Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,798 Members 39,037 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

- PLEASE READ - POST ALL ICS INFO HERE ONLY - All Others Will Be Locked -

Tip us?

MTAlmeida
Old
Thanks Meter 44
That is it...
Entropy and Chasmodo have said it all !!

The defective firmware came with our devices, on the controller of the eMMC, not with the ICS rom, but the ICS kernel has some unique feature that can trigger the problem on the chip, which dosen't happen on the GB kernel or I9100 rev 4!
So, unless Samsung release a fix to wipe the chip and reinstall every thing again (which I doubt, and if it happens probably will have to be done on Samsung's autorized support centers) we will always have a defective chip, because of the firmware in it.

People who have bricked using Odin is because they wipe just before enter download mode to flash with Odin.
If someone are on ICS and not bricked is because the eMMC controller is not afected by the kernel yet, but when he (or she) wipe before going to dowload, that wipe bricks the fone. So, even if this person dosen't go to download mode with Odin, the fone will not reboot, because it is already bricked. The wipe did the brick, not Odin.

It doesn't happen 100% of the times, but has high chances to happen !
The Following User Says Thank You to MTAlmeida For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

nandihno
Old
Thanks Meter 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAlmeida View Post
That is it...
Entropy and Chasmodo have said it all !!

It doesn't happen 100% of the times, but has high chances to happen !
i understand what you are saying but i have some problem with that last statement. and i understand most devs in here do same the same thing..
my day job is as a software developer, no i don't do android apps, but do java at work. and to me if theres a bug theres always a set of circumstances that will trigger a bug, and that set is finite, and that set is true in so much as that it will always trigger a bug i.e. is not ambiguous.
So when i hear ppl here saying...if u wipe u may get lucky...or unlucky that doesn't flow with how software works.
Now I am making the assumption that the problem is software related and not hardware. if it were hardware of coarse erasing any HDD by x amount of time will deteriorate the disks heads and segments...but if the problem is software, in principle you are dealing with 1 and 0s ..so it can either be 1 OR 0 but it can't be one day 1 or one day 0.
so if i wipe on stock recovery after flashing a new ics rom..and then boot up to google setup.. then it means that somehow i am not triggering the bug and that my set of circumstances assuming all remains equal will never trigger that bug.
so AFAIK it is important what circumstances allow for that bug to be triggered and that to me i don't think we really understand yet.

senectus
Old
Thanks Meter 102
This is horrendous!

I'm running a stock ICS (LPY) that was shipped by the originating telco of the device, and what I'm reading is that this bug might brick my device just by being under heavy load.

I dont even have to be customizing it?!?

right now I'm very tempted to jump to the apparent safety of CM9... but i'm not sure I can even do that safely... :(

MTAlmeida
Old
Thanks Meter 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by nandihno View Post
[...]
Now I am making the assumption that the problem is software related and not hardware.

[...]

so AFAIK it is important what circumstances allow for that bug to be triggered and that to me i don't think we really understand yet.
I agree, the problem is software, more exactly the firmware on the chip.

And yes I agree again, the most impostante is to find out which "unique feature" on the ICS roms triggers the bug, unfortunatly, besides Google, no one here managed to do that yet !

P.S: I'm not a developer, I just have a good understanding of how some programming languages works !

M3TALLICA
Old
Thanks Meter 533
I noticed that the latest LPF is not available on Kies or OTA.
Check FUS Downloader does not show it either.
Does it mean Samsung purposefully leaked it for us to test it for them ?

gavinfabl
Old
Thanks Meter 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boy124 View Post
I noticed that the latest LPF is not available on Kies or OTA.
Check FUS Downloader does not show it either.
Does it mean Samsung purposefully leaked it for us to test it for them ?
I am certain we are beta testing for Samsung. We all.make great candidates.
Ongoing reviews of LG G3, LG G Watch, HTC One M8, S5, Gear Fit+ 15 more http://gavinsgadgets.wordpress.com/review-links/

17 Smartphone Camera Shootout incl S5, M8, 1020, http://gavinsgadgets.wordpress.com/2...y-nokia-apple/

Official Samsung Wireless Cover review with Charging Pad http://gavinsgadgets.wordpress.com/2...-charging-pad/

aftnoon2
Old
Thanks Meter 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinfabl View Post
Maybe you're not so far of truth, unfortunately...

On the other hand, that should be a suicidal consumer politics for Samsung, don't you think?

M3TALLICA
Old
Thanks Meter 533
Thanks.
Some people would argue that 'No one is asking you to be the beta tester'.
But my point is why the !@#$ you release beta **** when kernel sources would probably fix the superbrick? We have better devs than Samsh!t !

PS
I should have created a new thread in the general section. We need more views on this.

gavinfabl
Old
Thanks Meter 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinfabl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftnoon2 View Post
Maybe you're not so far of truth, unfortunately...

On the other hand, that should be a suicidal consumer politics for Samsung, don't you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boy124 View Post
Thanks.
Some people would argue that 'No one is asking you to be the beta tester'.
But my point is why the !@#$ you release beta **** when kernel sources would probably fix the superbrick? We have better devs than Samsh!t !

PS
I should have created a new thread in the general section. We need more views on this.
Well in reality we are only a small section of people buying the phone. But we are willing to stress test the Note. I really believe Samsung read the forums and probably post as a user.
Ongoing reviews of LG G3, LG G Watch, HTC One M8, S5, Gear Fit+ 15 more http://gavinsgadgets.wordpress.com/review-links/

17 Smartphone Camera Shootout incl S5, M8, 1020, http://gavinsgadgets.wordpress.com/2...y-nokia-apple/

Official Samsung Wireless Cover review with Charging Pad http://gavinsgadgets.wordpress.com/2...-charging-pad/

Sine.
Old
Thanks Meter 406
The AT&T Note SGH-I717 got an "official" ICS leak, a 4.0.4 one, which also include a bootloader (build date : 8 May) : SGH-I717UCLE2 "Official" Leak
Some posts with screenshots :
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...3&postcount=60
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...9&postcount=70
The road to wisdom? Well, it's plain
and simple to express:
Err
and err
and err again,
but less
and less
and less.
— Piet Hein.