No registration required

[KERNEL] 2.6.36.4 OC/UV/UMS-ENABLED A500 Only

OP drellisdee

12th February 2012, 01:43 AM   |  #61  
Flag Paris
Thanks Meter: 3

64 posts
More
drellisdee, I made some tests today and I found a bug. The tablet doesn't boot when I install your kernel after the thor's one (I made a wipe cache and dalvik).
If I test thor's kernel and then yours, I have to firstly reinstall Lightspeed ROM and then your kernel.

Like I said in the second page, boot stoops at black screen with the white inscription "ACER". I tought that it was due to Civato's ROM but in fact problem comes with Thor's kernel Indeed, I don't have this problem if I install your kernel after Richardtrip's one.
Do you have an idea ?

Moreover could you decrease the minimum voltage ?
12th February 2012, 03:23 AM   |  #62  
Flag Brrrrrrrr
Thanks Meter: 24

232 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno_kun

drellisdee, I made some tests today and I found a bug. The tablet doesn't boot when I install your kernel after the thor's one (I made a wipe cache and dalvik).
If I test thor's kernel and then yours, I have to firstly reinstall Lightspeed ROM and then your kernel.

Like I said in the second page, boot stoops at black screen with the white inscription "ACER". I tought that it was due to Civato's ROM but in fact problem comes with Thor's kernel Indeed, I don't have this problem if I install your kernel after Richardtrip's one.
Do you have an idea ?

Thor's Kernel apparently uses some scripts that are left behind when you flash a new kernel. The only way, to my knowledge, to get rid of the "extra" stuff is to flash a ROM with A kernel other than Thor's. Just as you did.

I see you have an SGS 2. Over in the ATT i777 SGS2 forum, Jivy26 made a "kernel cleaner", that I believe he borrowed from the i9100 forum(not sure). Anyway, it'd be nice if someone could port something like that for the A500/501 so we could flash different ROM/ Kernel combos and not have to Wipe data/factory reset... Don't know if its possible, but that would certainly be helpful in this instance.
12th February 2012, 08:49 AM   |  #63  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 15,609

3,807 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno_kun

Do you have an idea ?

There is also a flexstriker rom available here at xda with stock Acer kernel.
12th February 2012, 04:56 PM   |  #64  
Flag Paris
Thanks Meter: 3

64 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by B214B1

Thor's Kernel apparently uses some scripts that are left behind when you flash a new kernel. The only way, to my knowledge, to get rid of the "extra" stuff is to flash a ROM with A kernel other than Thor's. Just as you did.

I tested Thor's kernel (Reboot) -> Richardtrip's kernel -> drellisdee's kernel (without reboot) and that works, no need to reinstall the ROM.

Quote:

I see you have an SGS 2. Over in the ATT i777 SGS2 forum, Jivy26 made a "kernel cleaner", that I believe he borrowed from the i9100 forum(not sure). Anyway, it'd be nice if someone could port something like that for the A500/501 so we could flash different ROM/ Kernel combos and not have to Wipe data/factory reset... Don't know if its possible, but that would certainly be helpful in this instance.

Yep I use "samsung ultimate kernel cleaning script" by buster041284 and it's very useful. Maybe a dev will do it for our A500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by civato

There is also a flexstriker rom available here at xda with stock Acer kernel.

Now that I'm sure that the problem isn't due to the ROM I will use your Flexstriker again
13th February 2012, 01:07 PM   |  #65  
Thanks Meter: 49

236 posts
I installed Rc2 on top of Thor's rom and it seems to be fine except wifi doesn't work nor accelermeter. Its not the kernel cos I tried Villain kernel afterwards and wifi doesn't work on that either. I wiped dalvik after and flashed Villain kernel just before flashing Rc2 as the prior post suggested. Is there some scripts I can try removing so as to avoid installing a new rom?
Last edited by dabl8; 13th February 2012 at 01:25 PM.
13th February 2012, 02:20 PM   |  #66  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 1,681

2,293 posts
Donate to Me
More
Just gotta say, RC2 is running great on stock 3.2.1. I have had absolutly no problems with Wifi, and waking from sleep. Video and Youtube are smooth. I'm overclocked to 1200mhz, undervolted 25mv, using interactive gov. Battery seems to be as good or better than stock. It's nice to have a kernel that runs like stock. Thanks.
14th February 2012, 05:08 AM   |  #67  
Thanks Meter: 49

210 posts
Donate to Me
I was using the epiphany rom with your kernal (the previous version to what is there now) and had issues with the apps screen freezing up. I am not sure if it was the rom or kernal. I could still open apps up, but it didn't appear to change pages when I swiped left or right. However, I could swipe to the next page, hit home, then reopen the apps window and it had switched, just not on the fly graphically. Do you think this was a kernal issue or a rom issue? I didn't notice it until I had run this combo of kernal/rom for over a week, but had it frequently after that.

I have since fixed it, I think, but nandroid backup to honeylicious and stock kernal.
15th February 2012, 03:47 PM   |  #68  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag East Coast
Thanks Meter: 825

617 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMG10

I was using the epiphany rom with your kernal (the previous version to what is there now) and had issues with the apps screen freezing up. I am not sure if it was the rom or kernal. I could still open apps up, but it didn't appear to change pages when I swiped left or right. However, I could swipe to the next page, hit home, then reopen the apps window and it had switched, just not on the fly graphically. Do you think this was a kernal issue or a rom issue? I didn't notice it until I had run this combo of kernal/rom for over a week, but had it frequently after that.

I have since fixed it, I think, but nandroid backup to honeylicious and stock kernal.

use the new version please
15th February 2012, 06:56 PM   |  #69  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag East Coast
Thanks Meter: 825

617 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

I found the issue flashing my kernel after thor's. I packaged mine (as thor does also) in an anykernel style that updates only the zImage and modules. Thor has a script in installing his kernel that changes the init.picasso.rc to init.ventana.rc and ueventd.picasso.rc to ueventd.ventana.rc in the kernel's ramdisk. I assume he changed the machine start to ventana from picasso in his kernel and this was needed. Richard trip's kernel is a full boot.img which contains the ramdisk and these files named after acer's board name for a500 instaed of the nvidia test board name. To use with thor's rom you will need to dump the boot.img and rename the above file's back and repack the boot.img then flash my anykernel. Be aware this will break booting his kernel and will need to reflash his boot.img back to reuse his. You can easily dump and repack a boot.img in disixda's kitchen for those who don't want to mess with command line tools.
The Following User Says Thank You to drellisdee For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th February 2012, 07:39 PM   |  #70  
Senior Moderator - Resident Troll Killer
Flag Somewhere in a Deep Cave on the Troll Kings Throne
Thanks Meter: 6,233

7,466 posts
Donate to Me
More
Maybe I need to add my 2cents worth.

Being a kernel flasher, I have never run into this issue before.

When you flash a kernel, basically, the files changed are the boot image, and System/lib/modules.

Correct me if I am wrong. What is changed in the boot image, is moot. It's designed to work with the appropriate module files.

So in theory, if I flash a kernel, the existing system/lib/module files, should get overwritten, along with the existing boot image.

So in effect, if you wipe Cache and Dalvik Cache, then flash the kernel, you shouldn't have issues, for the most part.

Never had any issues flashing Thor's kernels, or any others afterwards. However, some parts of Thor's ROM may be designed to take advantage of certain things in his kernel. A mated pair so to speak.
Last edited by Moscow Desire; 16th February 2012 at 04:16 AM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread