5,599,033 Members 31,688 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] HELP! Photon wont boot! (Stuck at red M)

Tip us?

MooseV2
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Exclamation [Q] HELP! Photon wont boot! (Stuck at red M)

So yesterday I was in a call with low battery when it shut off. Normally not a problem, just plug it into the wall for a while. Well when I tried to turn it on, it wouldn't even boot up. It was stuck at the red M logo. The LED showed amber colored as well. I left it plugged in and the light remained amber until 90% battery, where it turned green.

I tried to turn it on and its been stuck on the red M logo. Its been stuck for more than 12 hours now.

I CAN access fastboot, android recovery, etc. I already tried wiping the cache and even did a factory reset. Still wont work.

What can I possibly do? I luckily have a backup phone, but I've had my photon for less than a month, no warranty, and I'm a novice Android user. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

jmorse
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseV2 View Post
So yesterday I was in a call with low battery when it shut off. Normally not a problem, just plug it into the wall for a while. Well when I tried to turn it on, it wouldn't even boot up. It was stuck at the red M logo. The LED showed amber colored as well. I left it plugged in and the light remained amber until 90% battery, where it turned green.

I tried to turn it on and its been stuck on the red M logo. Its been stuck for more than 12 hours now.

I CAN access fastboot, android recovery, etc. I already tried wiping the cache and even did a factory reset. Still wont work.

What can I possibly do? I luckily have a backup phone, but I've had my photon for less than a month, no warranty, and I'm a novice Android user. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1393519

Click on the software and tools link and use rsd lite to reflash the stock os onto the phone. If that doesn't work I would take it to the sprint store.
The Following User Says Thank You to jmorse For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jbb2388
Old
Thanks Meter 10
I assume you tried pulling the battery?

MooseV2
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
I'm downloading SBF now. Hopefully it works, because I live in Canada and we don't have Sprint stores.

And YES, I tried pulling the battery. Multiple times. With every combination (eg, plug in, turn on, then insert battery; put in battery, turn on, then plug in, etc)

photon_man
Old
Thanks Meter 1
the sbf should work but may i ask how you managed to brick your photon? when i just got mine i did everything wrong and i never got even a soft brick so i'm interested what i didn't mess up haha
sent from my ICS MB855

MooseV2
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Quick question: I should be downloading the most recent? Will it make a difference?

And damn, did I actually brick it?? I'm pretty new to this thing, this is my first Android and I've had it for less than a month...

And nothing should have triggered it. I added another line in build (ro.media.setting.1080p or something) and I added another setting in /system/etc/mediaprofiles.xml. I was trying to add 1080p to the camera (unsuccessfully). I didn't remove anything, and even after a reboot it was fine.

It wasn't until the battery died, where it stopped booting up. Just my luck :/

w0lf215
Old
Thanks Meter 121
You should probably choose one of the newer ones, just becasue of bug fixes, etc. If you happen to know what version you were running before then I'd choose that. I cant stress enough, make sure the one you download is for the Photon and NOT Electrify! And technically yeah that is a brick lol but its extremely hard to legit brick beyond repair a photon due to the fact that we have RSD Lite and SBF files to bring it back.
The Following User Says Thank You to w0lf215 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

MooseV2
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Strangely, I found a thread depicting the same problem that I had, although with the electrify. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=14813

Anyways, the problem is fixed, by reflashing the SBF using RSD Lite, everything is back to normal! Well, almost, just have to restore my backup

Thanks so much for your help guys, I wouldn't have been able to fix it without you all!

6thSense
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Question can you fix a bricked phone??

My Photon has done the same thing! I rooted her and did the Bootstrap Recovery thing. Everything was kosher until I tried to load that stupid Beats Audio. Something happened between me flashing it and the reboot where it locks the phone. I tried to do the Android recovery screen, I wiped, I did about everything I could find. No bueno.

I followed this forum and clicked the software and tools link as instructed. I tried with RSD 5.6, and tried several iterations of SBF's located here and here. I was using SBF - 1FF-sunfire-user-2.3.4-4.5.1A-1_SUN-154_MR-3-CM.

It lets me go into boot mode, and when I try to flash the SBF it appears to go through, but it always fails at the end. Which, the posts state it will do, but my phone will not reboot afterwords. After trying everything I could for a couple days, I decided to just take it to a Sprint store. Mind you I've had this under 30 days, but longer than 14 so they stated it would have to be replaced. They tried to flash, but said they were getting stuck too.

I know that a replacement is pretty much the answer, but just wanted to check one more time to see if anyone had any other ideas, or could point me to other forums maybe? Appears I've done what few have been able to accomplish...brick this joker.