Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,332 Members 53,093 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

At&t unlimited data throttling ?

Tip us?

Maroon Mushroom
Old
Thanks Meter 443

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by samomamo View Post
If its UNLIMITED the its supposed to be UNLIMITED OK. Not unlimited 2 kbps

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda premium
If it really bothers you, then switch to the 3gb data plan.

If it bothers you even more, file an official FCC complaint. Many people already have.

We throttle the top 5%. The top 5% varies per market. I regularly pass 10gb and I have had no message on my personal account.

And think about what your other options are.
-2gb on T-Mobile
-Limited LTE data on Verizon, same as us. (they throttle too)
-Sprint - sure you get unlimited. but they have the slowest data out of all the carriers
iPhone 3G > Captivate > Aria > Focus > Atrix 4g > AT&T Galaxy S2 > International Galaxy Note > AT&T Galaxy Note > AT&T One X > HSPA Galaxy Nexus > Nexus 7 > iPhone 5 > > Galaxy S3 > 16gb Nexus 4 > Galaxy S4 > 2013 Nexus 7 32gb > Nexus 5 White 32gb
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maroon Mushroom For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

samomamo
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 228
So we have to bend over and take it? That's what we are doing now.

boxerlover02
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEDan1977 View Post
They don't throttle if you are on an unlimited plan unless you are in the top 5%. I had a customer last month who used 28GB in one month streaming netflix all day every day. Needless to say he was being throttled. They actually put a code on your account if you are being throttled that any rep can see and they send you an automated text message. So it is not a surprise, so unless you got this text then you are experiencing slower speeds for some other reason.
So your saying anybody that uses more then 2-3 gbs is in the "top 5%"? I just got the text that I'm approaching the top 5% and I'm just over 3gbs. I agree with the OP it's a load of BS if I sign up for something that's labeled unlimited it should be unlimited. I think its BS that they throttle it so low most apps like YouTube wont even work right. And for the government stepping in that'll take some REAL change in government, there is to much money changing hands in politics for real change to happen and get rid of the corporate government take over. I can't believe for one second that only 5% of at&t customers use less then 2gbs a month. If they started throttling at like 10 or so i would have no problem but after 2-3 they want us to get rid of our unlimited and go to a tiered plan so they can charge a crap ton of money and line their pockets just like the rest of the corporate greed out there!!!

Sent from my Dell Streak using XDA App

Maroon Mushroom
Old
Thanks Meter 443

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
So we have to bend over and take it? That's what we are doing now.

File an FCC complaint. All the carriers have awful data plans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxerlover02 View Post
So your saying anybody that uses more then 2-3 gbs is in the "top 5%"? I just got the text that I'm approaching the top 5% and I'm just over 3gbs. I agree with the OP it's a load of BS if I sign up for something that's labeled unlimited it should be unlimited. I think its BS that they throttle it so low most apps like YouTube wont even work right. And for the government stepping in that'll take some REAL change in government, there is to much money changing hands in politics for real change to happen and get rid of the corporate government take over. I can't believe for one second that only 5% of at&t customers use less then 2gbs a month. If they started throttling at like 10 or so i would have no problem but after 2-3 they want us to get rid of our unlimited and go to a tiered plan so they can charge a crap ton of money and line their pockets just like the rest of the corporate greed out there!!!

The amount at which you get throttled varies per market.

And I disagree with it too. It sucks.
iPhone 3G > Captivate > Aria > Focus > Atrix 4g > AT&T Galaxy S2 > International Galaxy Note > AT&T Galaxy Note > AT&T One X > HSPA Galaxy Nexus > Nexus 7 > iPhone 5 > > Galaxy S3 > 16gb Nexus 4 > Galaxy S4 > 2013 Nexus 7 32gb > Nexus 5 White 32gb

boxerlover02
Old
Thanks Meter 10
The fact that you say that it varies from market to market sounds like its very ripe for abuse on their part. I can't see how it could be justifiable to throttle me at a little over 3gb when you are using over 10 a month. Sounds like you know an end around the very system you work for. It all boils down to corporate greed and the fact that we in the USA have let companies like this get away with so much for so long that its just 2nd nature and everybody wants to say its the consumers fault.

Willthrill
Old
Thanks Meter 5
I had a text 1 day before my cycle ended saying I am approaching the top 5%

Now you ask how much data I had used do you.... 1.5 gb
Now that is complete horse sh*t

00mred00
Old
Thanks Meter 406

DONATE TO ME
Guys verizon does not currently throttle LTE customers, they do throttle 3g.

as for the APN tricks...we are noticing on the Skyrocket forum that for many it is not working any more.

The best you can do is continue to call in and have the specific throttle call response center note your account of any issues you are experiencing while throttled (i.e. I was throttled for 8 days during my last billing cycle and no web pages would load, text messaging stopped working, the market gave no connection errors, mms was not working at all) so that they know this is doing more harm than simply limiting speeds.

That and file a SPECIFIC FCC complaint. So far FCC complaints have done nothing but initiate a contact from ATT that this is the new policy.

The major problem is that as the throttle policy continues, the top 5% will drop as people use less data. This and the fact that the call center uses the consumer calling in to complain as an opportunity to have them switch to a tiered plan, on which they will not be throttled.

The given response is intended by ATT to be

1. The throttle policy is intended to be a temporary solution to the evergrowing need for growing spectrum and the currently congested network.

2. For immediate relief one can use wifi when available and one does have the option of changing to a tiered plan, which is not throttled.

Is it BS, yes, but it is what it is.

I did the math and we are better off staying with ATT right this moment.
Our six lines of service would cost much much more on any other carrier. In my case I could actually switch to the 5 gb plan and use 3gb over and still pay less than at the competing carriers.

drpal181
Old
Thanks Meter 3
How is the amount in the top 5% determened? I got my line way back in the day when smartphones were taboo and not "trendey" and it was known as cingular. I didnt half to pull matrix hack to get teathering. The software was on the disk and the instructions were on the owners manual. Why are long time customers have to be restricted now? I got my unlimited plan because I want and can make use my data. I got trottled only after two to three day in the billing cycle. I stream spurs basketball on nba league pass moble which would jusiffy getting such a plan. Why do I need to pay for wifi when I already paying for the use of unlimited data? Wifi is for the customers that need to ration thier limited data.

samomamo
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 228
My brothers what can we do seriously to damage At&t for BS ing us. Tomorrow the can say anyone using 100 MB is top 5%.

giantenemybird
Old
Thanks Meter 99
Quote:
My brothers what can we do seriously to damage At&t for BS ing us. Tomorrow the can say anyone using 100 MB is top 5%.

I'm not sure I want to damage the company responsible for providing my network coverage. And if you cause me to have a dropped call I will eliminate you