Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[solved] Help! cannot restore stock rom!

OP crescal

6th February 2012, 08:08 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 94

517 posts
More
few days ago I just flashed cwm recovery and made a backup for every partition, after that I flashed the cm7.2.

but now when I want to go back to stock, I cannot restore the backup. it seemed that the recovery cannot format the partitions into rfs. (even I used the rfs+ext4 recovery)

anyone has any ideas?
Last edited by crescal; 8th February 2012 at 01:33 PM.
6th February 2012, 08:51 AM   |  #2  
Flag Sofia
Thanks Meter: 8

52 posts
More
Did you have an ext4 partition when you did the backup? I've experienced problems with the CWM backup a couple of times because it's not getting along well with ext4 partitions so I had to go from scratch a couple of times because I couldn't do a restore. For Galaxy Gio, I would recommend you to use Titanium Backup instead of CWM Recovery from now on if don't want to get into trouble with backups and stuff.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nytmarez For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th February 2012, 04:02 PM   |  #3  
Flag Bucuresti
Thanks Meter: 43

294 posts
More
Just flash a new firmware via ODIN.
The Following User Says Thank You to LegoGabi For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th February 2012, 04:43 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member

517 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegoGabi

Just flash a new firmware via ODIN.

thanks for replies but my original firmware contains chinese which cannot available here
7th February 2012, 12:56 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 35

104 posts
Try this:
1) flash some stock multi-package firmware (that would format your FS to rfs from ext4); shouldn't matter much what firmware you flash, just something Gingerbread-ish to allow CWM to work, as you only need it to format partitions
2) flash CWM (or install via update.zip method from recovery) that works with stock firmware (I believe it's the one with rfs+ext4 support but you better check in CWM thread)
3) restore your stock ROM backup
The Following User Says Thank You to JustVass For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th February 2012, 01:17 AM   |  #6  
Montréal
Thanks Meter: 474

997 posts
Donate to Me
More
Have you checked Samsung firmware websites like samfirmware to see if they had yours?

If not, there are instructions here on creating an Odin flashable backup, which you could do if you have access to another, unmodified Gio.

Otherwise, look into the workings of CWM. You may be capable of DD'ing the nandroid files manually, but don't take my word for it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Darkshado For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th February 2012, 01:33 PM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member

517 posts
More
thanks everyone who replied, i finally figured out what's wrong.

It turned out to be the problem that no CWM for gio could format the partitions into rfs therefore they kept giving me errors when i tried to restore.

and after some trials, I found that the CWM for CM7 (cwm-v2.zip) can actually restore my backup, but with the system, data, cache formated in ext3. Therefore with the stock kernel, it won't boot.

Final remedy: use CWM for CM7 to restore the backup, then flash a custom kernel for stock rom.
12th February 2012, 12:54 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 73

243 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crescal

thanks everyone who replied, i finally figured out what's wrong.

It turned out to be the problem that no CWM for gio could format the partitions into rfs therefore they kept giving me errors when i tried to restore.

and after some trials, I found that the CWM for CM7 (cwm-v2.zip) can actually restore my backup, but with the system, data, cache formated in ext3. Therefore with the stock kernel, it won't boot.

Final remedy: use CWM for CM7 to restore the backup, then flash a custom kernel for stock rom.

Which kernel? Im in your exact situation, i got the cwm you mention and it restored the back up and flashing the kernel for stock rom with lots of options claiming to support ext4 i get boot loops. If you can tell me what kernel you booted with i will be very grateful. Tomorrow is my daughters bday and i need my korean gio with different wifi hardware to tether to my tablet for ideo chat, which only works with stock. Thank you.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread