OP letama

4th February 2012, 09:17 AM   |  #1  
OP Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 2,312

1,679 posts
Donate to Me
Hello Guys,

Here is a plasma active build:

Don't expect much support on this, for me it seems unusable as it is, too slow and not finished. I just wanted to take a look at the way they boot from sdcard.

Installation:

1) You need SDE activated.
2) Unzip files to a directory
3) Copy plasma_rootfs.img to root of storage
4) Flash kernel+initramfs.gz in recovery (details with pictures there).
5) Boot sde
6) Wait, wait, wait! First boot is very slow, I didn't even try a second boot

Download is there (big file, 447 MB)

Thanks to cajl for pointing this and pushing me working on it.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to letama For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th February 2012, 11:32 AM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Paris
Thanks Meter: 8,478

3,587 posts
Donate to Me
Looks great !

Thank you for your excellent work ! I will try your ROM later....
The Following User Says Thank You to surdu_petru For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th February 2012, 12:42 PM   |  #3  
Flag Poznań
Thanks Meter: 245

1,087 posts
More
Yet Another Stupid Question
Does this work also on hdd models?

tapatalked from Desire
4th February 2012, 03:52 PM   |  #4  
Flag Moscow
Thanks Meter: 6

40 posts
BTW, someone promised a KDE-based buid as the usual SDE 'firmware' for gen9. Probably on behalf of Archos itself... Two months ago. Still there are no more signs of progress...
Not allowed to post links here yet, look at dot.kde.org
Last edited by iourine; 4th February 2012 at 04:10 PM.
4th February 2012, 04:42 PM   |  #5  
Flag Pisa
Thanks Meter: 14

36 posts
Donate to Me
PLEASE READ:

I talked to a developer working for Archos, the Plasma Active based firmware is going to be the official SDE firmware!
But they're not working on it at the moment, they're trying to get ICS firmware out asap!

ALSO NOTE THAT:
the current plasma active image has no wifi (this is what I was told, haven't tried it yet) and that XORG is not HW Accelerated! The developer who made the Plasma Active based image is waiting for the kernel v3 to be released together with ICS firmware, hoping that a new kernel will fix the issues with WiFi and Hw acceleration.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to faenil For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th February 2012, 06:07 PM   |  #6  
Flag Moscow
Thanks Meter: 6

40 posts
Thank you, faenil - any piece of information is useful... but why so many capital letters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by faenil

I talked to a developer working for Archos, the Plasma Active based firmware is going to be the official SDE firmware!
But they're not working on it at the moment, they're trying to get ICS firmware out asap!

Quite reasonable approach for a vendor. No more questions. At least, it is a very good sign that the vendor does not go blindly within the entire Google-driven mainstream but has a broader insight and does try the alternatives. A bad thing IMHO is that the heaviest desktop environment is selected, the least appropriate for XDAs. Yet some people really like it...

Quote:

the current plasma active image has no wifi (this is what I was told, haven't tried it yet) and that XORG is not HW Accelerated! The developer who made the Plasma Active based image is waiting for the kernel v3 to be released together with ICS firmware, hoping that a new kernel will fix the issues with WiFi and Hw acceleration.

well, without wifi it it a pretty useless toy... hw acceleration is less critical for me (but not for others, I think).

On the other hand, once Archos is officially involved into this project, why couldn't they use the existing 2.6.x kernel? It does work within the Android, hence, there are all necessary modules and kernel options being known, written and placed properly. Excuse my ignorance, what is the problem in building the kernel with all the hw features for a particular device yet without Android-specific sw components? Or what is the problem in running a generic Linux userspace on top of it?
The Following User Says Thank You to iourine For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th February 2012, 09:13 PM   |  #7  
OP Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 2,312

1,679 posts
Donate to Me
Hi gen_scheisskopf,

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen_scheisskopf

Yet Another Stupid Question
Does this work also on hdd models?

No, still the same issue, I didn't make any progress on this. Sorry :(
5th February 2012, 03:15 PM   |  #8  
Flag near PARIS (94)
Thanks Meter: 167

838 posts
Donate to Me
More
See this information from Basyscom

« Hi Jean-Luc ,
unfortunately we’ll have to wait a bit as the developer edition is required to install plasma edition. Archos wants to publish the developer edition after icecream sandwich being released.
Regards,
Eva »

But letama is faster .....
6th February 2012, 12:36 AM   |  #9  
Flag Pisa
Thanks Meter: 14

36 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by iourine

On the other hand, once Archos is officially involved into this project, why couldn't they use the existing 2.6.x kernel? It does work within the Android, hence, there are all necessary modules and kernel options being known, written and placed properly. Excuse my ignorance, what is the problem in building the kernel with all the hw features for a particular device yet without Android-specific sw components? Or what is the problem in running a generic Linux userspace on top of it?

The problem is the guy who's currently building PlasmaActive images is not from Archos the guy from Basyscom http://basyskom.com/news/78-plasma-a...on-archos.html

I don't know if there's any agreement, but I think they'll probably use his work and add the missing features at Archos
8th February 2012, 04:23 PM   |  #10  
Flag Hamburg
Thanks Meter: 713

237 posts
Donate to Me
More
Hello letama, nice work here!
Do you have WiFi working in this image?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread