XDA and Leaseweb: Server Trial/Moto 360 Contest (Winners!)

About a month ago, we held a contest along with XDA’s host, Leaseweb, to … more

Updated Android Lollipop Preview Images – XDA TV

The Android Lollipop Preview Images are now available! That and much more news is … more

Get a Complete Set of Logs with Andy Log

The importance of proper logging is undeniable. No, we’re not talking about lumberjack work. … more

Try Some Android Lollipop Applications on Your Device

Android 5.0 Lollipop has been officially announced and lucky users of Google Nexus 5 … more

Battery charging cycle

OP drupad2drupad

12th February 2012, 09:24 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 627

1,598 posts
Donate to Me
More
I've had my Titan for nearly 5 months now. I am hoping Titan's battery isn't that crap as I think. However, since last 1 week what I've seen is my LED goes green to indicate that my phone is charged. It shows 100% in battery saver menu. However, if I restart my phone while it's plugged in the charger even after green LED, then after the reboot my battery is down to 89-91% mark. Either the battery calibration has gone wonky or the LED doesn't recognise the real battery levels.

It would really help if anyone who charges their phone during the coming week, could restart their phone while plugged in as soon as you see green LED and then see if anything changes in your battery stats?

I've noticed my phone does last an hour or two longer if I charge after this reboot till it's 100%. It could well be a placebo effect for me. But might help if others see the same too.
13th February 2012, 02:55 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 72

666 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drupad2drupad

I've had my Titan for nearly 5 months now. I am hoping Titan's battery isn't that crap as I think. However, since last 1 week what I've seen is my LED goes green to indicate that my phone is charged. It shows 100% in battery saver menu. However, if I restart my phone while it's plugged in the charger even after green LED, then after the reboot my battery is down to 89-91% mark. Either the battery calibration has gone wonky or the LED doesn't recognise the real battery levels.

It would really help if anyone who charges their phone during the coming week, could restart their phone while plugged in as soon as you see green LED and then see if anything changes in your battery stats?

I've noticed my phone does last an hour or two longer if I charge after this reboot till it's 100%. It could well be a placebo effect for me. But might help if others see the same too.

The calibration is a little wacked. Here is my example - i charge it for 5 hours and it says 100%... but it only lasts about 7 hours and i can tell throughout the day that it drains faster. If i charge it for 8 i get closer to 13 with heavy web and game use. At 5 hours it turns green also ... but it seems as though it still charges more when left plugged in longer.

Some apps also like wp7 news clips off about 1 to 2 percent battery everytime i run them. (it brings in feeds from 20 different websites (estimate, i didn't count) so it's worth it but i check it a lot.
14th February 2012, 08:15 PM   |  #3  
Flag Dublin
Thanks Meter: 31

861 posts
More
Could be wrong but as far as im aware that over charge protection. Your phone shouldnt really be charged 100%. 90-95% should be the sweet spot. Generally when i first noticed that i used to restart the phone and charge it to 100% but my battery life actually got less than just letting the phone decide when its enough
16th February 2012, 03:34 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 56

418 posts
More
My titan has recently been getting more and more life from the battery; upwards of two days. I turned off wifi and I got 4 days 4 hours, died just some hours ago (I don't game much, but I do listen to music).

I've been getting into the habit of charging it when it gets below 5%, not every night like I used to. So it'll be 30% at night sometimes, and it'll last me another day with light/average usage (as opposed to my previous mindset where anything below 50% is a no go).
17th February 2012, 08:59 AM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 627

1,598 posts
Donate to Me
More
It might not work to leave till last 5% especially for someone like me who travels a lot. Don't you fear at times that your phone might faint when you really want to use it? As soon as my phone goes in battery saver mode I plug it in. Maybe that 90% limit as a reason. Over riding it helped me but if I did not over ride the following cycle then my battery performance seemed awful! Very strange working indeed.

Sent from my TITAN X310e using Board Express Pro
17th February 2012, 10:59 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 56

418 posts
More
If I plan on using it AND I know I'm going out where there is potentially no USB to charge with, I bring my portable USB battey charger and/or one of my other phones. However, I don't mind not having a phone with me at all times, so if it dies, it dies. Still, I just got it to last 4 days, so if you don't watch videos or play games frequently, charging every three days is unheard of for a smartphone!

The battery's health relies on charging it properly, and I value keeping this up over having it charged when convenient for me. Battery saver kicks in at 20% I think, and with battery saver, you'll get almost another day with light usage, so charging when battery saver turns on is probably really hurting your battery.

I generally unplug my phone when I notice the LED turns green (even if I'm going to bed for the night I'll unplug it). I have never had such amazing battery life with any other phone, but I also have never taken such lengths to improve battery life either.
19th February 2012, 03:40 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 76

595 posts
Why don't you pick up a brand new HTC Evo 3D battery off eBay or something and use that? Its a 1730mAh battery compared to Titans 1600mAh and works fine in the Titan.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium
19th February 2012, 03:16 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 1

32 posts
Deep discharging a Li-Ion is worse for it than frequent charging. Temperature also is very important and I haven't noticed the battery get hot when sitting on the charger after the light turns green.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread