Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,034 Members 47,374 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[ROM]HellFire™ Sandwich v 1.9 p999 4.04 (linaro google ears )7/12/12

Tip us?

da-pharoah
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1587

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasdabess View Post
I have harsh's kernel installed yet I still cant use usb mass storage?
thats because we dont have the support for it in the rom, yet... its not just a kernel update thats needed for that support.

Team Hellfire

SGS3: CM10
G2X: CM7 || CM9
Kindle Fire: CM7 || CM9
x0xhellx0x's ROM Guides: SGS3 || G2X || Kindle Fire
Nullifier: G2x || Kindle Fire

Whyzor
Old
Thanks Meter 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorrentzRock View Post
As far as accurate and inaccurate readings go - those have nothing to do with a rom EITHER. The "jumping around" you are referring to is a function of the battery driver which is in the Kernel. Some kernels (cm) provide accurate readings and slightly less battery life, while others (ds) return slightly spastic readings BUT the battery life is longer.

Read, read, read, and when you think you are done...read more.

Sent from my LG-P999 using xda premium
I have read quite a bit here as a new G2x user (former dev for another Android phone). What I have yet to find is a clear explanation why the DS kernel has erratic readings but better life. I'm not the type to just believe & repeat what someone else says but rather look for some data or test to back up claims. From my experience, too many tweaks don't work, or are over-optimistic about what they can do.

Has anyone done a battery drain test using a DS vs CM kernel with the same version & apps loaded? Even short 1-hr on each would be good. I've dug briefly into some of the DS battery driver changesets on Github and it seems to be polling battery stats at a shorter interval than CM driver, which in theory suggests it causes higher drain (this is also what I noticed on a brief test of faux's kernel vs the default CM7 kernel), both idling in airplane mode. This is contrary to what is commonly claimed.

maxesxp
Old
Thanks Meter 110

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyzor View Post
I have read quite a bit here as a new G2x user (former dev for another Android phone). What I have yet to find is a clear explanation why the DS kernel has erratic readings but better life. I'm not the type to just believe & repeat what someone else says but rather look for some data or test to back up claims. From my experience, too many tweaks don't work, or are over-optimistic about what they can do.

Has anyone done a battery drain test using a DS vs CM kernel with the same version & apps loaded? Even short 1-hr on each would be good. I've dug briefly into some of the DS battery driver changesets on Github and it seems to be polling battery stats at a shorter interval than CM driver, which in theory suggests it causes higher drain (this is also what I noticed on a brief test of faux's kernel vs the default CM7 kernel), both idling in airplane mode. This is contrary to what is commonly claimed.
Trust me, ds does have better battery then cm. I have gone a whole weekend without charging my phone on it, but on cm I go about one and a half days with light use

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2
PRESS THE THANKS BUTTON IF I HELPED
KERNEL: GB: stock cm7 kernel OR ICS: harsh kernel

MY PROJECTS
WP7 Dark Modded Theme

TorrentzRock
Old
Thanks Meter 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxesxp View Post
Trust me, ds does have better battery then cm. I have gone a whole weekend without charging my phone on it, but on cm I go about one and a half days with light use

Same experience here. Though you (previous post) state you found evidence to the contrary, in real life day to day use, I absolutely achieve noticeably longer battery life with the DS kernel.

Sent from my LG-P999 using xda premium

da-pharoah
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1587

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyzor View Post

Quote:

+1 to this. I didnt further research as to why it does. But indeed it does have a difference. I have 233 apps installed and when im on ds I get really good battery. but cm isnt as great. I just believed faux as he makes great kernels. I didnt not want to believe him since I was using his kernels. but none the less give it a go, see whats up. and btw Whyzor, Team Hellfire welcomes you to the g2x party, hope you have fun and enjoy your new phone!

Team Hellfire

The Following User Says Thank You to da-pharoah For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Whyzor
Old
Thanks Meter 339
Quote:

Don't take it personally, but most real-world use is subject to a lot of variations, how much GPS, bluetooth, wifi, 2G/3G/4G data is used, phone calls...etc. Even Faux posted that the difference was only a couple of hours between DS & CM battery drivers. Here are the details of my observations I posted in the faux thread for those who want to discuss this further there.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...postcount=3100

rasdabess
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by da-pharoah View Post
thats because we dont have the support for it in the rom, yet... its not just a kernel update thats needed for that support.
? Why does it say in op that you need harsh kernel for usb mass storage? and its in the options for usb computer transfer w/e but not selectable

da-pharoah
Old
(Last edited by da-pharoah; 25th May 2012 at 12:35 AM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1587

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasdabess View Post
? Why does it say in op that you need harsh kernel for usb mass storage? and its in the options for usb computer transfer w/e but not selectable
hmmm im speechless then... idk y thats there.

Edit
Just talked with hell and indeed it's not supported... looks like he forgot to remove that... sorry..

Team Hellfire

The Following User Says Thank You to da-pharoah For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

xp99
Old
Thanks Meter 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by da-pharoah View Post
hmmm im speechless then... idk y thats there.

Edit
Just talked with hell and indeed it's not supported... looks like he forgot to remove that... sorry..
No wonder it didn't work for me. I'll try it with the next release then.

Question for the next release, can you include a way to flash the stock kernel back with the rom? This way if I try other kernel's, I can always get back to stock.

da-pharoah
Old
(Last edited by da-pharoah; 25th May 2012 at 05:23 AM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1587

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by xp99 View Post
No wonder it didn't work for me. I'll try it with the next release then.

Question for the next release, can you include a way to flash the stock kernel back with the rom? This way if I try other kernel's, I can always get back to stock.
This is actually something you can do. Go here, G2x-CM7/CM9[2.6.32.59] (V050b)Oc~1.55Ghz/uv/slqb/bfq/zram/voodoo[May-17] and choose your poison. In 1.7 we have 049 beta 5 rockin with CM flavor. Feel free to download one of those onto your sdcard as this is the least time consuming way to change when changing kernels, also the easiest btw..

edit:
actually here is the link to page 28 which has the link for the stock kernel.

Team Hellfire