This tool is unlike any other recovery based tool you have ever seen. I have seen alot of people struggling to reinstall gingerbread roms or even install other ICS roms due to their MainVer changing. Well I introduce Awesome Recovery Tool v2!
This is a touchscreen based tool (tested with AmonRa recovery). You answer two prompts in the tool from your phone and it will create a PH98IMG.zip based on what you need. This tool is based on the aroma (yes, like the smell, not amonra) recovery scripting. This allows you to use your touchscreen to select things during a flashable zip installation.
I have repurposed it as an easy recovery tool that will help get you booting again no matter what rom you are currently on. This will create a PH98IMG.zip personalized to the MainVer you have and the OS you want to flash to.
I don't see how this can get much more noob proof.
The main point of this tool is to create a PH98IMG.zip specific to your needs that has the right mainver attached to it and the right boot.img of the rom you want to get to.
Version 2 already out! You can flash custom boot images with this tool now! Put any boot image you want on your sd card named customboot.img and select the appropriate option in the tool.
How to use:
0) To flash a boot image specific to a rom, pull the boot.img out of the PH98IMG.zip included with the rom. Rename it to customboot.img and put it on the root of the sd card. (not in any folders). The PH98IMG.zip might be inside the roms zip file if it set to autoinstall.
1) Flash the attached zip file in recovery.
2) When the window pops up, tap your MainVer. If you are unsure, tap the OTA (middle button) first.
3) Tap the OS you want to flash to. (Select custom boot here if you are using that feature)
4) A PH98IMG.zip of the files you need has been created.
5) Amonra will say an error occured, but ignore it.
6) Reboot to hboot and install the PH98IMG.zip.
7) If you get main version older error, rerun the tool and select a higher main version.
8) Then flash a rom of the same version (ics/gb) that you chose in the tool. (Scott's cleanroms for each OS are a good base choice to atleast get your phone back on it's feet)
Other note: if the rom you want doesn't automatically reboot into hboot to flash a PH98IMG.zip (you have to put it there yourself) you should install the rom first then use this, but in all honesty it doesn't really matter.
1) You will need a way delete the PH98IMG.zip off your SD card before you can reboot into recovery again. If you can't boot up because you haven't flashed the new rom yet, use an external card reader to remove the PH98IMG.zip from the card so you can boot into recovery. If you don't have one, the procedure in this post (also by me) will work aswell
2) Depending on the kernel that a specific rom uses, wifi might not work after using this tool. I will update this tool soon to take that into account and fix that problem.