5,600,335 Members 35,136 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[HOW TO] Update to 2.3.6 OTA Preserving Root Access! Working!! And Tested!

Tip us?

Michael443
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmease1 View Post
I must of did something wrong because this did not work for me. I followed the steps to a T and it didn't take.

Sent from my MB865 using xda premium
can you tell me step by step what ou did so i can help you!

extide
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbridgman View Post
The easier way to do this, is just do the 4ever root that was done for the bionic.

Just add these lines to the bottom of the /system/bin/mount_ext3.sh files with the text editor in root explorer, or through adb.

chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
chmod 444 /system/app/Superuser.apk

Do that BEFORE the OTA update, and you will not have any issues with OTAs ever again and loosing root.

Jim
x2 I used this method and it works fine. No messing around with OTA rootkepper, no need to uninstall superuser/etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael443 View Post
be carefull, the update brings a new security environment and new security patches that google just released. the update over writes parts of the system data. the safest way that i tested is this method. be careful with ever root
ever root is arguably SAFER than your method. All it does is make the system change the permission on the files on every bootup. It's not rocket science.

farshad525hou
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 432

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09CarreraS View Post
Jim,

I have a question about running a Deodexed rom. Will I have a problem upgrading or do I have to SBF back to stock? I also have the 1 percent mod that I love. How can I keep this. My understanding is this only works for deodexed roms.
I'm not Jim but I do have the answers to your questions!

You should flash the fkz's (sbf) files before you update, just a good idea to remove any oddities or potential problems. Also most modifications do relay on a deodexed ROM , so my guess is that it won't work with the new update yet. My personal recommendation would be to wait until lfaber06 incorperates this update into a nice little cwm flashable zip (around this weekend, or next), that will already contain root, as well as the 1 percent mod and the updated theming!
DON'T HAVE A DROPBOX? SIGN UP WITH THIS LINK AND WE BOTH GET 500MB EXTRA!: http://db.tt/UAXWgzXy

Current Devices:
HTC One running Android 4.4 KitKat/CM11 Beta builds from source!
Google Nexus 7 running AOSP 4.4 KitKat!
Backup Devices
Samsung Galaxy Nexus running CM10.2 nightlies.
Google (Asus) Nexus 7 running CM10.2 nightlies!
Motorola Atrix 2 running CM10
Previous Devices:
Samsung Infuse 4G,-HATED IT!
iPhone 3G-Sold it on Ebay!

The Following User Says Thank You to farshad525hou For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

09CarreraS
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Thanks for the answer! Hey I'm from Ma as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to 09CarreraS For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bimmerd00d
Old
Thanks Meter 96
well that's what i get for not reading here first. My coworker was demo-ing an app to our CEO and the update notification came in. A few minutes later he comes back and says he hit download then install when it came up. When i got it it was flashing in recovery already
Mine: LG G2 (Sprint)
Wife: Samsung Galaxy S4 (Sprint)
Backup: Galaxy S3,

For Sale: AT&T Galaxy S3 blue, GSM Galaxy Nexus...PM me if interested.

toastthemost
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by extide View Post
x2 I used this method and it works fine. No messing around with OTA rootkepper, no need to uninstall superuser/etc.

ever root is arguably SAFER than your method. All it does is make the system change the permission on the files on every bootup. It's not rocket science.
Well, this definitely bricked my phone.
The Following User Says Thank You to toastthemost For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

JRW 28
Old
Thanks Meter 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by toastthemost View Post
Are you sure you followed the instructions and put the files in the right directory? I havn't had any problems using this exact method as for a few others.

mtnlion
Old
Thanks Meter 312
No way if it was done correctly that it bricked your phone.correctly can be accomplished by navigating to the proper file then copy pasting the code in order.the only thing you are modifying is superuser.

extide
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by toastthemost View Post
You probably edited the ext3 mount script incorrectly then, that could easily softbrick the phone.

toastthemost
Old
(Last edited by toastthemost; 2nd February 2012 at 11:53 PM.)
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by extide View Post
You probably edited the ext3 mount script incorrectly then, that could easily softbrick the phone.
Not sure, I just pasted those two lines under "fi" or whatever was on the last line. Checked it. Saved it. Rebooted. Boot loop.