NVIDIA SHIELD Tablet Gets Android 5.0.1, OTA Available

The NVIDIA SHIELD Tablet is the latest Android-powered device released by famed GPU … more

FXP Team Delivers Lollipop to Various Xperia Devices!

From all of us here at XDA-Developers, we’d like to wish you Happy Holidays! If … more

Turn Your Camera Into a Live Puzzle Game

The classic sliding puzzle game hasnt changed much, if at all, over the years. Dating all the way … more

Samsung Begins Production of 8 Gb RAM Chips

With the release of Android 5.0, our favorite mobile operating system has become 64-bit ready. … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Inner-SD installation the risky way..

OP nostard19

10th February 2012, 09:16 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 14

162 posts
Hello Dell streakers.. I am planing to buy a used streak and was going thru various threads for streak development and stumbled upon a theard about upgrading streaks inner-SD from 2gb to 4gb. And then i searched youtube for any video regarding the same and found this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6w4Ab...e_gdata_player

Is it realy safe to install inner sd like its done in the above video? Also i have two 16gb sd cards so is it possible to install both in this this device? Or maybe one 64gb card?Just curious...

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using XDA App
10th February 2012, 09:30 PM   |  #2  
Wiki Admin / Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 1,599

3,547 posts
That's one of the common ways to do it, if the video does what I think it does (only watched a couple seconds)

Method 1: Cut away the plastic covering the innersd, as there isnt that much
Method 2: Completely disassemble/reassemble the device, which is a huge amount of work.

Method 2 also must be repeated every swap, method 1 doesnt, but is a permenent change.

I know the S5 will accept a 4/8gb one without much issue.
16/32gb I dont recall, they may have issues.
A 64 one would be an SDXC, can you see the entire card in SDHC compability mode?
12th February 2012, 10:02 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 5

106 posts
Wink
the answer is YES, is safe to install another card. I use the same method like in the video and i replace the card with 8gb class 10 from Kingstone.
12th February 2012, 12:10 PM   |  #4  
Flag Rotterdam
Thanks Meter: 5

18 posts
More
Did in half an hour or so with the disassembly method upgraded to 8 Gb with 6Gb remaining internal memory. Get a 8Gb class 10. Mine is a trancend ultimate. Tried a kingston 16Gb class10 but the phone didn't recognize it. Perhaps the transcend 16 will work as well as 8Gb version. Mind you the phone does a fscheck on startup so the larger the card is the longer it takes to start up. It took about 30% more time for the 8Gb to start up as it did with the 4Gb class4 stock card from sony.
Grts.
Z.

Sent from my TAB410 using XDA App
16th February 2012, 05:29 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 3

122 posts
Donate to Me
You need to do something to the card to get it to accept more than 8 gigs, though I don't remember what. It is perfectly safe. A hell of a lot safer than taking the entire phone apart, risking ESD, etc. Though, my cut wasn't as clean as that. Lol.
16th February 2012, 11:12 AM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 14

162 posts
Smile Allright!! :)
Seems like this method actually feels less risky then opening the whole phone apart.. I remember how i messed up my sony vaio ux while upgrading the internal 32gb HDD with 128gb HDD..
Allright then.. btw i found information about how to enable innersd more then 8gb. Theres some sort of script and editing in boot file.
Thanks for the responses guys..
20th February 2012, 05:09 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 8

30 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathros

Did in half an hour or so with the disassembly method upgraded to 8 Gb with 6Gb remaining internal memory. Get a 8Gb class 10. Mine is a trancend ultimate. Tried a kingston 16Gb class10 but the phone didn't recognize it. Perhaps the transcend 16 will work as well as 8Gb version. Mind you the phone does a fscheck on startup so the larger the card is the longer it takes to start up. It took about 30% more time for the 8Gb to start up as it did with the 4Gb class4 stock card from sony.
Grts.
Z.

Sent from my TAB410 using XDA App

Me too. I was actually more worried that I'd slip with the knife and ruin the phone. It was dead simple to disassemble the Streak - I went slowly and carefully the first time, but in the end, it was simple.
5th March 2012, 06:33 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 3

141 posts
the question is : does it makes you're streak faster to or is it just more storage?
5th March 2012, 09:07 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 8

30 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasperke

the question is : does it makes you're streak faster to or is it just more storage?

It gave me more storage, and actually slowed down my Streak. Trying both a 4gb and 8gb card, I ended up with a lot of pauses and slowdowns just doing basic operations with my Streak. It was nice to have the extra space, but it made the phone way less usable.

I went back to the stock card.
6th March 2012, 05:01 AM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 73

477 posts
I put in a Sandisk 8gig class 4 sd card and the streak feels snappier than before. The stock sd card is a 2gig class 4 card.

Sent from my MB860 using xda premium

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread