Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,547 Members 42,976 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[ROM] Plasma Active for SDE enabled Gen9

Tip us?

letama
Old
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 2310

DONATE TO ME
Default [ROM] Plasma Active for SDE enabled Gen9

Hello Guys,

Here is a plasma active build:

Don't expect much support on this, for me it seems unusable as it is, too slow and not finished. I just wanted to take a look at the way they boot from sdcard.

Installation:

1) You need SDE activated.
2) Unzip files to a directory
3) Copy plasma_rootfs.img to root of storage
4) Flash kernel+initramfs.gz in recovery (details with pictures there).
5) Boot sde
6) Wait, wait, wait! First boot is very slow, I didn't even try a second boot

Download is there (big file, 447 MB)

Thanks to cajl for pointing this and pushing me working on it.
Sony Xperia S (Boot Manager, JB AOSP 4.2.2, JB AOSP 4.3)
Archos A70IT2 Honeycomb model (SDE and rooted firmware)
Archos A101 G9 (SDE enabling, SDE root firmware , G9 ICS Alpha 0 )
Want to buy me a beer? Here is my donation link.

"I herd you like updates so we put an update in yo update so you can update while u update" g.revaillot (Archos)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to letama For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

surdu_petru
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 7497

DONATE TO ME
Looks great !

Thank you for your excellent work ! I will try your ROM later....
The Following User Says Thank You to surdu_petru For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

gen_scheisskopf
Old
Thanks Meter 243
Yet Another Stupid Question
Does this work also on hdd models?

tapatalked from Desire
Code:
setprop persist.world.domination 1
Twitter

iourine
Old
(Last edited by iourine; 4th February 2012 at 03:10 PM.)
Thanks Meter 6
BTW, someone promised a KDE-based buid as the usual SDE 'firmware' for gen9. Probably on behalf of Archos itself... Two months ago. Still there are no more signs of progress...
Not allowed to post links here yet, look at dot.kde.org

faenil
Old
Thanks Meter 14

DONATE TO ME
PLEASE READ:

I talked to a developer working for Archos, the Plasma Active based firmware is going to be the official SDE firmware!
But they're not working on it at the moment, they're trying to get ICS firmware out asap!

ALSO NOTE THAT:
the current plasma active image has no wifi (this is what I was told, haven't tried it yet) and that XORG is not HW Accelerated! The developer who made the Plasma Active based image is waiting for the kernel v3 to be released together with ICS firmware, hoping that a new kernel will fix the issues with WiFi and Hw acceleration.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to faenil For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

iourine
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Thank you, faenil - any piece of information is useful... but why so many capital letters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by faenil View Post
I talked to a developer working for Archos, the Plasma Active based firmware is going to be the official SDE firmware!
But they're not working on it at the moment, they're trying to get ICS firmware out asap!
Quite reasonable approach for a vendor. No more questions. At least, it is a very good sign that the vendor does not go blindly within the entire Google-driven mainstream but has a broader insight and does try the alternatives. A bad thing IMHO is that the heaviest desktop environment is selected, the least appropriate for XDAs. Yet some people really like it...

Quote:
the current plasma active image has no wifi (this is what I was told, haven't tried it yet) and that XORG is not HW Accelerated! The developer who made the Plasma Active based image is waiting for the kernel v3 to be released together with ICS firmware, hoping that a new kernel will fix the issues with WiFi and Hw acceleration.
well, without wifi it it a pretty useless toy... hw acceleration is less critical for me (but not for others, I think).

On the other hand, once Archos is officially involved into this project, why couldn't they use the existing 2.6.x kernel? It does work within the Android, hence, there are all necessary modules and kernel options being known, written and placed properly. Excuse my ignorance, what is the problem in building the kernel with all the hw features for a particular device yet without Android-specific sw components? Or what is the problem in running a generic Linux userspace on top of it?
The Following User Says Thank You to iourine For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

letama
Old
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 2310

DONATE TO ME
Hi gen_scheisskopf,

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen_scheisskopf View Post
Yet Another Stupid Question
Does this work also on hdd models?
No, still the same issue, I didn't make any progress on this. Sorry :(
Sony Xperia S (Boot Manager, JB AOSP 4.2.2, JB AOSP 4.3)
Archos A70IT2 Honeycomb model (SDE and rooted firmware)
Archos A101 G9 (SDE enabling, SDE root firmware , G9 ICS Alpha 0 )
Want to buy me a beer? Here is my donation link.

"I herd you like updates so we put an update in yo update so you can update while u update" g.revaillot (Archos)

cajl
Old
Thanks Meter 167

DONATE TO ME
See this information from Basyscom

« Hi Jean-Luc ,
unfortunately we’ll have to wait a bit as the developer edition is required to install plasma edition. Archos wants to publish the developer edition after icecream sandwich being released.
Regards,
Eva »

But letama is faster .....
The old man of Archos
All Archos from JUKEBOX 6000 to GEN XX
see that
http://www.jbmm.fr/2010/10/23/ma-folie-archosienne/
THANKS for your THANKS

faenil
Old
Thanks Meter 14

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by iourine View Post
On the other hand, once Archos is officially involved into this project, why couldn't they use the existing 2.6.x kernel? It does work within the Android, hence, there are all necessary modules and kernel options being known, written and placed properly. Excuse my ignorance, what is the problem in building the kernel with all the hw features for a particular device yet without Android-specific sw components? Or what is the problem in running a generic Linux userspace on top of it?
The problem is the guy who's currently building PlasmaActive images is not from Archos the guy from Basyscom http://basyskom.com/news/78-plasma-a...on-archos.html

I don't know if there's any agreement, but I think they'll probably use his work and add the missing features at Archos

a1Pha
Old
Thanks Meter 687

DONATE TO ME
Hello letama, nice work here!
Do you have WiFi working in this image?