Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,949 Members 43,571 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How to Root the Sony Tablet S

Tip us?

obicom
Old
Thanks Meter 80
Works great ... full respect from my side .... well done ... !!

YOU ARE MY HERO !!!!

ejchis
Old
(Last edited by ejchis; 8th February 2012 at 06:32 PM.)
Thanks Meter 84
My adb was being funky. I found a post somewhere else through Google where someone had to rename their adb.exe file to adb.exe.exe, reboot their computer, and rename the file back to adb.exe. I did this as a stab in the dark, and my command prompt suddenly began working for me. Tablet is currently rebooting for a third time. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

EDIT: SUCCESS! Thank you, djrbliss.

ALF@be
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Great, thank you for this !
Device: HTC One X+ ROM: ARHD 8 2.18.401.2 Kernel: EliteKernel Radio: Stock 3.1204.171.33
Device: LG G2 ROM: Pardus HD RoMô Sensation Black v3.2 Kernel: @dorimanx Kernel 7.1 Radio: 1.0.190084
Device: Sony Xperia Z1 ROM: Stock 14.4.A.0.108 Kernel: DoomLord Kernel v21 Radio: Stock 14.4.A.0.108
Device: Sony Tablet Xperia Z2 ROM: Stock 17.1.1.A.0.402 Kernel: Stock Kernel Radio: Stock 17.1.1.A.0.402

rjsmith2007
Old
Thanks Meter 12
I tried to use the exploit after a factory reset, and I can't get it to work.

Code:
F:\Desktop\Sony_Tablet_S_Root_Windows>run.bat[*][*] Sony Tablet S root script (Windows version)[*] by Dan Rosenberg (@djrbliss)[*][*] Before continuing, ensure USB debugging is enabled, that ADB[*] is working properly, and that your tablet is connected via USB.[*][*] WARNING: This exploit may result in wiping your /data partition,[*] causing you to lose any applications and data on your tablet.[*] There should be no risk of permanent damage to your device, but[*] by running this script you accept all responsibility.[*][*] Press enter to root your tablet...
Press any key to continue . . .[*][*] Waiting for device...
* daemon not running. starting it now *
* daemon started successfully *[*] Device found.[*] Pushing log flooder to device...
583 KB/s (5382 bytes in 0.009s)[*] Preparing to append to packages.list...[*] Rebooting device...[*] Waiting for tablet to reboot.[*] Attempting to move system package library directory...
[+] System package com.google.android.location has uid 10029
[+] Flooding log...[*] If you received any errors in the previous step, abort the exploit[*] and try again.  Otherwise, press any key to continue.
Press any key to continue . . .[*] Rebooting device...[*] Waiting for tablet to reboot.[*] Attempting to insert fake local.prop entry...
[+] Flooding log...[*] Rebooting device...[*] Waiting for tablet to reboot.[*] Attemping persistence...
remount failed: Operation not permitted
failed to copy 'su' to '/system/bin/su': Read-only file system
Unable to chmod /system/bin/su: No such file or directory
failed to copy 'busybox' to '/system/xbin/busybox': Read-only file system
Unable to chmod /system/xbin/busybox: No such file or directory
/system/xbin/busybox: not found
failed to copy 'Superuser.apk' to '/system/app/Superuser.apk': Read-only file sy
stem[*] Cleaning up...
failed on '/data/data/com.google.android.location/lib.bak' - Permission denied[*] Rebooting...[*] Exploit complete![*] Press any key to exit.
Press any key to continue . . .
ADB works and debugging is enabled.
The Following User Says Thank You to rjsmith2007 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

HKboy92
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Got it working. Next step is CWM and then a nice fresh cup of awesomeness. Thanks Dan. Expect a donation your way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judah001 View Post
Is anyone able to make a YouTube video for people like me who canít seem to figure it out? That would be totally appreciated not only by me but Iím sure the rest of our tablet S community. Thanks for root!
OKay
Samsung Galaxy Ass III Vikingway 5
Asus Transformer Prime TF201
The Following User Says Thank You to HKboy92 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsmith2007 View Post
I tried to use the exploit after a factory reset, and I can't get it to work.

