Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,924 Members 45,149 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Alternative dictionaries

Tip us?

Renate NST
Old
Recognized Contributor / Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 804
Smile Alternative dictionaries

The Nook dictionary is pretty handy in that you can look up words directly from the book that you are using. There are any number of dictionary applications that you could install, but none of them have the integration of the built-in dictionary.

It has been worked out how to replace the built-in dictionary with one generated from public domain bilingual dictionary databases. freedict.org is one source.

So, is there interest in say, French/English, German/English, Spanish/English dictionaries?

The downside is that you can't swap dictionaries in real time. Pick one.

Torimu.Joji
Old
Thanks Meter 16

DONATE TO ME
Where do I download the dictionaries?

Dimdamm
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Would like an english->french dict, do you have a link to something about it ?

Renate NST
Old
Thanks Meter 804
Oh, great, there is some interest!

I haven't posted the converter or any of the databases yet. As a newbie here I wasn't sure about posting links or 15 Meg attachments.

The dictionaries from freedict.org are pretty basic word translations. There are some multi-word phrases, but of course the lookup on the Nook only works on single words.

The original dictionary also has a database of inflected words, so that a lookup of "cows" will go to the headword "cow". I know of no source for inflected words in other languages.

For an English/French dictionary you could keep the original English inflected word database and replace the headword database with an English/French database.

I also want to make a companion EPUB book dictionary so that you could search (if necessary) arbitrarily for words.
The Following User Says Thank You to Renate NST For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Renate NST
Old
(Last edited by Renate NST; 4th February 2012 at 02:09 PM.) Reason: Removed obsolete file
Thanks Meter 804
Ok, Dimdamm, you can try this:

It's an English->French dictionary. It only has 7461 entries, sorry.

Download it, unzip it to eng-fra.db, ADB it to /system/media/reference/basewords.db

For safety:

Do this after a reboot and before loading the reader app.
Backup the old basewords.db

Good luck.

I'm not sure how it will react to finding words in the inflected database but not finding the corresponding entry in the headword database.

Note: Deleted obsolete file. See below for newer version.

Dimdamm
Old
(Last edited by Dimdamm; 4th February 2012 at 03:34 AM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Nice ! I downloaded the fr-en dictionary on freedict.org and opened it on my pc with goldenDict to be able to compape.

So :
- with some words, it's working, but there is still a bug, see below.
- with some (mostly the differents verbs form, but not only), the window appears, but is empty And the word doesn't exist in the dictionary on my pc. There is probably a conflict with the remaining b&n files.
- and there also a lot of "word not found", but it's not a bug.

The bug : it does not show what is on the 2nd/3rd/.. line in the dict file. And if there are differents definitions on the same line, with a ";" between them, it will show them on different lines on the nook. Picture, coz with my terrible english, I'm not sure you will understand : s4.noelshack.com/old/up/bug-b7cc55012.png -> the 2 words from the 2nd line are missing.

Im using another en->fr dictionary with coolreader, with a lot more words, stardict format, can you convert it ? It's attached on my post.

Renate NST
Old
(Last edited by Renate NST; 4th February 2012 at 03:57 AM.)
Thanks Meter 804
Yes, a blank page will show up if you lookup a word that is in the inflected database but not in the headword database. I might write something to prune down the English inflected words so that it will just say "not found".

Ok, thanks for the feedback. I missed the case where there are multiple senses, like in "madness". I'll get on that.

I'm still mystified why on that PNG that you posted the pronunciation is not there. I guess that that is not an actual screen shot?

Thanks for your help.

I'll look at that file, but there is the question of format and copyright.

P.S. Oh! I know why I missed that multiple sense. All the dictionaries are quite different. The first one I worked on just had everything under all the same sense.

Dimdamm
Old
(Last edited by Dimdamm; 4th February 2012 at 04:12 AM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate NST View Post
I'm still mystified why on that PNG that you posted the pronunciation is not there. I guess that that is not an actual screen shot?

Yes, the nook part is from paint, the pronunciation is here, even if pretty buggy

Renate NST
Old
Thanks Meter 804
I've got it so that it is picking up all the senses.
I'm working on making nice markup but still keeping the size minimal.
The HTML display for definitions does not support <ul> or <ol>

The pronunciation is "buggy" because the Ascender Sans font that is used does not have the full IPA pronunciation glyph set. The actual HTML is correct.

Renate NST
Old
(Last edited by Renate NST; 26th February 2012 at 09:43 PM.)
Thanks Meter 804
Ok, here's a new version of the English-French dictionary with all the senses in it. I hope that it has sufficient madness in it for you.