Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,893 Members 43,429 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

I do not believe a Note with a good screen exists

Tip us?

jutley
Old
Thanks Meter 305
what's wrong with the screen mine seems fine.
Device 1 LG G3 D855 16gb Gold stock
Device 2 Google Nexus 2013 32gb rooted Developer L preview 2 rom
Device 3 IPad air 16gb silver (jailbroken pandu)
Device 4 Nvidia shield stock 4.4.2
Device 5 Dell Alienware M17 R5 16gb ram, I7 4700mq R9 M290X 4gb.

doubledragon
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I definitely see blotches now and then with grey and black, but it's still the best mobile screen I've owned. And it's flawless when it comes to browsing and games. This thing straight up renders.

TML1504
Old
Thanks Meter 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by WereCatf View Post
Incorrect. AMOLED displays do turn the pixels off. Even Wikipedia ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMOLED ) confirms this: "Because the black pixels actually turn off, AMOLED also has contrast ratios that are significantly better than LCD. "
sorry (no flame), but YOU are definitely incorrect!
some ("pulsing" in terms of PWM) amoleds are able to show completely dark pixels, but the point is: our note screen isn't of that type. it's not pulsing (not even on a very high freq) and regulation of "brightness" is done by altering the power of the (sub-)pixel.

however, if the display controller goes on the screen goes into standby, and all pixels emit a tiny amount light, even if they are set at 0 (in terms of 0-255)! this counts for all pixels of the array, so it is not possible to shutdown single pixels to emit 0 light!

try it for your own: there are a few possibilities for displaying a complete black picture. even at shutdown of the phone you have a few seconds until the already black screen goes completely black (=real turn off)!
then you have to be in an almost dark room, let your eyes accomodate a minute and then look at the screen. you will see a) that it still emits light, and that there are dark lines and/or "blotches". go and see for yourself!
active: Samsung G-Note III & Samsung Gear 2 & G-Tab-S 8.4 & Nexus 7 2013
Samsung G-Note II (sold)
Samsung G-Tab 7.7 (retired)
Samsung G-Note-32 (retired)
Samsung G-Tab 10.1-16 (sold)
Samsung G-SII-16 (sold)
HTC Desire HD (sold)
HTC HD2 (retired)
HTC Diamond (retired)
HTC Trinity (sold)
FSC Pocket Loox n560 (retired)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TML1504 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jezza333
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by TML1504 View Post
try it for your own: there are a few possibilities for displaying a complete black picture. even at shutdown of the phone you have a few seconds until the already black screen goes completely black (=real turn off)!
then you have to be in an almost dark room, let your eyes accomodate a minute and then look at the screen. you will see a) that it still emits light, and that there are dark lines and/or "blotches". go and see for yourself!
Completely agree, the AMOLED screens Samsung use don't fully turn off pixels or display TRUE black until the screen is actually off.

EarlZ
Old
Thanks Meter 272
Quote:
Ah, I just tried with the Iron Man 2 sample video and when they kiss you can see the upper background fading completely to black and leaving a somewhat clear line between the black and the grey.

Well, I see this as a non-issue, though. Doesn't bother me in the least.

Besides it's perfectly understandable, too, as it's an OLED display; the underlying leds are turned completely off with no backlight whatsoever when they're black, whereas on a regular display there is always a backlight on even in black areas. That's why it looks so different. Turn brightness up until black areas are grey instead, not black anymore, and the problem goes away. Or live with it.
If thats the only thing you see then either you have a good screen or viewing it with too much ambient light that all you see are reflections, here are some pics on what you will see ( more or less ) when viewing it w/o ambient lights.

Quote:
Incorrect. AMOLED displays do turn the pixels off. Even Wikipedia ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMOLED ) confirms this: "Because the black pixels actually turn off, AMOLED also has contrast ratios that are significantly better than LCD. "
SuperAMOLED in off state produces a faint glow, it does not go into no power-off-state like when you lock the screen. The Galaxy Note has an obviously more lit black as compared to the previous generation SAMOLED screens.
The Following User Says Thank You to EarlZ For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe