance and support.
Of course there are negative sides to Tegra, but there are and always will be negatives for any product you come across. I don't look at the wrongs, I see potential improvements. A friend of mine works for Nvidia and we are in constant touch regarding improvements of Tegra based devices and other. That being said, I think I was the first dude with a Motorola Xoom in Europe lol...

well most high end games get released and optimised first for tegra so....im only worried about unforeseen surprises typical of nvidia on my workstation we only use nvidia especially for their amazing CUDA but in mobile qualcomm has more experience

djolebih
Old
Thanks Meter 318
Quote:
well most high end games get released and optimised first for tegra so....im only worried about unforeseen surprises typical of nvidia on my workstation we only use nvidia especially for their amazing CUDA but in mobile qualcomm has more experience
I second that. Qualcomm has been around for mobile for a long time now. Nvidia started this recently which is all the more reason why people shouldn't complain as much.

If my post has been helpful or if you think I'm a jerk because I'm painfully honest.... Hit THANKS. It doesn't hurt.

hamdir
Old
(Last edited by hamdir; 3rd February 2012 at 01:55 PM.)
Thanks Meter 12379
Quote:
Originally Posted by djolebih View Post
I second that. Qualcomm has been around for mobile for a long time now. Nvidia started this recently which is all the more reason why people shouldn't complain as much.

when people pay big money u can expect them not to complain mate

Still the Asus Transformer Prime is the hottest tablet around and Tegra 3 is partly a reason for this

anyway MWC can't come soon enough, it seems im the only guy around so excited about the Edge hehe

comeone HTC time for a leak!

Speaking of Sense 4.0 i'm hoping HTC got rid of the stupid stupid 3d widgets and give us 60fps launcher out of box like my ultra Rosie does, not clear in the leaked video

of course like everyone in here i dislike what i saw from sense 4.0, the cropped dock and clock font and flat colors are hideous, im surely they will snap back to their sense by v1.0

sense 3.5 is just pure class, why ruin something so good, sense 3.6 is even sexier on the sensation!

blueboiiz
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I hope the Sense 4 UI is light, i agree the 3d widgets lag the device. Im excited in the new direction HTC is moving too.

hamdir
Old
(Last edited by hamdir; 3rd February 2012 at 04:34 PM.)
Thanks Meter 12379
so....................more negative analysis of tegra 3

this particular line is pretty worrying

Quote:
Numbers seen by SemiAccurate show a dual core Qualcomm Krait SoC absolutely destroying a 1.5GHz Tegra 3
Krait is what im hoping is inside the Ville...

http://semiaccurate.com/2011/11/09/t...-wide-margins/

benchmarks are suggesting slightly higher performance then apple A5 (dual core)

http://techcrunch.com/2011/12/01/fir...han-apples-a5/

Anandtech's review seems positive however here: one thing to keep in mind the ipad 2 has to render a lot less pixels

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5163/a...gra-3-review/2

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5163/a...gra-3-review/3

This is the nvidia part that worries me, marketing hype

a year ago i bought my DHD knowing that it will underwhelm in 3d games against the LG optimus because of adreno 205 vs tegra 2, a year later shadowgun is running on DHD with adreno 205 with a very respectable frame rate and riptide GP at perfect frame rate!

so yes nvidia always promises you the next big thing, in reality they always either miss or hit

all articles seems to suggest an impossibility of 1.5ghz of tegra 3 in multicore, max 1.4ghz single core mode, 1.3ghz multicore, a far cray from our DHD which had a 1.0 ghz out of box overclock able to high heavens

conclusion seems to be: the four cores minimize load per core, so never one core if overloaded however its not the most efficient quad core design (5 cores with the low power core) also the GPU is weaker then PowerVR SGX 543MP2 in apple A5

combat goofwing
Old
Thanks Meter 104
Quote:
mate all of HTC's recent devices had gorilla glass including the Desire HD, i don't think you should worry about this

i had my DHD for 1 year and 6 months now and it fell many times on rough cement and still not one pixel scratch on the glass despite some mini dents on the metal edges
Had my desire HD 16 months didn't know it had gorilla glass,always had a screen protector on

SENT FROM MY TRANSFORMER and its on KRAKD
HTC ONE In Silver , Nexus7 2012 and ASUS EPAD transformer

hamdir
Old
(Last edited by hamdir; 3rd February 2012 at 04:49 PM.)
Thanks Meter 12379
well it was confirmed the DHD is gorilla glass a while ago, further confirmed by me through the endless abuse its crazy how its still in perfect state, however keep in mind gorilla glass is scratch-able if you go over abuse

ok i read the transformer prime anandtech review, i'm not so pleased with tegra 3

shockingly a quad core nvidia chipset can't beat the apple a5 in gpu power, only slightly better then a5 in cpu power

this is shameful

Adreno 225 in Snapdragon4 seems significantly faster, also qualcomm suggest QHD res for the dual core krait so if the Ville is carrying a dual core Snapdragon 4 it might actually beat the Tegra3 in gaming!!

also the tegra 3 is expensive to make so expect a catch somewhere from HTC

tegra 3 is not as future proof as i hoped

zelendel
Old
Moderator Committee - The Dark Knight
Thanks Meter 10481

DONATE TO ME
Well iif it turns out that it won't have an sdcard slot looks like I will be looking at a different device as my next update. A shame really.

If hard work pays off then easy work is worthless
SearchFu
Never Ask someone to do something your not willing to at least try to do yourself.
"Gotham is the work of a madman"- NunHugger Current Nexus 5-12 Nightly

Tags
htc one x, knowledge base, nvidia tegra 3, one x, performance, sense 4.x