OP Senior Member
Flag Guayaquil
Thanks Meter: 1,318

2,518 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash613

got it, and thanks. Did read the tutorials... almost all of them. Had to go to google to figure out CWM. I thought that when i transfered your file to the card that CWM would automatically start or something..... it didn't.

Once I figured out how to get that on a card, added your file, and i am good to go now.

Love it very much, thank you for taking the time to do this, and being so helpful in this forum (which I read almost all the way through!)

I did have a couple of odds and ends questions regarding the new setup.

1. go launcher ex and go locker are options when you hit the "N" button. But both seem to do the same thing. is this normal?

2. The other third party launcher, i forget the name, just brings up an overlay. I got rid of it. Even that took some doing. This is my first foray into an Android environment, but the little pullout from the right and side remains. Can i get rid of this some how?

3. I made go launcher ex the default. Go locker is still in the apps section. should i delete it like i did the other third party app (task xp?, i believe)

4. I never did figure out how to backup using titanium, as i had no way to install it. was there a way from a un rooted 1.4 state?

5. I have a few apk files that i had side loaded before the update screwed that up for me. can those be added too? I am sure they can, just not sure how to go about it. I looked briefly on line, but by that time i was burned out from messing with this thing.

6. when i set it up, i entered my gmail info because i needed to put apps on it. This is my daughter's nook. I figured i would change the account info later. Now it will not let me. when i go to the hidden settings app and try to unlink it says it is needed for some apps and i need to delete the account from the privacy settings in the settings app. There is no privacy settings that i can find in the settings app

anyway, thank you for the help!

~mike

1. Go Launcher and Go locker have different functions, the first one is a launcher and the second one is a custom locker app which only works with Go Launcher.

2. I don't know what you are referring about in this one, if you could post a screenshot (N + Volume Down) i could tell.

3. As i mentioned before the Go locker is a custom locker app if you don't want it then remove it but if you want a custom locker to play with then you need to configure it to work with Go launcher i think. TaskXP is useful to access the latest used app and more quickly.

4. Titanium backup requires root to work

5. Put the apk's withing a folder in your sdcard (e.g: downloads) then use a file explorer to navigate to /sdcard/downloads and tap on each of the apps you copied to install them.

6. There is quick trick for this one. Replace the framework-res.apk from /system/framework/framework-res.apk. You can do it by using adb tool or replacing manually using root explorer preferably (because of the change owner settings), i highly recommend you setup adb (you never know when you're going to need it) is a must have for unbrick your device too.
If you read my FAQ you will know where to look for set up ADB.

a. Open NT Hidden settings and tap on the ADB hack, that will let you use "adb remount" command which mounts partitions from "ro" to "rw" like /system in order to push files over
b. Unzip the stock rom .zip in your PC, navigate to system/framework/ folder and copy framework-res.apk to C:\ntroot folder (where adb tools should be) then plug your device to PC, open command line (CMD) on windows and run:

> adb devices
> adb remount
> adb push framework-res.apk /system/framework
> adb reboot

Once your device reboot all the accounts set up previously will be gone and you will be able to add your daughter's google account first, then you can add yours if you want to. Second google account can be removed easily, primary not.

~ Veronica
Last edited by lavero.burgos; 25th April 2012 at 02:17 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to lavero.burgos For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th April 2012, 04:28 PM   |  #122  
Thanks Meter: 0

6 posts
No access to non-Nook items
I am having an odd issue - long story short, I am very familiar with rooting devices (mainly Android phones, Samsung/Lenovo tablets, etc.), but do not personally own a Nook. My sister does, a few months ago I rooted her new Christmas present with NT_stock_1.4.0_Ribbon_Root_B&N_v2, and she loves it.
Flash forward to last night - her daughter said she saw an icon with a leaf on it, and she pushed it. Now it looks just like a stock Nook, have no access to homescreens she had set up or any of the settings that used to be there. At the bottom some of the ribbon notifications (Wifi ADB inactive, Tap to Launch TaskXP, SD Card Inserted), but I can't figure out how to get back to the original setup. Any help would be great - I am just not as familiar with the Nook as I am the other devices.
27th April 2012, 08:24 PM   |  #123  
OP Senior Member
Flag Guayaquil

2,518 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickythumbs

I am having an odd issue - long story short, I am very familiar with rooting devices (mainly Android phones, Samsung/Lenovo tablets, etc.), but do not personally own a Nook. My sister does, a few months ago I rooted her new Christmas present with NT_stock_1.4.0_Ribbon_Root_B&N_v2, and she loves it.
Flash forward to last night - her daughter said she saw an icon with a leaf on it, and she pushed it. Now it looks just like a stock Nook, have no access to homescreens she had set up or any of the settings that used to be there. At the bottom some of the ribbon notifications (Wifi ADB inactive, Tap to Launch TaskXP, SD Card Inserted), but I can't figure out how to get back to the original setup. Any help would be great - I am just not as familiar with the Nook as I am the other devices.

Ok i think what she got is the OTA update, you could verify that in settings >> About your NOOK >> software version. If it shows 1.4.2 then she got the update and that means she did not block OTA before or someone changed some settings, if it shows 9.9.9 then heck! the B&N guys found a way to penetrate the OTA block.

First she needs to verify that her apps are there, even if she cant use them. If so then go back to cwm and wipe cache then go to advanced> wipe dalvik cache, then reflash then rom or wait until i upload 1.4.2 (i've been busy). Do not wipe data /factory reset so she hopefully gets all her data working. If not working properly then she must do a wipe data/factory reset and start from scratch. NEXT TIME once she finish setting up her Nook, go to cwm and make a backup - Rule of Gold!

