[Q] ROMs for Performance?

Search This thread

_anony

May 1, 2010
I've just picked up a gTab on eBay for quite a nice price, but it turns out that there are way more ROMs and developers for this gadget than I'd originally realized. I bought it with price-to-performance ratio in mind, my main goals being PDF reading on the go, Skype calls, light browsing, and maybe some emulation (can't get enough N64!). I bought the gTab knowing that there would be trade-offs, but it seems like some of the current ROMs have most things sorted out (even if the ROMs themselves are based on the outdated Froyo). My problem is that there are just so many ROMs, and it doesn't seem like there's a general consensus as to which one's "best" for performance.

So can anyone recommend a ROM based on what I'm looking for? I've read through the threads for most of the popular ones, including the Clemsyn + Calkulin release, Clemsyn + Beasty, Mountain Laurel, FrankenTAB, etc. etc. So far I haven't even been able to find the major differences between C/C and C/B, or what the new features of the newer ROMs are--only that they support a number of fixes for previous problems (and it seems like all of them support all of the fixes?).

Does any one ROM support "everything"? A snappy UI, low rate of app crashes, good hardware acceleration, proper battery life, Skype video calls, etc.? Or is it all a matter of trade-offs and opinions?

Edit: I didn't start this thread in the QA section because most of those threads looked more technical in nature. I apologize if this is in the wrong section.

Last edited:

DaggerDave

Jan 18, 2011
I have tried most all of them that you mention and I like Beastly-Clemsyn the best,especially for what you are looking for. It is very fast and stable, can overclock but doesn't really even need it. Skype works, flash, everything except USB mouse, but that is caused by the Netflix fix and can be reverted if you would rather have a mouse than Netflix. Some games are a little touchy but they always are on the gtab. I have Muppen64 and I overclock when playing N64 games for better performance but it works well and works with my Wiimote over bluetooth. Flash, video and streaming work well and so on.

The older Roms can often be "updated". For example, I have one tablet with Beastly, I updated the Market and other Gapps that could be, put VTL launcher on and customize lock screen, did some light custom theme work and tweaking, installed Clemsyn's kernel and it's like a brand new rom.

I haven't tried Frankentab yet but I have it downloaded just haven't had a chance. I think it still has a couple bugs to work out but it looks very interesting. It is newer and actively maintained. Lots going on in the Gtab world lately, it has been great. I recommend you try a couple or a few and see what you like! My favorites are:

Froyo - Beastly-Clemsyn - Best all around ROM in my opinion
Gingerbread - Cyanogenmod 7
Honeycomb - Flashback (great looking but a few things don't work right)
ICS - to be continued ...!

Reactions: _anony

_anony

May 1, 2010
I have tried most all of them that you mention and I like Beastly-Clemsyn the best,especially for what you are looking for. It is very fast and stable, can overclock but doesn't really even need it. Skype works, flash, everything except USB mouse, but that is caused by the Netflix fix and can be reverted if you would rather have a mouse than Netflix. Some games are a little touchy but they always are on the gtab. I have Muppen64 and I overclock when playing N64 games for better performance but it works well and works with my Wiimote over bluetooth. Flash, video and streaming work well and so on.

The older Roms can often be "updated". For example, I have one tablet with Beastly, I updated the Market and other Gapps that could be, put VTL launcher on and customize lock screen, did some light custom theme work and tweaking, installed Clemsyn's kernel and it's like a brand new rom.

I haven't tried Frankentab yet but I have it downloaded just haven't had a chance. I think it still has a couple bugs to work out but it looks very interesting. It is newer and actively maintained. Lots going on in the Gtab world lately, it has been great. I recommend you try a couple or a few and see what you like! My favorites are:

I'm definitely going to have to experiment with a few different releases. What makes you pick Beastly-Clemsyn over the Calkulin-Clemsin? And do you know if the Beastly-Clemsyn setup has the same .gif image bug as the C+C setup? Also, what kind of frame rates are you getting out of N64 games?

Shame about the mouse, but I guess I can live with that. Are there no configurations that have everything working including the mouse and netflix?

