[ISSUE] TouchPad Android Wifi Issue Thread

OP bobtidey

20th February 2012, 10:08 PM   |  #21  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 107

257 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahauss

Has there Ben any fix for the wifi issue? I'm almost ready to ditch Android on the tp and get a real tablet.

Which ROMs have you been using?

Several with wifi issues get some relief in one of two ways.

If you have control over router settings, say in a home environment, then it seems to perform better if you can change router channel to a low number (e.g. 1), avoid dual band operation, and use wpa rather than wpa2.

In addition, and if you can't change router settings because the AP is not under your control, then the Cherry Kang CM9 build 0.4.8a incorporates an intermediate wifi fix which seems to perform much better than the standard.

There does also seem to be a better fix in the works but it hasn't been released yet, so I wouldn't give up hope of getting stable wifi on the TP.
21st February 2012, 11:04 PM   |  #22  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 107

257 posts
I thought I'd try out CM9 Alpha 1 with the HD video acceleration but not really anticipating any change for wifi as I didn't see any mention of that.

So far it is giving me good wifi connectivity on my problematic work network, at least as good as the wifi fix that was in Cherry and maybe better. I don't know whether it incorporates just the new wifi board driver or whether anything else has changed in that area.
22nd February 2012, 03:48 PM   |  #23  
Flag Atlanta
Thanks Meter: 119

657 posts
More
Is it Youtube? My Access point? or could it be I'm being throttled by my ISP?
I'm using Alpha 2 ICS as of this morning.
I have Wireless N w/WPA2 set on my router.

My problem with Wifi has been the same with every flash since Alpha 1

I can connect easily regardless of the access point and it won't drop at all.
The issue for me is my main access point in my home and particularly while being on said access point and trying to stream a video on youtube. It takes a very long time for the video to buffer.. and even when it does buffer a few seconds of content it takes a long time for rest of the stream to follow.

Now if I were to connect my Touchpad to either my Google Nexus One or my TMO LG G2x via Tether (Using 4G Data from my Carrier) .. The video stream from Youtube is nearly unterupted.. (which is good right?)

So I'm guessing the problem is not ROM or the Device but maybe its my main access point..

I read somewhere on these threads (Or on RW, TR, CM.. Can't remember exactly where) that I should have the Radio Band set to Standard 20Mhz Channel and the Standard Channel set to Channel 1 @ 2.412GHZ which is what it is currently set to.

Every other connection (Browser, Google Music, Etc Etc..) seems to flow nicely with the exception of Youtube.

So am I going nuts here or am I right to think that maybe my ISP is throttling me?

I'm suggesting the Throttle because this month I streamed pretty much the entire 2 seasons of Battlestar Galactica via Netflix in one weekend.. (Nerdy.. I know.. )

EDIT: First I want to apologize, I'm fighting off the flu bug and my brain isn't firing on all 8's currently.
I realized that I should try to stream Youtube Video on my other devices using my Wi-fi access point.
And they are streaming good, so perhaps my problem isn't anything I mentioned above but it's actually the Youtube app on my TP combined with my access point at home because every other device does stream normally.

Sorry..
Last edited by tekrhino; 22nd February 2012 at 04:08 PM.
22nd February 2012, 04:54 PM   |  #24  
Flag Edmonton
Thanks Meter: 5

27 posts
More
Maybe the streaming performance can be improved by tweaking some of the buffer size settings.

Try adding this to the build.prop

Code:
net.tcp.buffersize.wifi=4096,87380,256960,4096,16384,256960
22nd February 2012, 06:37 PM   |  #25  
Thanks Meter: 21

173 posts
I know Ii posted about my wi-fi issue before, but it has gotten totally out of control.

The worst part is that I can't come up with a reasonable explanation...

Using xron, it was solid for weeks. Then a week. then a couple days, then a day. Last night, I could only watch about 10 minutes of netflix, then it would drop. turn wifi off/on, it would get an address, work for about another 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, every other wifi device in the house is working just fine.

I could understand it if it was consistent, but this "degradation", w/o changing wls settings, or updating software is the part that puzzles me.

Anyway, nothing useful to contribute, just waiting patiently.

As soon as netflix works on ICS, I'm there.
22nd February 2012, 07:50 PM   |  #26  
Thanks Meter: 89

194 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekrhino

I'm using Alpha 2 ICS as of this morning.
I have Wireless N w/WPA2 set on my router.

My problem with Wifi has been the same with every flash since Alpha 1

I can connect easily regardless of the access point and it won't drop at all.
The issue for me is my main access point in my home and particularly while being on said access point and trying to stream a video on youtube. It takes a very long time for the video to buffer.. and even when it does buffer a few seconds of content it takes a long time for rest of the stream to follow.

Now if I were to connect my Touchpad to either my Google Nexus One or my TMO LG G2x via Tether (Using 4G Data from my Carrier) .. The video stream from Youtube is nearly unterupted.. (which is good right?)

So I'm guessing the problem is not ROM or the Device but maybe its my main access point..

I read somewhere on these threads (Or on RW, TR, CM.. Can't remember exactly where) that I should have the Radio Band set to Standard 20Mhz Channel and the Standard Channel set to Channel 1 @ 2.412GHZ which is what it is currently set to.

Every other connection (Browser, Google Music, Etc Etc..) seems to flow nicely with the exception of Youtube.

So am I going nuts here or am I right to think that maybe my ISP is throttling me?

I'm suggesting the Throttle because this month I streamed pretty much the entire 2 seasons of Battlestar Galactica via Netflix in one weekend.. (Nerdy.. I know.. )

EDIT: First I want to apologize, I'm fighting off the flu bug and my brain isn't firing on all 8's currently.
I realized that I should try to stream Youtube Video on my other devices using my Wi-fi access point.
And they are streaming good, so perhaps my problem isn't anything I mentioned above but it's actually the Youtube app on my TP combined with my access point at home because every other device does stream normally.

Sorry..

I had this problem last night. HD worked fine, once it buffered. I went into the YouTube app and cleared cache and data, closed any browser applications I wasn't using and restarted YouTube. It seemed to work better and after a few videos the buffering was back up to speed.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App
The Following User Says Thank You to bstevens23 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd February 2012, 08:21 PM   |  #27  
Flag Edmonton

27 posts
More
Have you tried setting a static ip address?

I was suffering from a similar problem, my wifi wouldn't stay connected -- or it would show as connected and simply lose throughput.

I messed with all sorts of settings, and it never occurred to me to try a static ip.

So I let my touchpad connect to the wifi at my work, went into wifi settings, held my finger down on the work access point, selected modify, then chose static ip. I left the settings that dhcp assigned and just hit ok. I have had a solid connection for about 5 hours now.

I would imagine that if you were doing this on your home router you would want to assign an ip address outside your networks range or towards the end of it to avoid ip address conflicts. e.g. if your router's dhcp range is 192.168.1.100 - 192.168.1.150, pick a static ip 192.168.1.50 or closer to 150 depending on how many devices connect to your network.
24th February 2012, 04:48 PM   |  #28  
Flag Atlanta
Thanks Meter: 119

657 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubicsilver

Maybe the streaming performance can be improved by tweaking some of the buffer size settings.

Code:

is there a particular line on the Build.prop file where this new line would be inserted?

I'm asking because there is no such line on my build.prop

I'm running alpha 2

24th February 2012, 06:32 PM   |  #29  
Flag Edmonton

27 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekrhino

is there a particular line on the Build.prop file where this new line would be inserted?

I'm asking because there is no such line on my build.prop

I'm running alpha 2

It doesn't matter where you put it really. I have been using the build.prop editor app, and it seems to drop it at the bottom.
24th February 2012, 07:37 PM   |  #30  
Flag Atlanta, GA
Thanks Meter: 49

715 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahauss

Has there Ben any fix for the wifi issue? I'm almost ready to ditch Android on the tp and get a real tablet.

Yep, I'm about ready to just sale mine...especially since this appears to be hit or miss between TP owners (not ROM specific, per my experiences).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubicsilver

Code:

Has this been working better for you?
Last edited by Neejay; 24th February 2012 at 07:50 PM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
touchpad, wifi
Previous Thread Next Thread