Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,846 Members 51,302 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Is this HTC Desire S legit?

Tip us?

waterprism
Old
(Last edited by waterprism; 12th February 2012 at 03:14 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Is this HTC Desire S legit?

Hi,

New to HTC and Android, but just wanted to get your opinion on something.

I got an unlocked HTC Desire S from a Chinese (Hong Kong) supplier via a local middleman. It had all kinds of Chinese bloatware on it, and so I decided to flash a new rom. When I went into About phone > Phone identity to write everything down before flashing, I noticed it has a strange 'Device serial number' of 123456789012. That looks kind of strange. On the box sticker and on the sticker in the battery compartment of the phone, what I see is "S/N: SH1CATJxxxxx". Is there anything fishy going on there?

The default Android 2.3.3 OS seems all right. It has what looks like a default HTC startup splash screen (though I don't know if that makes a difference). I did notice that there wasn't a Power settings entry in settings to change fastboot. I had to pull out the battery to get to the boot screen. Don't know if that's a big deal either. I also noticed it was S-Off to begin with when I installed root.

Does this all seem strange, legit, clone-ish? Are there even Desire S clones/knock-offs/gray models/and the like out there? I don't think so... but still, that is a strange device serial number in the phone software, and even the printed serial numbers on the box and battery compartment seem strange, starting with SH instead of HT.

Would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.

enigmaamit
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1427
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterprism View Post
Hi,

New to HTC and Android, but just wanted to get your opinion on something.

I got an unlocked HTC Desire S from a Chinese (Hong Kong) supplier via a local middleman. It had all kinds of Chinese bloatware on it, and so I decided to flash a new rom. When I went into About phone > Phone identity to write everything down before flashing, I noticed it has a strange 'Device serial number' of 123456789012. That looks kind of strange. On the box sticker and on the sticker in the battery compartment of the phone, what I see is "S/N: SH1CATJxxxxx". Is there anything fishy going on there?

The default Android 2.3.3 OS seems all right. It has what looks like a default HTC startup splash screen (though I don't know if that makes a difference). I did notice that there wasn't a Power settings entry in settings to change fastboot. I had to pull out the battery to get to the boot screen. Don't know if that's a big deal either. I also noticed it was S-Off to begin with when I installed root.

Does this all seem strange, legit, clone-ish? Are there even Desire S clones/knock-offs/gray models/and the like out there? I don't think so... but still, that is a strange device serial number in the phone software, and even the printed serial numbers on the box and battery compartment seem strange, starting with SH instead of HT.

Would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.
Set up adb and type

adb devices

That'll give you your actual device number. No confusion then...

BTW even my device serial number starts with SH... that's not an indicator of a fake device. Check tour device serial number via adb and if it matches the one on the box... I guess you're good to go.

Beamed from the Dark Side using xda premium.
Quote:
DEVICE 1 : SAMSUNG GALAXY NOTE 3 running Dr.Ketan's ROM K9 [4.4.2]

DEVICE 2 : SAMSUNG GALAXY SIII running AOKP ROM [4.4.3]

DEVICE 3 : HTC DESIRE S : S-Off, currently on Fallout ROM by Lowveld [4.03]

waterprism
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Through adb, it shows that same 123456789012 number.

shrome99
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1530
so, it's probably just dumb luck that the no. is so Nothing to worry about.

enigmaamit
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1427
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrome99 View Post
so, it's probably just dumb luck that the no. is so Nothing to worry about.
Yup. Guess you're just plain lucky!! But then the box belongs to some other phone.how about some pics or screenshots??

Quote:

amidabuddha
Old
Thanks Meter 2381
Quote:
...starting with SH instead of HT...
There are different serials for different regions/brands. SH is ok, it is the same for North Africa

I am not aware of a method to change the serial number (never needed such) but I am sure that there is. So if your system is android and your device is solid and nice then this should be a Desire S

waterprism
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Hi. Thanks, everyone.

@enigmaamit, I've posted a few pics and a screenshot. Not sure what kind of screenshot you need. Let me know if you need anything else. Thanks. Also not sure if these pics mean much if funny stuff is going on somewhere. The serial on the box clearly doesn't match the screenshot. And that seal was broken when I opened the package.

@amidabuddha, okay, thanks. But like I said above, and enigma said, the S/N on the box is one thing, the S/N the phone is printing out in the 'Phone identity' screen is totally different.

Appreciate your help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-02-12_11-20-49.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	898308   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0008.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	898309   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0010.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	898310  

sukrit7
Old
(Last edited by sukrit7; 12th February 2012 at 10:23 AM.)
Thanks Meter 2
That 'seal' doesn't look very authentic. There are grammatical mistakes too. And(I just noticed) it says 'SEALED PACKGE' instead of package so there's definitely something wrong.
I hope the phone is genuine.

shrome99
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1530
The device is probably legit, just slightly used by someone else before. I think it's second hand, and the box belongs to another device.

enigmaamit
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1427
Quote:
Hi. Thanks, everyone.

@enigmaamit, I've posted a few pics and a screenshot. Not sure what kind of screenshot you need. Let me know if you need anything else. Thanks. Also not sure if these pics mean much if funny stuff is going on somewhere. The serial on the box clearly doesn't match the screenshot. And that seal was broken when I opened the package.

@amidabuddha, okay, thanks. But like I said above, and enigma said, the S/N on the box is one thing, the S/N the phone is printing out in the 'Phone identity' screen is totally different.

Appreciate your help.
Looks legit to me. I wouldn't worry if it was my device.

Lol.... why don't you fool around and use the bar code scanner to scan the bar codes on the box and see where that leads you to!!

I'm starting to enjoy this Scotland yard stuff!!

Quote:

The Following User Says Thank You to enigmaamit For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]