If she does not use B&N services the best would be to bypass registration.

~ Veronica
Last edited by lavero.burgos; 27th April 2012 at 08:27 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to lavero.burgos For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th April 2012, 09:44 PM   |  #124  

6 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavero.burgos

Ok i think what she got is the OTA update, you could verify that in settings >> About your NOOK >> software version. If it shows 1.4.2 then she got the update and that means she did not block OTA before or someone changed some settings, if it shows 9.9.9 then heck! the B&N guys found a way to penetrate the OTA block.

First she needs to verify that her apps are there, even if she cant use them. If so then go back to cwm and wipe cache then go to advanced> wipe dalvik cache, then reflash then rom or wait until i upload 1.4.2 (i've been busy). Do not wipe data /factory reset so she hopefully gets all her data working. If not working properly then she must do a wipe data/factory reset and start from scratch. NEXT TIME once she finish setting up her Nook, go to cwm and make a backup - Rule of Gold!

If she does not use B&N services the best would be to bypass registration.

~ Veronica

The software version is "1.0.0". Also, I cannot get into CWM (maybe I am doing it wrong - hold power+Nook button while powering on?). Thank you for the help. Should I just re-install CWM and start from scratch?
28th April 2012, 09:44 PM   |  #125  
Thanks Meter: 26

174 posts
Ok.. Almost everything is working fine. I am having one problem though.

I have legit books and magazines that were paid for using my nook account and are linked with my device.

After doing the update. I did the registration. I can now open my library using the Library app. after syncing all the books and magazines now appear in the library.

The problem is that now some of them will not open. There are 2 seperate issues, it seems.

1. When attempting to open certain magainzes is says :Sorry, this content is currently not supported on this NOOK> Visit nook.com/tablet/support for...

looked there.. no help. Wondering if because my Version number says 1.0.0 on the about page. Any thoughts?

2. When attempting to open certain books i get a pop up that says "Unlock your eBook.. "
it wants me to enter the full name on CC used to make purchase. Other books, purchased on the same account, open fine.

Entering the CC info does not help.

I do not know if a rooted 1.4 would fix problem. any ideas? thanks.
1st May 2012, 07:23 AM   |  #126  
Flag Long Island, New York
Thanks Meter: 10

306 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash613

my Version number says 1.0.0 on the about page

I was wondering about this as well.

I use Aldiko to read my books, BUT- I was unable to open the Nook viewer, all I got was a white screen. Later, I open the BN Shop app and DL'd a preview which opened right up in the reader (Nook Viewer.) Later I go back and open the viewer and I get white screen again.

Is there a log that may provide some insight to this issue?
1st May 2012, 07:53 AM   |  #127  
Thanks Meter: 26

174 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfg69

I was wondering about this as well.

I use Aldiko to read my books, BUT- I was unable to open the Nook viewer, all I got was a white screen. Later, I open the BN Shop app and DL'd a preview which opened right up in the reader (Nook Viewer.) Later I go back and open the viewer and I get white screen again.

Is there a log that may provide some insight to this issue?

most of the books work fine. there a just a few that won't. I tried to figure out why, but i cannot find a pattern. There are approx 20 magazines associated with the account and only about 6 of them work.

Books fare better, almost all of them work, but i do not know what makes the ones that will not open any different.

The magazines can be attributed to being that newer "enhanced" format, perhaps? Either way, i hope a workaround surfaces, my daughter actually uses her nook to primarily read, but loves the benefits of the root. (android store, games not avaliable on the nook store, etc)
1st May 2012, 06:38 PM   |  #128  
OP Senior Member
Flag Guayaquil

2,518 posts
Donate to Me
More
test test test
UPDATE!
WARNING: Test version
FLASH IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING
NEED FEEDBACK FROM 8GB USERS TO KNOW THIS IS WORKING FOR THEM AS I HAVE 16GB NOOK TABLET. THANKS!

8GB/16gb B&N Stock 1.4.2 modified ROM

This ROM is an update to this thread and it has everything as the 1.4.0 ROM except for the wifi fix (It's not ready yet). Yes it has the B&N apps and is ready for registration.

DOWNLOAD LINK:

NT_stock_1.4.2_Ribbon_Root_B&N.zip - md5: 0eb7a1dff67c5fe58be4c58b13f9abb2

... I'm not going to upload to mediafire or any other because the file is above 300MB, but if you have a server or can upload it to a better one then go ahead, PM me the link so i post it.

INSTRUCTIONS:

* 8GB users use this CWM (booting from sdcard) to flash the ROM
* Boot into CWM, do the wipes before and after flash the ROM - If upgrading from stock then don't wipe data/factory reset but if you have issues with apps then do so.
* Go to Install zip from sdcard >> choose zip from internal sdcard (if you copied the folder to your Internal sdcard [MyNOOK]) >> select NT_stock_1.4.2_Ribbon_Root_B&N.zip

~ Veronica
Last edited by lavero.burgos; 10th May 2012 at 06:29 PM.
2nd May 2012, 02:02 AM   |  #129  

6 posts
Thank you! I will check this out tonight if I can!
3rd May 2012, 12:48 AM   |  #130  
Flag Addison, il
Thanks Meter: 137

620 posts
More
I tried to install this over your old version and am getting boot loops what is the am I doing wrong?

Sent via semaphore...

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
1.4.0, nook tablet, ribbon, rom, stock
Previous Thread Next Thread