Last edited:

jhermit

Feb 7, 2011
FrankenTAB is the one for me after trying many, many of them. Smooth, fast and everything works well. Zero crashes in the months I have ran it.

Sent from my FrankenTAB using Tapatalk

DaggerDave

Jan 18, 2011
I'm definitely going to have to experiment with a few different releases. What makes you pick Beastly-Clemsyn over the Calkulin-Clemsin? And do you know if the Beastly-Clemsyn setup has the same .gif image bug as the C+C setup? Also, what kind of frame rates are you getting out of N64 games?

Shame about the mouse, but I guess I can live with that. Are there no configurations that have everything working including the mouse and netflix?

Okay I did some testing for you.;) I did not visit every web page but all the .gif image sites I went to rendered all the animated images just fine. I used DolphinHD and stock browsers to test (the ones that had problems with .gifs on C&C). Some basic Muppen64 testing:

Mario Kart 64 - OC=1336 - average 29 fps, 24-32 fps, very little/no stutter, playable
007 - OC=1336 - average 29 fps, 16-34 fps, very little/no stutter, playable
Super Smash Bros. - OC=1336 - average 34 fps, 25-50 fps, very little/no stutter, playable

Mario Kart 64 - No OC - average 24 fps, 18-28 fps, stutter and some lag, playable (barely)
007 - No OC - average 18 fps, 11-24 fps, lag and stutter, not very playable
Super Smash Bros. - No OC - average 24 fps, 14-47 fps, little lag/stutter, playable (not as smooth)

As you can see overclocking makes a big difference on emulators like Muppen64. I just crank it up to 1336 with SetCPU while using it and turn it back down when I am done (my gtab does not like to be overclocked!).

I chose Beastly over Caulkin for the following reasons: the .gif bug not reported in Beastly (not really a big deal), no market fix is required, Skype and Netflix both work without additional fixing, and I have never had a random crash, force close errors or SOD (until this morning anyway, I left it overclocked after testing and it was not happy when I tried to wake it back up. Oops!)

As far as I know there is no rom that is 100% working rom, including the stock rom. I believe you choose either working usb mouse and gsensor, or you can have Skype and Netflix, but the fix for one breaks the other. I don't care to use a usb mouse, but I do use a usb keyboard and it works fine. Like I said though you should definitely try a couple and see what works best for you. The difference between C&C and Beastly is they are ports of different roms built for other tablets. Read through the threads to find the fine details. I know it's a lot to read but it's better to read first and have fewer surprises later.

_anony

May 1, 2010
Thanks for the testing, DaggerDave. I'll have to try both FrankenTAB and C+B and see which one ends up working the best. Are there higher OCs than 1300 MHz?

It looks like the ICS rom that teamDRH is working on will be the undisputed champion by the time it's out of Beta, so I'm very excited for that.

DaggerDave

Jan 18, 2011
Are there higher OCs than 1300 MHz?

Yes depending on the kernel that is used in the rom, or installed by you, you can OC up to 1600. Clemsyn just released recently new kernels here and at another tablet forum.

It looks like the ICS rom that teamDRH is working on will be the undisputed champion by the time it's out of Beta, so I'm very excited for that.

Me too. So far I have resisted the temptation to try it out (just like FrankenTab), only because I haven't had the time yet. Looks like it will be great once some of the bugs are worked out and more apps are fixed to work with ICS.

_anony

May 1, 2010
Yes depending on the kernel that is used in the rom, or installed by you, you can OC up to 1600. Clemsyn just released recently new kernels here and at another tablet forum.

Me too. So far I have resisted the temptation to try it out (just like FrankenTab), only because I haven't had the time yet. Looks like it will be great once some of the bugs are worked out and more apps are fixed to work with ICS.

Looks like ICS should blow Froyo roms out of the water once the kinks are worked out.

I do have one last question for you: If I have to sacrifice USB mouse for Netflix/Skype, do I also sacrifice bluetooth mouse/keyboard support?

DaggerDave

Jan 18, 2011
Yea with working hardware acceleration, and eventually overclocking and more time to develop I can definitely see ICS becoming better than the Froyo roms. I love the Honeycomb UI but it was never fully developed, ICS will have the best of both.

I believe the Skype/Netflix fix effects the mouse orientation (moving mouse up goes right, right goes down, down goes left, etc). Probably regardless of weather the mouse is usb or bluetooth. Usb and bluetooth keyboards should work as long as the bluetooth version is supported by the Gtab. Some bluetooth keyboards have been reported not to work like the ones designed for the Asus Transformer I don't think they will work below Android 3.? just check before you buy one.

Last edited:

_anony

May 1, 2010

How'd you update your google apps on the Beasty 2.2 rom? This oudated version of Calendar is driving me nuts.

Last edited:

DaggerDave

Jan 18, 2011
I don't use Calendar, but others like the market, maps and search I had to either download them and install with ES File Explorer, or uninstall them and reinstall (either from the market or side loading). Some versions will not work, so you have to find ones that do. The newest Market 3.4.4 (?) is working, newest Gmail works but the latest Voice Search and Maps do not. You will have to find the older versions (Maps < v6 works) and test them till you find what works. Have you tried going to the apps (Calendar for example) in the market to try to update them? I think I updated Gmail that way, it didn't show an update in 'My Apps' but it did when I searched for it.

Search for "axleration .apk downloads" for a list of 5 good sites that offer free .apks. Or a google search for a specific .apk will give you more results. Or if you are desperate, I have downloaded newer roms before and extracted the .apks from them (stick to same android version).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

FrankenTAB is the one for me after trying many, many of them. Smooth, fast and everything works well. Zero crashes in the months I have ran it.

Sent from my FrankenTAB using Tapatalk

Okay I did some testing for you.;) I did not visit every web page but all the .gif image sites I went to rendered all the animated images just fine. I used DolphinHD and stock browsers to test (the ones that had problems with .gifs on C&C). Some basic Muppen64 testing:

Mario Kart 64 - OC=1336 - average 29 fps, 24-32 fps, very little/no stutter, playable
    007 - OC=1336 - average 29 fps, 16-34 fps, very little/no stutter, playable
    Super Smash Bros. - OC=1336 - average 34 fps, 25-50 fps, very little/no stutter, playable

Mario Kart 64 - No OC - average 24 fps, 18-28 fps, stutter and some lag, playable (barely)
    007 - No OC - average 18 fps, 11-24 fps, lag and stutter, not very playable
    Super Smash Bros. - No OC - average 24 fps, 14-47 fps, little lag/stutter, playable (not as smooth)

As you can see overclocking makes a big difference on emulators like Muppen64. I just crank it up to 1336 with SetCPU while using it and turn it back down when I am done (my gtab does not like to be overclocked!).

I chose Beastly over Caulkin for the following reasons: the .gif bug not reported in Beastly (not really a big deal), no market fix is required, Skype and Netflix both work without additional fixing, and I have never had a random crash, force close errors or SOD (until this morning anyway, I left it overclocked after testing and it was not happy when I tried to wake it back up. Oops!)

As far as I know there is no rom that is 100% working rom, including the stock rom. I believe you choose either working usb mouse and gsensor, or you can have Skype and Netflix, but the fix for one breaks the other. I don't care to use a usb mouse, but I do use a usb keyboard and it works fine. Like I said though you should definitely try a couple and see what works best for you. The difference between C&C and Beastly is they are ports of different roms built for other tablets. Read through the threads to find the fine details. I know it's a lot to read but it's better to read first and have fewer surprises later.
    I don't use Calendar, but others like the market, maps and search I had to either download them and install with ES File Explorer, or uninstall them and reinstall (either from the market or side loading). Some versions will not work, so you have to find ones that do. The newest Market 3.4.4 (?) is working, newest Gmail works but the latest Voice Search and Maps do not. You will have to find the older versions (Maps < v6 works) and test them till you find what works. Have you tried going to the apps (Calendar for example) in the market to try to update them? I think I updated Gmail that way, it didn't show an update in 'My Apps' but it did when I searched for it.

Search for "axleration .apk downloads" for a list of 5 good sites that offer free .apks. Or a google search for a specific .apk will give you more results. Or if you are desperate, I have downloaded newer roms before and extracted the .apks from them (stick to same android version).