Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,777 Members 41,187 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Problems with ext3 partion on sd card (doesn't work)

Tip us?

Milestone...
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Exclamation Problems with ext3 partion on sd card (doesn't work)

I used the MiniTool Partition Wizard H.E. to partition my sd card. My sd card is 4GB, I resized it into 2965MB so my internal memory free space is 1GB. When I flashed ICS (4.0.3) from kabalban I download 5 apps (not games) and it ate all of my free space in my phone (internal memory 198MB, free space 21MB -_-)

Please help thank you!

-Moto Milestone A853

Itsukki
Old
(Last edited by Itsukki; 12th February 2012 at 06:11 PM.)
Thanks Meter 31
I have an ext3 of 512MB and it works just fine, I don't tried installing applications on the ICS ROM but it recognized those I installed on the CM 7.1.5...

Oh, and I used Gparted, you can also try using S2E to move the applications, its on the market ...
The Following User Says Thank You to Itsukki For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

LuigiC6
Old
Thanks Meter 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milestone... View Post
I used the MiniTool Partition Wizard H.E. to partition my sd card. My sd card is 4GB, I resized it into 2965MB so my internal memory free space is 1GB. When I flashed ICS (4.0.3) from kabalban I download 5 apps (not games) and it ate all of my free space in my phone (internal memory 198MB, free space 21MB -_-)

Please help thank you!

-Moto Milestone A853
How big is your ext3 partition? As I recall, it will only work if it is less than 1Gb. Anything more is excessive, unnecessary, and non-functional :P
Samsung Galaxy S4
CM11 Nightlies

Asus Google Nexus 7
Stock 4.4.4

Telus Motorola Milestone
Kabaldan CM7.2.4f w/ 2ndBoot

s0ulreaver
Old
Thanks Meter 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuigiC6 View Post
How big is your ext3 partition? As I recall, it will only work if it is less than 1Gb. Anything more is excessive, unnecessary, and non-functional :P
On a 16GB SD card I have a 2 GB EXT3 partition and it works just fine.
I used GPartEd to partition the card.
So I think he should try GPartEd, make sure the EXT3 partition is the 2nd one and if there are still problems try a different SD card.
Samsung Galaxy S4 running GoldenEye
HTC Desire HD running Musta's CM11 nightlies
SlimBean'ed my Google Nexus 7
The Following User Says Thank You to s0ulreaver For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

thre3aces
Old
Thanks Meter 86

DONATE TO ME
You were in the same situation I was in when I had the milestone. Here is the answer.

Unlike phones like the HTC Desire the milestone does not support a2ext. Therefore. Your internal storage will always be very low. However apps that are big will automatically be moved into the ext partition so you don't actually have to worry about running out of space

Sent from my mythical enchanted asynchronous 3VO
If I helped you on the street you would say thanks.DO THE SAME ON XDA
Devices History
LG COOKIE(SOLD FOR A TENNER)-->Nokia N95(SOLD)-->T-mobile G1(SOLD)-->HTC Hero(SOLD)-->Blackberry Curve 8520(Swapped for storm)-->Blackberry Storm 1 (horrid choice,SOLD)-->Motorola Defy(Bricked,got a refund)-->Motorola Milestone(Recycled for 70)-->Evo 3D
The Following User Says Thank You to thre3aces For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Eiertschik
Old
Thanks Meter 67
There are flashable script which make the Milestone display internal memory of up to 1GB - but they are not compatible with CM

BooZon
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Creating an ext partition is much easier. I've got a ~520MB ext part. on HO!NO! mod an for me it is fine

Tapatalked from MotoStone a'ka MileStone