5,604,730 Members 31,743 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Cornerstone by Onskreen just went Open Source!

Tip us?

dereks443
Old
(Last edited by dereks443; 8th February 2012 at 11:11 PM.) Reason: Further Info
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Cornerstone by Onskreen just went Open Source!

Cornerstone allows you to see multiple apps running at once, like a window manager for Android.

This is some seriously cool ****. Check it out:

http://onskreen.com/cornerstone/

They have just gone Open Source and put the code on GitHub.

It's not as useful for tiny phone screens, where you need every pixel for just a single app. But for tablets -- especially the 7" and 10" sizes -- this is a huge deal. Android tablets can now actually be used for real work.

I would love to see this in CM9. So far, no official APK has been released, and it's not clear whether a deeper level of integration is required from ROM vendors. I've asked some basic questions on their Google group for Cornerstone development:

http://groups.google.com/group/cornerstone-dev

Further Info:

In order to control the screen display of other 3rd-party apps, Cornerstone does in fact make changes to the Android "/framework" code. (There are those framework changes, plus two APK packages that provide the GUI for launching and managing apps.)

This means that Cornerstone support would need to be integrated into the ROM directly. It cannot simply be installed with an APK. I'm fairly new to Android development, but it seems like it would be necessary to apply their changes to the Cyanogenmod GitHub tree and then build a new ROM for your specific device.

It would be easiest for users if the CM team if they integrated the support directly into their tree; then users would be able to choose to use the end-user APK files or simply not use them.

Thanar
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Any chance you could post an apk? I'm not able to build it otherwise till tomorrow or so and that sounds awesome!

Archer
Old
Senior Moderator / Recognized Developer - (Un)Recognized Pole Dancer
Thanks Meter 3743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanar View Post
Any chance you could post an apk? I'm not able to build it otherwise till tomorrow or so and that sounds awesome!
He's already answered that question

Quote:
Originally Posted by dereks443 View Post
So far, no official APK has been released, and it's not clear whether a deeper level of integration is required from ROM vendors.
"I live by my own rules, nobody else's, not even my own."
My xda links

New User Guide | XDA Forum Rules | 10 Posts - Why and How? | Admins & Mods | My xda Bookmarks

Thanar
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Mmm I was thinking they just posted the source and was letting people just sign the apk from there. I guess I just misunderstood.

kevinniven
Old
Thanks Meter 48
Default Wow

Looks great and would love it on the Asus Prime!!
@kevniv Tmo HTC Sensation & Verizon Droid X2
HTC HD2
Samsung Tab
Asus Transformer
Ipad 1 HP Touchpad
HTC Flyer

jrz2freshh
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Lightbulb ICS alpha 2 testing conerstone

hey I'm kind of new to this community. But have some experiences rooting and flashing android devices. I had flash ICS 4.0.3 to a Tmobile Samsung vibrant, gs2, nexus, htc EO a lot more. finally my touchpad running ICS 4.0.4 with some WiFi and Browser issues. I guess is common because is a rough build.

. I'm going to flash ICS with cornerstone let you know how it goes...
The Following User Says Thank You to jrz2freshh For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
cornerstone, launcher, onskreen, task manager