FORUMS

Android 5.1.1 Omni ROM For Motorola Xoom

Back in Feb 2011, the Motorola Xoom became the first device to be sold with Android 3.0 … more

CleanSlate Brings Fingerprint Scanner Mod to HTC One M9+

Work of XDA Recognized Developer tbalden, CleanSlate custom kernel for the HTC … more

Sunday Debate: Which Factors Caused HTC’s Woes?

Join us in a fun Sunday Debate on HTC’s situation. Come with your … more

HTC’s New Ad Campaign And What It Really Means

HTC has just released three new blind test adverts comparing app loading … more

Is this HTC Desire S legit?

9 posts
Thanks Meter: 0
 
By waterprism, Junior Member on 12th February 2012, 03:03 AM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
Hi,

New to HTC and Android, but just wanted to get your opinion on something.

I got an unlocked HTC Desire S from a Chinese (Hong Kong) supplier via a local middleman. It had all kinds of Chinese bloatware on it, and so I decided to flash a new rom. When I went into About phone > Phone identity to write everything down before flashing, I noticed it has a strange 'Device serial number' of 123456789012. That looks kind of strange. On the box sticker and on the sticker in the battery compartment of the phone, what I see is "S/N: SH1CATJxxxxx". Is there anything fishy going on there?

The default Android 2.3.3 OS seems all right. It has what looks like a default HTC startup splash screen (though I don't know if that makes a difference). I did notice that there wasn't a Power settings entry in settings to change fastboot. I had to pull out the battery to get to the boot screen. Don't know if that's a big deal either. I also noticed it was S-Off to begin with when I installed root.

Does this all seem strange, legit, clone-ish? Are there even Desire S clones/knock-offs/gray models/and the like out there? I don't think so... but still, that is a strange device serial number in the phone software, and even the printed serial numbers on the box and battery compartment seem strange, starting with SH instead of HT.

Would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.
Last edited by waterprism; 12th February 2012 at 03:14 AM.
 
 
12th February 2012, 04:06 AM |#2  
enigmaamit's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Purgatory, Hades Cluster
Thanks Meter: 1,471
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterprism

Hi,

New to HTC and Android, but just wanted to get your opinion on something.

I got an unlocked HTC Desire S from a Chinese (Hong Kong) supplier via a local middleman. It had all kinds of Chinese bloatware on it, and so I decided to flash a new rom. When I went into About phone > Phone identity to write everything down before flashing, I noticed it has a strange 'Device serial number' of 123456789012. That looks kind of strange. On the box sticker and on the sticker in the battery compartment of the phone, what I see is "S/N: SH1CATJxxxxx". Is there anything fishy going on there?

The default Android 2.3.3 OS seems all right. It has what looks like a default HTC startup splash screen (though I don't know if that makes a difference). I did notice that there wasn't a Power settings entry in settings to change fastboot. I had to pull out the battery to get to the boot screen. Don't know if that's a big deal either. I also noticed it was S-Off to begin with when I installed root.

Does this all seem strange, legit, clone-ish? Are there even Desire S clones/knock-offs/gray models/and the like out there? I don't think so... but still, that is a strange device serial number in the phone software, and even the printed serial numbers on the box and battery compartment seem strange, starting with SH instead of HT.

Would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.

Set up adb and type

adb devices

That'll give you your actual device number. No confusion then...

BTW even my device serial number starts with SH... that's not an indicator of a fake device. Check tour device serial number via adb and if it matches the one on the box... I guess you're good to go.

Beamed from the Dark Side using xda premium.
12th February 2012, 04:19 AM |#3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Through adb, it shows that same 123456789012 number.
12th February 2012, 05:24 AM |#4  
shrome99's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Chandigarh
Thanks Meter: 1,532
 
More
so, it's probably just dumb luck that the no. is so Nothing to worry about.
12th February 2012, 08:00 AM |#5  
enigmaamit's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Purgatory, Hades Cluster
Thanks Meter: 1,471
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrome99

so, it's probably just dumb luck that the no. is so Nothing to worry about.

Yup. Guess you're just plain lucky!! But then the box belongs to some other phone.how about some pics or screenshots??

Beamed from the Dark Side using xda premium.
12th February 2012, 08:06 AM |#6  
amidabuddha's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 2,449
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterprism

...starting with SH instead of HT...

There are different serials for different regions/brands. SH is ok, it is the same for North Africa

I am not aware of a method to change the serial number (never needed such) but I am sure that there is. So if your system is android and your device is solid and nice then this should be a Desire S
12th February 2012, 10:06 AM |#7  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Hi. Thanks, everyone.

@enigmaamit, I've posted a few pics and a screenshot. Not sure what kind of screenshot you need. Let me know if you need anything else. Thanks. Also not sure if these pics mean much if funny stuff is going on somewhere. The serial on the box clearly doesn't match the screenshot. And that seal was broken when I opened the package.

@amidabuddha, okay, thanks. But like I said above, and enigma said, the S/N on the box is one thing, the S/N the phone is printing out in the 'Phone identity' screen is totally different.

Appreciate your help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-02-12_11-20-49.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	898308   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0008.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	898309   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0010.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	898310  
12th February 2012, 10:19 AM |#8  
Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
More
That 'seal' doesn't look very authentic. There are grammatical mistakes too. And(I just noticed) it says 'SEALED PACKGE' instead of package so there's definitely something wrong.
I hope the phone is genuine.
Last edited by sukrit7; 12th February 2012 at 10:23 AM.
12th February 2012, 10:34 AM |#9  
shrome99's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Chandigarh
Thanks Meter: 1,532
 
More
The device is probably legit, just slightly used by someone else before. I think it's second hand, and the box belongs to another device.
12th February 2012, 10:40 AM |#10  
enigmaamit's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Purgatory, Hades Cluster
Thanks Meter: 1,471
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterprism

Hi. Thanks, everyone.

@enigmaamit, I've posted a few pics and a screenshot. Not sure what kind of screenshot you need. Let me know if you need anything else. Thanks. Also not sure if these pics mean much if funny stuff is going on somewhere. The serial on the box clearly doesn't match the screenshot. And that seal was broken when I opened the package.

@amidabuddha, okay, thanks. But like I said above, and enigma said, the S/N on the box is one thing, the S/N the phone is printing out in the 'Phone identity' screen is totally different.

Appreciate your help.

Looks legit to me. I wouldn't worry if it was my device.

Lol.... why don't you fool around and use the bar code scanner to scan the bar codes on the box and see where that leads you to!!

I'm starting to enjoy this Scotland yard stuff!!

Beamed from the Dark Side using xda premium.
The Following User Says Thank You to enigmaamit For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes