Disclaimer: I am not responsible for any damage to your device due to flashing this ROM! Flash at your own risk!
Special thanks to the CM9 team, AOKP team, and Onskreen!
Extra special thanks to zanderman112 for the video review and new screenshots!
This is more-or-less a straight kang of CM9 and AOKP for the HP Touchpad with Onskreen's Cornerstone baked in. If you're not familiar with Cornerstone, check out http://www.onskreen.com/cornerstone/
In a nutshell, Cornerstone is a Android modification that allows for true multitasking. Not the "Press the Back button to go to the previous app"-type of multitasking, but actually being able to have 3 applications running at once. Cornerstone utilizes the additional screen real estate on tablets to keep up to 3 applications on your screen at one time. It's kind of hard to understate what a different experience Android is using Cornerstone. Check out the screenshots to see what I mean!
Cyanogen himself is using it and loves it, and is trying to incorporate it into CM9, although there are some roadblocks: https://plus.google.com/u/0/10027530...ts/ViCME1bb8F6 Having said that, Cornerstone isn't perfect- there are still some rough edges to iron out, and porting it to the Touchpad was a little tricky, but it should be
- All the known CM9 bugs (i.e. no camera)
- Wifi is buggy for some (see comments below) (FIXED)
- Bluetooth (?)
- Recent apps out of focus in landscape (looking into it)
- Changing the DPI messes with the CSPanel (although the functionality remains intact) (FIXED)
- Videos will not run with the CSPanel active, you'll need to minimize it for full screen (FIXED)
- Some apps get "stuck"- either rotate landscape to portrait or vice versa, or close Cornerstone and launch it again (FIXED)
- The Home selection menu is buggy- working on a fix (FIXED)
- Probably others
- Wifi fix (FIXED)
- You tell me
- Synced to CM9 repo 5/7/12- Now supports themes! (Note: CM7 themes do install and can be chosen from the Themes tab in Settings, however they make not look exactly the same as they did on CM7. Ask your themer to update the theme for CM9 for best results!)
- Updated wifi firmware for ath6kl (cherry pick of change 11/15011/2)
- Disabled Cornerstone on bootup. This is to fix the wifi issue- yes I can confidently say that this fixes the wifi issue. To start Cornerstone, you will need to manually press the application icon. (Thanks to OaT and viskon for pointing that out!)
- Updated to Android 4.0.4
- Source code released
- Cleaned up various things
- CM9 version updated 4/18/12
- AOKP version built on build 32
- Synced to 3/16/12 CM Repo
- Includes charger control settings (in HP Touchpad Settings)
- Switched to CM9 Nightly kernel (should help with wifi- please see notes below)
- 120dp and 160dp versions now available (patches are for RC 1.2 only- so please update to RC 1.2 before using the patches)
Current up to CM9 nightly- 3/14/12
Full hardware video acceleration! (Special thanks to jcsullins!)
Fixed graphics issues! All windows/headers line up properly now!
(Note- wifi sometimes doesn't work after you first flash the ROM. After the second reboot, it should work!)
Updated to Cornerstone 85.1- new ICS skin, button fixes, and other tweaks
Updated to latest CM9 nightly build- (full hw video acceleration coming soon)
GAPS included now
Full wipe recommended
- Updated to latest CM nightly (2/18/12). (FYI, build dates can be found in Settings -> About Phone. I always sync immediately prior to building unless otherwise noted)
- Added wifi fix CM change #12341 (should hopefully fix wifi for those experiencing issues)
- Minor CSPanel resizing
- initial release
1. Download ROM to SD card
2. Download 120dp or 132dp patch (optional)
3. Reboot to Recovery
4. Perform Nandroid backup
5. Install ROM
6. Install GAPPS
7. Install 120dp or 132dp patch (optional)
AOKP Beta 1: http://www.mediafire.com/?tsqho88xjinaknp
(Note: the AOKP version is Beta so expect some bugs. However, it is stable enough for daily use. Also, wifi works MUCH better on this ROM- no need for Rohan's Mod. Known issues so far: Lock screen is currently not working in AOKP Beta 1- if you absolutely need a lock screen, this is not the ROM for you!)
132dp patch: http://www.mediafire.com/?vhgn2p6ypr40pc3
(Note: Since Rohan has apparently discontinued the 132dp version of his Supreme Mods patch, if you plan on using his mod, first flash the Cornerstone patch, then Rohan's 120dp or 160 dp patch, then you will manually have to change your build.prop to 132dp. It's a pain, I know, but I don't want to use or modify Rohan's patch until I get his approval.)
Starting with RC 1.6, wifi issues should be resolved. Please let me know if you are still having issues though.
NOTES ON WIFI (PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING!)
Wifi seems to stay connected without Rohan's Mod- AFTER rebooting 1-2 times. Try this first and please report back. Also, wifi will get flaky again if you reboot to WebOS and back to Android. Again, you will have to reboot a few times or flash Rohan's Mod again.
Many users are reporting that wifi works for them after installing Rohan's Supreme Tweaks 1.5. If you are still having wifi issues, here is the link.
Others are also reporting alternate wifi drivers helped them with their wifi issues: Thread here, direct download link here.
So I have noticed there are a couple of people with wifi issues using my Cornerstone ROMs. I also had a lot of issues with wifi, mainly with it not turning on after a restart, or finally turning on and seeing my wifi network, but not actually being able to connect to it. It was frustrating. Wifi is the lifeblood of the Touchpad! So I read through all the threads and posts about wifi, trying a bunch of different things, but there was one fix that solved my wifi issues permanently, regardless of what ROM I used-I switched my router's wifi channel to 1 (if you have a dual-band router, switching the 5ghz channel to 157 also helps, to a lesser extent). After that, I could connect after each reboot without fail. So if you are having wifi issues, please try that first.
Now, I realize some of you don't have the luxury of being able to switch wifi channels (for those connecting through work or school networks, for example) and I feel your pain. So I've switched to the CM Nightly kernel. This is the same kernel used in the CM9 nightlies, so you should have the exact same performance. So until there is a permanent solution to the wifi issues for everyone, please bear this in mind and leave comments on whether wifi is working for you or not.
this is great and I appreciate the hard work, but it makes really appreciate webOS in the fact that apps on the TouchPad like Glimpse does just this and works near flawlessly... Glad you guys are incorporating these different items.
Listen, don’t cheat in your games. So don’t … more
XDA Developers was founded by developers, for developers. It is now a valuable resource for people who want to make the most of their mobile devices, from customizing the look and feel to adding new functionality. Are you a developer?