Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,340 Members 43,775 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] HELP Transformer Prime Won't Charge via wall plug

Tip us?

askmattrix
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] HELP Transformer Prime Won't Charge via wall plug

My 3 day old prime will not charge via the power adapter, I tried bending the prongs, I tried freezing it thinking there may be a thermal cut off switch.

The cable i snot bad because my PC and MAC both see it via USB, I just can't get it to charge.

Any ideas would due greatly appreciated before i send it back to New Egg. It is a C Series Serial Number.

Thanks

lchaffinii
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Check the power adapter. Mine had separated a little from the "brick". Once I snapped it back together it worked. My experience.

Knu2Lav
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Same thing for me.. PC recognizes it as a media device, but will not charge with wall charger. Wall charger works with my HTC Phone, so it works.

I don't think it has anything to do with the latest update, since the Dock wont charge either, and there's no OS in that, right?

erikk
Old
Thanks Meter 17
There have been a lot of people remarking on the wall charger going dead. Contact Asus or bring it back to the store.
Samsung Galaxy S5 towelroot
Samsung Galaxy S4
Samsung Galaxy S3
iPhone 4 - 5.0.1 jailbroke
AT&T Fuze - HTC Raphael
Rom: NATF v4.7 Standard

Knu2Lav
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikk View Post
There have been a lot of people remarking on the wall charger going dead. Contact Asus or bring it back to the store.
But that's just the thing, the wallcharger works on my phone, but not the Prime. Does that mean that it sends out too little power, or is something else wrong?

'cooleagle'
Old
(Last edited by 'cooleagle'; 6th March 2012 at 05:05 PM.)
Retired Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 1,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knu2Lav View Post
But that's just the thing, the wallcharger works on my phone, but not the Prime. Does that mean that it sends out too little power, or is something else wrong?
Now that's weird !

How can a charger which came with the Tablet give an output power which is not enough to charge the Tablet which it has been made for? That does not add up.

Knu2Lav
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'cooleagle' View Post
Now that's weird !

How can a charger which came with the Tablet give an output power which is not enough to charge the Tablet which it has been made for? That does not add up. :no:
Can it be something with the newest firmware update? I read something about that on another Android forum, but that was for the old Transformer.

But still, why then wouldn't it charge the dock, since there's no OS on there, is it? Would not have anything to do with a firmware update?

dude6595
Old
(Last edited by dude6595; 6th March 2012 at 05:30 PM.)
Thanks Meter 224
This charger crap is stupid....mine stopped and it wasn't even plugged in....freezer fixed it though

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk
Nexus 4
Samsung Galaxy Note II (N7100)
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (N8013)

mazjohn
Old
(Last edited by mazjohn; 6th March 2012 at 05:52 PM.)
Thanks Meter 15
I recall reading somewhere that the Asus charger can put out 5 volts, or 11+ volts (11 + is required to charge the prime.) It could be that it is charging your phone because it is supplying the 5volts, but it may have something wrong with it and it is not putting out the 11+ volts required to charge the Prime.

My first Prime had this EXACT problem where it would no longer charge, and I returned it for a second one while under the return window- I believe the Asus chargers are just not very good and they are prone to failures.

When I received my second prime, I went out and Purchased a Radio Shack 12 volt wall charger, with a USB adapter that plugs into the transformer prime charging cable. The Radio shack charger is much better for me- no failures and it does not event get warm while charging- the tablet has worked fine for the last 2 months so far without issue.

If you are interested in the radio shack charger, see other posts made by me for specific part numbers. you can order online, or pickup in store at most locations.

Asus needs to do something about these wall chargers. They need to be re-designed so that they do not seperate, and do not require cartridge based adapters- this is a huge problem.

The primes biggest issue with " Prime reliability" is the wall charger IMO- More failures and returned units for this than anything else.

I love my Prime, and the radio shack charger works for me- good luck: and check all of your other options first before returning your tablet... there is a good chance it has to do with the charger itself.

//End- Shutdown of response signal: termination at reply to Android root/ bye.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mazjohn For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Knu2Lav
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazjohn View Post
I recall reading somewhere that the Asus charger can put out 5 volts, or 11+ volts (11 + is required to charge the prime.) It could be that it is charging your phone because it is supplying the 5volts, but it may have something wrong with it and it is not putting out the 11+ volts required to charge the Prime.

My first Prime had this EXACT problem where it would no longer charge, and I returned it for a second one while under the return window- I believe the Asus chargers are just not very good and they are prone to failures.

When I received my second prime, I went out and Purchased a Radio Shack 12 volt wall charger, with a USB adapter that plugs into the transformer prime charging cable. The Radio shack charger is much better for me- no failures and it does not event get warm while charging- the tablet has worked fine for the last 2 months so far without issue.

//End- Shutdown of response signal: termination at reply to Android root/ bye.
Could you post a link for that 12 volts usb-adapter?

The Following User Says Thank You to Knu2Lav For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
transformer prime won't charge via power adapter