Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,429 Members 54,885 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[GUIDE/DISCUSSION] How to Disassemble Prime / GPS, WiFi, Light Bleed "Fixes"

Tip us?

tedr108
Old
Thanks Meter 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersaiyan.IV View Post
Had enough of the WiFi reception and opened up my TF201 64GB today.

Applied pads of solder at where pogo pins connect - scraped the finish of the solder to bare an unoxidized and more conductive layer to attain better contact. Next I insulated all unused antennae connectors and taped the built-in antennas as well. This reduces external impact on signal. I'm currently also thinking about insulating parts of the pogo pins.

No pics of how it's insulated - simply insulate everything that might bias the signal, especially those unused antennae connectors.

Results? Went from -83dB, rather unusable up to between -65dB and -57dB. Web surfing works and that's all that matters to me.

Hope you find this useful and have a good day.
Seems like a fix that even I can do! Can you give a little explanation of insulating? What exactly are you insulating with? And you are insulating exposed metal on and around the antennas, right?
Nexus 4 -- PLSX or OmniROM; Nexus 7 3G -- OmniROM; Asus TFP -- CM10.1; Kindle Fire -- CM11

Supersaiyan.IV
Old
(Last edited by Supersaiyan.IV; 9th April 2012 at 10:32 AM.) Reason: Explain what "tweak the soldering" means
Thanks Meter 177
So the TF201 64GB showed some more Wifi signal improvements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedr108 View Post
Seems like a fix that even I can do! Can you give a little explanation of insulating? What exactly are you insulating with? And you are insulating exposed metal on and around the antennas, right?
I reopened the prime today to remove and flatten out the solder pads, as less height was required than previously thought. Their excess might stress the screen. Took some pictures while I was at it. If it was in the "-65dB and -57dB" range before now it's within -61dB to -56dB from same testing spot.

Note that the Wifi is still grounded to the Asus back plate the stock way.

Pics: Insulation
I'm insulating with black insulation tape - treating pretty much everything with it.
I know the insulation approach helps at least 3-4dB because I saw a significant improvement as soon as I insulated the antennas. After seeing improvement I proceeded with insulating all the things as seen on the pictures.

Grounded the GPS antenna to the board as a test without soldering, and I got 1 satellite indoor, which is tragic. A better ground cable might solve the problem.
Tried with soldering, and I couldn't tell if it was any better. It was bad to begin with. If anyone posts a good working way for a GPS fix I'm all ears. No pictures on GPS adventures as it was a total failure.

I've mailed Asus support regarding this and asked for their tips for mending these issues. If they provide a miraculously better way for doing this (except sending it in for repair) I'm going to shoot myself.

Result: GPS bad, Wifi better - very good. Stock antenna.

I hope somebody will find this useful.
The Following User Says Thank You to Supersaiyan.IV For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Jesse6749
Old
(Last edited by Jesse6749; 11th April 2012 at 06:36 PM.)
Thanks Meter 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersaiyan.IV View Post
So the TF201 64GB showed some more Wifi signal improvements.

I reopened the prime today to tweak the soldering and took some pictures while I was at it. If it was in the "-65dB and -57dB" range before now it's within -61dB to -56dB from same testing spot.

Note that the Wifi is still grounded to the Asus back plate the stock way.

Pics: Insulation
I'm insulating with black insulation tape - treating pretty much everything with it.
I know the insulation approach helps at least 3-4dB because I saw a significant improvement as soon as I insulated the antennas. After seeing improvement I proceeded with insulating all the things as seen on the pictures.

Grounded the GPS antenna to the board as a test without soldering, and I got 1 satellite indoor, which is tragic. A better ground cable might solve the problem.
Tried with soldering, and I couldn't tell if it was any better. It was bad to begin with. If anyone posts a good working way for a GPS fix I'm all ears. No pictures on GPS adventures as it was a total failure.

I've mailed Asus support regarding this and asked for their tips for mending these issues. If they provide a miraculously better way for doing this (except sending it in for repair) I'm going to shoot myself.

Result: GPS bad, Wifi better - very good. Stock antenna.

