Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,786,281 Members 51,615 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[MODEMS][CM7/MIUI/ICS]Nexus S Radios KB3 and KF1 for Captivate

Tip us?

pwneman
Old
(Last edited by pwneman; 13th April 2012 at 02:00 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 582

DONATE TO ME
Default [MODEMS][CM7/MIUI/ICS]Nexus S Radios KB3 and KF1 for Captivate

WOOT FRONT PAGE! http://www.xda-developers.com/androi...nexus-s-radio/

Alright, I just discovered something awesome.

So I found out that the Nexus S radios are indeed compatible with our device. I downloaded some of the hot radios for the Nexus S (KB3 and KF1) and opened them up and found that the Nexus S uses radios (similar to how the captivate uses modems). So I just renamed the radio.img from the Nexus S radios to modem.bin, placed it in an existing cm7 modem package and flashed it via CWM (ICS).

I reboot and get a constant 5 bars of signal. My signal hasn't dropped from this 5 bars of signal in the last 10 hours (usually it fluctuates from 5 to 3 bars). HSDPA speeds are pretty fast as well. I got speeds of 560 kb/s DL at 3 bars of signal and 140 kb/s Upload. I've never ever gotten that high speeds.

Moreover, the call quality is just amazing. When I used it, the quality is crisp and nice, almost perfect. It seems as if the voice is exemplified over the background crap so that you can actually hear the person. Idk, it was a magical experience for me :P.

Screenie:

The second row on that picture was the speeds I was getting with KF1 (Nexus S). Moreover, I noticed something interesting; that when I wasn't actually downloading or using data, the data indicator switched to "3G". However, when I started using my data, it automatically switched to "H". Something I thought was kinda cool.
Service Mode: *#*#197328640#*#* or *#*#0011#*#*

Anyways, here are the download links for the modems (already packaged with the nexus s radios of course). Just flash in CWM with a CM7, MIUI, or ICS Rom and you should be good to go. IMPORTANT: DONT FLASH THIS WHILE PLUGGED IN. YOU WILL NOT GET SIGNAL
If having problems, try wiping cache before flashing the modem!

Original Nexus S Radio Link

I9020a KF1 Radio<----What I use
Mirror KF1

I9020a KJ1 Radio (Latest)

I9020 XXKB3 Radio
Mirror KB3
SimplyAOKP ICS 4.0.4 ~ ODEXED

SimplyStockV2.0 KK4/ICS THEMED ODEXED ~ SAMMY STABLE 2.3.5

Nexus S Modems for Galaxy S Devices

Current Phone: AT&T iPhone 5 (rip Android)

Previous Phone/s:
Samsung Impression
Samsung Galaxy S Captivate

~Rakesh Kadamati
The Following 32 Users Say Thank You to pwneman For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

raenye
Old
Thanks Meter 35
Thanks for sharing.

How long are you running this? any effect on battery life?
Do these modems play well with Samsung-based (i897/i9000) roms? can they do the 850 band?

kevinnol
Old
Thanks Meter 41
Works this only on ICS roms or on any CM rom ?

godden
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by raenye View Post
Thanks for sharing.

How long are you running this? any effect on battery life?
Do these modems play well with Samsung-based (i897/i9000) roms? can they do the 850 band?
Just tried to run with i9000 mosaic 9 just to check. wouldn't even install.guess it's time to upgrade

Sent from my GT-I9000 using xda premium

XBrav
Old
Thanks Meter 11
WOW awesome.

i896 on Rogers with SGSICS works amazingly. Not sure if I'm using 850 or 1900 though, sorry :S

mikel.canovas
Old
Thanks Meter 187

DONATE TO ME
Hm. Very interesting. Downloading now. Will report on how it goes

Sent from my SGH-I897 using XDA App
AT&T HTC One X -- LiquidSmooth
===
Google Nexus 7 - Paranoid Android w/ M-kernel
===
Samsung Captivate [SOLD]
<Free 250 mb for Dropbox>

shadvich
Old
Thanks Meter 13
850 band doesn't seem to be working with KF1 even after the dance (JK4 --> JPG --> KF1)

vcallas
Old
Thanks Meter 37

I tried the KB3 modem first and would not connect at all am on Rogers using THS build 16. Then tried the KF1 Modem and the Download speeds were fantastic but the Uploads speeds were terrible. The GPS was also good using KF1. I then went back to KP1 and though my Download speeds are not as fast as KF1 my upload on KP1 is amazing. KP1 also gives me very good GPS. In the picture the top to results are from KP1 and the next to were from KF1.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2012-02-12-09-17-45.jpg
Views:	2430
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	898758  

johnyhoffman
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcallas View Post

I tried the KB3 modem first and would not connect at all am on Rogers using THS build 16. Then tried the KF1 Modem and the Download speeds were fantastic but the Uploads speeds were terrible. The GPS was also good using KF1. I then went back to KP1 and though my Download speeds are not as fast as KF1 my upload on KP1 is amazing. KP1 also gives me very good GPS. In the picture the top to results are from KP1 and the next to were from KF1.
Mind posting a link to a flashable package for KP1? Thank You.

vcallas
Old
Thanks Meter 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnyhoffman View Post
Mind posting a link to a flashable package for KP1? Thank You.
Usually get all my modems from this site http://soggycashew.weebly.com/cm7miui--ics-modems.html The site also has a great map that people can post how different modems work in their area.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vcallas For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]