Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,786,517 Members 37,011 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Screen burn-in?

Tip us?

PsyOr
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 49
Question [Q] Screen burn-in?

I'v noticed a burn in signs somewhere in the middle of the screen (later I'll take a photo), its looks like a little shadow, darker...
Seen it only when I used RGB screens...

There is something to do (without replacing the screen)?
I'v heard about 2 options, donno how much its safe or will effect:
1. Using Jscreenfix - most for stuck pixels (its not the situation) but maybe it will do something after running few hours
2. Use blank white screen for few hours while the phone is on.
some says with full brightness, some says with low brightness, some says it will burn in the screen and will cause more damage....

Do you have any experiance with these 'methods' or any other tips to get it fix or halfix?

Thanks!

jrebo
Old
Thanks Meter 112
Are you using a non-oem battery? I order one from eBay (yes, I know ugh) and it was a snug fit and caused dark spots on the screen from the pressure.

KSmithInNY
Old
Thanks Meter 66

DONATE TO ME
Mine has a dark spot too, right in the middle of the screen. Looks almost like a shadow. I noticed it the first day I purchased the phone, within 2 minutes of first turning it on so its not burn-in. Its more noticeable for me on white screens like the google search page. I seem to recall one of the many cell phone models I've owned also having this problem. Maybe EVO?

Personally it doesn't bother me but I could see how it would drive others nuts.

w0lf215
Old
Thanks Meter 121
I can personally vouch for the jscreenfix when you have issues with stuck pixels, however i dont think it will do anything for a burn in or dead pixel. I had a cluster of 4 or 5 pixels on an old blackberry of mine get stuck and played that jscreenfix for hour or two and it brought them back. But like I said I don't see that helping with a burn in though, if that is your issue.

PsyOr
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 49
Here's a picture of this burn-in, bad quality but can't miss the 'shadow' ...

@jrebo - I'm using the original motorola's battery.

Any chance it will 'fix itself' or there is nothing to do?
What about the option of using a white blank screen on with low/high brightness ? will it make it worst or its possible help?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	burn-in.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	902005  

magui43212
Old
Thanks Meter 49
I have a white spot in the middle of my screen and I've been using the oem battery.

Sent from my MB855 using xda premium

PsyOr
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 49
Why these dark spots / clouds appears anyway?
Seems like its happening at lots of smartphones...

I have a Nexus One which have a top notification/status bar burn in - maybe because it was on the stock rom with the white bg and set to be shown all the time.

But here its looks different, as you mention - cloud / smoke / dark spots...

Still not sure if keeping the phone on with full white BG will do the job or will **** it up more.... also not sure what brightness should use with this white bg...high or low...

PsyOr
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 49
@jrebo - about the replacement battery you bought, after how much time using this non-oem battery you've notice these dark spots ?

I'm considering to buy another battery from ebay (there is no other place here to buy oem batteries for photon) seems like there are some 'OEM' batteris (HF5X) out there with tag price of ~10$, not sure if its real or knockoff and what problem could it cause...

Miquiztli
Old
Thanks Meter 6
screen burn in can not occure on lcd and plasma displays since there is no phosphorous layer that the colors are being shot through... however there is something similar but its not permanent... pixels of other colors are not releasing there charge so they end up not going back to their neutral state. To cure this issue you get any one of the apps out there that run your screen through random colors every so often or leave the phone off and with no battery for a few days that will get rid of the immage permanence that you see. if that area on your screen is showing a cloud that does not match your current wallpaper than there is some other issue going on. and to cure that i have no clue lol