I hope somebody will find this useful.
Since I unlocked my bootloader earlier last week I too decided to open my prime and low and behold mine was one with the broken wifi connection on the pba next to the gps pba. I went ahead and soldered the connection and put also soldered some copper braid to try and make the wifi a bit stronger and it worked. But like you my gps is a no go. I am going to look for a small external antenna that folds down and may just drill one or more holes depending if I find the small enough antennas. I did not do a great job, I did flatten the solder spots where the pogo pins tough with a file and even put a dab of conductive paste then insulated the whole area with electrical tape (but not where the pogo pins touch ok LOL!!) before sealing the prime. Anyway here is a link to the pics: http://imgur.com/a/A3HkD#0
I used network monitor to check the signal and before I was averaging -65dBm to -85dBm depending how far I am from my router, now after the mod I get from -38dBm to 65dBm where I normally use the tablet at home. The Mobile Signal is always at a steady -85dBm. So my wifi did improve so I am happy!! .
Well one good thing I did properly tightened (barely tightened) the lcd scews and got rid of the little bit of light bleed that I had.
AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (On Metro PCS)
i317 running [4.4.2] DS-NE5v1
[---]
Samsung XE700T1C A03US
256Gig SSD
Win. 8.1 x64
[---]
Apple iPad Air 128Gig
[---]
Acer Iconia A510 32Gig - Olympic Edition Black

Bulgarien
Old
(Last edited by Bulgarien; 9th April 2012 at 06:31 PM.)
Thanks Meter 9
Cool A great website with wi-fi solutions :)

Asus Prime is not the the first gadget with wifi problems!Google tells that some the best DIY wi-fi solution for our Prime (and others) could find here ;

http://repair4laptop.org/wireless_lan_antennae.html

Personally I first will make the original internal cobber antenna bigger/more of them for higher amplifying. This is proberly the simples and easiest way to fix the wi-fi - [I]and that without cost, wires and holes

http://www.mercenary.ca/articles/r30_antenna.php

everything about DIY wi-fi antenna

http://www.digdice.com/14dbi-18dbi-a...for-5ghz-band/

Supersaiyan.IV
Old
(Last edited by Supersaiyan.IV; 11th April 2012 at 03:37 PM.) Reason: post scriptum
Thanks Meter 177
Attempted to fix the GPS today. This is how it went. Everything is soldered using tiny wires from USB 2.0 cables.

Attempt 1:
Tried soldering the wires directly between antenna, pogo pin and ground. Ground next to the GPS pogo pin was used.
Result: 0 satellites indoor. Disassebled Prime gave 4-5 satellites.
Pics of Attempt 1.

Attempt 2:
Everything done in attempt 1, except that the GPS back plate ground was removed.
Result: 1-2 satellites indoor. Disassebled Prime gave 5-6 satellites.

Attempt 3:
Complete change of approach. Creating an antenna similar to the, as somebody said "PCB faulted", left wifi antenna. Stock GPS antenna will be unused here.
I grabbed two long wires, soldered them to pogo pin and ground, upon which I twisted them and made sure the ends are close but not touching each other. Everything is fitted inside the case.
Result: 1-2 satellites indoor. Disassebled Prime gave 14-18 satellites.
Pics of Attempt 3.

Bottom line, it's hopeless - back plate eats the signal. However, as a side effect of disconnecting the GPS from the back plate ground, which is shared between all onboard antennas, additionally (and measurably) boosted the wifi by 2-4dB.

tl;dr: Wanted to fix GPS, improved wifi instead

Hope somebody will have use for this. Good night.

p.s. When I have time I'll try this AGPS Patch Transformer Prime v1.0 Final | Complete aGPS Solution in combo with ungrounded "Attempt 3". Post if you've tried and had improvement.

c5satellite2
Old
Thanks Meter 748
Can someone PLEASE make this a stickie?

Awsome job! We thank all of you for sharing. Haven't decided if I will send mine in yet or just fix it myself. After reading this, I'm probably fixing myself soon. When I do, I will post my results.

PLEASE MAKE STICKIE!

Sent from my Inspire 4G using XDA

Jesse6749
Old
(Last edited by Jesse6749; 11th April 2012 at 11:24 PM.)
Thanks Meter 120
Talking Got my TFP GPS to Work!!!!!!!

Update 04/10/2012: I decided to stop messing with the antenna boards and took 2 wifi antenna wires off an old broken HP DV2000 laptop and put them on the open antenna connectors on the motherboard and ran the wires along to top of the motherboard. I went from a non working gps to a working gps, I have tried several times and I always get a gps lock with gps fix and gps essentials with 1 minute. It's better than a non working gps. Here is link to a pic of the wires I connected before I insulated them and I did put a small bit of solder on the side of the connectors to keep them in place: http://imgur.com/3RHNI Also my wifi did improve significantly as well, my signal now stays between -42dBm and -65dBm which is good enough for what I do with my tablet.
[---]
Samsung XE700T1C A03US
256Gig SSD
Win. 8.1 x64
[---]
Apple iPad Air 128Gig
[---]
The Following User Says Thank You to Jesse6749 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

aznmode
Old
(Last edited by aznmode; 11th April 2012 at 06:55 PM.)
Thanks Meter 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse6749 View Post
Update 04/10/2012: I decided to stop messing with the antenna boards and took 2 wifi antenna wires off an old broken HP DV2000 laptop and put them on the open antenna connectors on the motherboard and ran the wires along to top of the motherboard. I went from a non working gps to a working gps, I have tried several times and I always get a gps lock with gps fix and gps essentials with 1 minute. It's better than a non working gps. Here is link to a pic of the wires I connected before I insulated them and I did put a small bit of solder on the side of the connectors to keep them in place: http://imgur.com/3RHNI Also my wifi did improve significantly as well, my signal now stays between -42dBm and -65dBm which is good enough for what I do with my tablet.
Now the question is...will it track you when youre driving? This is one of the things that I've yet seen work. GPS is pointless if you cant use it for turn by turn. I've tried a few things myself and ended up getting a unit with working gps as long as I dont move lol.

master1988
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse6749 View Post
Can you plz upload more pics...
Where do your wires go?!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium
Samsung Galaxy S: inofficial CM11
Samsung Galaxy S2: Vanilla Rootbox
Samsung Galaxy S4: Omega Rom
Asus Transformer Prime 32GB with Dock
-unlooked and rooted
-AndroWook HairyBean 2.31
-data2sd @1.7 Ghz, fsync and journal disabled

Jesse6749
Old
(Last edited by Jesse6749; 12th April 2012 at 06:38 PM.)
Thanks Meter 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by master1988 View Post
Can you plz upload more pics...
Where do your wires go?!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium
OK Another update at your request: Here are a couple of more pics added, I ran out of electrical tape so for now I used some duct tape to keep the wires in place, I am gonna get some electrical tape to make the job much cleaner and maybe finally complete, the antenna connectors are on the left side of the screen and the wires end on the left corner of the screen. it's not the perfect gps yet cause of the back plate, but at least now it works 100% better than before for me http://imgur.com/a/rbVuM#0

When I finish the job I may post the final pictures.

Well here are some pics of the finished job, I ran the wires along the top of the motherboard and secured them with teflon tape as I do not have electrical tape. I had put the wires off the motherboard side and cause they way too close to the back plate I had lost my gps again anf my wifi signal dropped too, thus is the reason to tape the wires to the edge of the motherboard pcb and my wifi works good and the gps started working again, nit great signal but it works and i get a lock every time (outside only, inside I cannot get a lock still :() but it works. http://imgur.com/spCLp,qLzTX#0

Update: Yeah the gps works kinda but it is still way too weak and flaky, at least I made it work from not working at all LOL!!!!!. Oh well I am going to just use my Acer Iconia A100 as my gps navigation device.
[---]
Samsung XE700T1C A03US
256Gig SSD
Win. 8.1 x64
[---]
Apple iPad Air 128Gig
[---]

Tags
asus, disassemble asus transformer prime, prime, take apart asus transformer prime, transformer