Code:
F:\Desktop\Sony_Tablet_S_Root_Windows>run.bat[*][*] Sony Tablet S root script (Windows version)[*] by Dan Rosenberg (@djrbliss)[*][*] Before continuing, ensure USB debugging is enabled, that ADB[*] is working properly, and that your tablet is connected via USB.[*][*] WARNING: This exploit may result in wiping your /data partition,[*] causing you to lose any applications and data on your tablet.[*] There should be no risk of permanent damage to your device, but[*] by running this script you accept all responsibility.[*][*] Press enter to root your tablet...
* daemon started successfully *[*] Device found.[*] Pushing log flooder to device...
583 KB/s (5382 bytes in 0.009s)[*] Preparing to append to packages.list...[*] Rebooting device...[*] Waiting for tablet to reboot.[*] Attempting to move system package library directory...
[+] Flooding log...[*] If you received any errors in the previous step, abort the exploit[*] and try again.  Otherwise, press any key to continue.
Press any key to continue . . .[*] Rebooting device...[*] Waiting for tablet to reboot.[*] Attempting to insert fake local.prop entry...
[+] Flooding log...[*] Rebooting device...[*] Waiting for tablet to reboot.[*] Attemping persistence...
failed to copy 'Superuser.apk' to '/system/app/Superuser.apk': Read-only file sy
stem[*] Cleaning up...
failed on '/data/data/com.google.android.location/lib.bak' - Permission denied[*] Rebooting...[*] Exploit complete![*] Press any key to exit.
ADB works and debugging is enabled.
Try running the .bat file again, it happened to me first time, but when I tried it second time it worked.

rjsmith2007
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05081983 View Post
Try running the .bat file again, it happened to me first time, but when I tried it second time it worked.
When I run the bat file the second time, I get an error related to the files that the exploit handles:

Code:
[+] Flooding log...
failed on '/data/data/com.google.android.location/lib' - Permission denied
link failed File exists[*]
Code:
656 KB/s (5382 bytes in 0.008s)[*] Preparing to append to packages.list...[*] Rebooting device...[*] Waiting for tablet to reboot.[*] Attempting to move system package library directory...
[+] Flooding log...
link failed File exists[*] If you received any errors in the previous step, abort the exploit[*] and try again.  Otherwise, press any key to continue.
stem[*] Cleaning up...

F:\Desktop\Sony_Tablet_S_Root_Windows>

obicom
Old
Thanks Meter 80
I guess it is not so "easy" to get CWM on the tablet. As I know, CWM is part of kernel and this is signed on the Sony Tablet S ....

@Dan:
Is it right and do you see a opportunity to get CWM on Tablet S?

djrbliss
Old
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 2,613

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsmith2007 View Post
When I run the bat file the second time, I get an error related to the files that the exploit handles:

Code:
[+] Flooding log...
link failed File exists[*]
I just uploaded a new version of the exploit that should fix this problem. Just unzip it, execute "run.bat", and let me know how it goes.

If anyone has been having any problems with the exploit, please try the new version here:
http://vulnfactory.org/public/Sony_T...ot_Windows.zip
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djrbliss For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rjsmith2007
Old
(Last edited by rjsmith2007; 8th February 2012 at 07:26 PM.)
Thanks Meter 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by djrbliss View Post
I just uploaded a new version of the exploit that should fix this problem. Just unzip it, execute "run.bat", and let me know how it goes.

If anyone has been having any problems with the exploit, please try the new version here:
http://vulnfactory.org/public/Sony_T...ot_Windows.zip
Thanks. I'll try it out now!

Edit: I'm still getting the same end result. Should I wait for the device to boot fully to the launcher, when it asks me to press a button before it continues?