(I noticed my wall paper changed and i had to sign back into Google account)
---This framework-res.apk file is different for every ROM---
In order to lower button brightness levels You have to change values in framework-res.apk/res/values/arrays.xml and here is how (read whole post first )
These are stock HTC AMAZE values:
<integer-array name="config_autoBrightnessButtonBacklightValues"> <item>255</item> <item>255</item> <item>255</item> <item>255</item> <item>-1</item> <item>0</item> <item>0</item> <item>0</item> <item>0</item> <item>0</item> </integer-array>
<integer-array name="config_autoBrightnessButtonBacklightValues"> <item>190</item> <item>190</item> <item>190</item> <item>190</item> <item>-1</item> <item>0</item> <item>0</item> <item>0</item> <item>0</item> <item>0</item> </integer-array>
These brightness levels are corresponding to the amount of light that light sensor is getting - the lowest value is while in the low light the highest when for example your phone is in direct sunlight. Brightness values are defined by numbers 1 is the lowest possible setting and 255 is the maximum brightness that can be set.
As You can see I was pretty aggressive with lowering these values and yet the buttons are still bright in every situation. You can set them a little bit higher or lower in order to suit your preferences.
Here is a guide on how to perform this mod on any framework-res.apk using apk manager (thanks for the guide goes to desean):
1. Download APK manager and unpack somewhere
2. Grab framework-res.apk from your phone under \system\framework\ (e.g. adb pull) and place it in the "place-apk-here-for-modding" folder
3. Run Script.bat and select option 9
4. Once done, go to projects\framework-res.apk\res\values\arrays.xml and edit your values as per first post.
5. Once edited, compile the apk using option 11
6. Qn: Is this a system apk. Ans: y
7. Qn: Aside from the signatures, would .... least. Ans: y
8. Prompt: In the apk manager folder u'll find a keep folder..... done then press enter on this script. Press any key to continue . . . You have to go to "keep" folder and delete resources.arsc because arrays.xml have been changed. After this You can press any key in apk manager window.
9. Once done, input 22 in apk manager and select "unsignedframework-res.apk" by entering the number that stands for it. After selecting it You should see in apk main window in the top right corner "Current-App: unsignedframework-res.apk".
10. Now press 5 to zipalign apk. You will find your completed, zipaligned apk under place-apk-here-for-modding\unsignedframework-res.apk.
11.Rename it back to framework-res.apk and adb push the file back to your phone
The file you are pushing must be placed in the platform-tools folder of adb so if you are pushing file "framework-res.apk" this needs to be downloaded/copy and pasted in C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools
1: go to run and type cmd (or just open your command prompt)
2: cd C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools
3: adb remount
4: adb devices *if everything is set up right this should output a serial number*
5: adb push FFFFFFF.FFF /#####/###### *i hope my notes help here you need to put the file name in for the F(s) and in the pound signs you put the destination on the devices:
adb push framework-res.apk /system/framework
Link for APK Manager HERE
If you have problems with apk manager showing java error (like it did) this post helped me fix that
APK Manager 4.9 download link (currently original thread link down for me)