Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,126 Members 42,697 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[GUIDE] Easiest Step-By-Step Tutorial for Upgrading the Bionic to 5.9.902 (+ Root)

Tip us?

crobs808
Old
(Last edited by crobs808; 27th February 2012 at 05:21 PM.)
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 238
All,

My bandwidth jumped from 200MB per day to 11GB per day. That is why the site was down for a few hours yesterday, so I have moved the necessary files to 3rd party hosts. There are 4 parts, but they are the same files on every host (i.e. links are interchangeable), so you can download PART 1 from one host, then PART 2 from another host, and so on. See original post for the new download links. for now, I will still continue to host the 'motofail.exe' since it is a small file.

Thanks, and sorry for the hassle, but I have 10 other sites on that same hosting account, and can't have a single file jeopardize them all. << Unless one of you wants to buy me dedicated hosting Ha. >>

Purist (less is more) | VZW SGS3 | CM 10.1 | Android Virtualization

Icculus760
Old
(Last edited by Icculus760; 6th March 2012 at 02:22 AM.) Reason: THE REASON, AS ALWAYS, IS THAT I'M AN IDIOT
Thanks Meter 18
Default THANKS....but :)

These instructions were AWESOME, thanks!

...but I suggest editing the OP to start step 7 w/ selecting "ADB Debug" in 'settings.' I just wasted 60 seconds trying to figure it out - can't imagine others being dumber than me, but it's possible so that should be included
THANKS TO ALL THE DEV'S FOR KEEPING MY DEVICES FRESH AND TO ANYONE WHO'SE GIVEN ANYONE HELP

SGS5 - VZW - Geohot rooted + Safestrapp'ed
SGS4 - TWRP on MDK
Bionic - Safestrapped
OGDroid - unlocked

azzat
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Nice posts thank you

cruzizcaredonotn
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I was already on 902 since I just bought the phone last week and updated as soon as it was receiving service. My stomach was tide to a tight knot, my hands were shacking, my head was spinning. Motofail was successful, but when the phone rebooted for the last time a couple motorola processes failed and phone kept rebooting. removed battery, waited a few seconds, replaced battery, booted. SUCCESS!!! Did root checker basic,

thank you.

zeroxia
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Thanks for such a comprehensive post.

crobs808
Old
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 238
You're very welcome

Purist (less is more) | VZW SGS3 | CM 10.1 | Android Virtualization

bitsoglass
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default download not available

This might be a very stupid question, and I apologize profusely if it is. I managed to download part 1 of the bionic updater, but when I try any of the 3 parts (regardless of which mirror site) it says that the file has been removed. Do I need to wait between downloads, or is there another place to get these files? I have been fine with not being able to upgrade to ice cream sandwich (it fails every time: It was rooted at one point, but has not been for a while and I have done a factory reset since) recently, because I have been just holding out for a phone upgrade. I recently just bought a Sony SmartWatch, though, and I wanted to be able to use one of Sony's apps that require ice cream sandwich. Again, sorry if I am honestly just not doing something I should be.