24th May 2012, 11:08 PM   |  #4761  
Recognized Contributor
Seacoast near Joppa
Thanks Meter: 1,596

2,690 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasdabess

I have harsh's kernel installed yet I still cant use usb mass storage?

thats because we dont have the support for it in the rom, yet... its not just a kernel update thats needed for that support.
24th May 2012, 11:11 PM   |  #4762  
Thanks Meter: 341

692 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorrentzRock

As far as accurate and inaccurate readings go - those have nothing to do with a rom EITHER. The "jumping around" you are referring to is a function of the battery driver which is in the Kernel. Some kernels (cm) provide accurate readings and slightly less battery life, while others (ds) return slightly spastic readings BUT the battery life is longer.

Read, read, read, and when you think you are done...read more.

Sent from my LG-P999 using xda premium

I have read quite a bit here as a new G2x user (former dev for another Android phone). What I have yet to find is a clear explanation why the DS kernel has erratic readings but better life. I'm not the type to just believe & repeat what someone else says but rather look for some data or test to back up claims. From my experience, too many tweaks don't work, or are over-optimistic about what they can do.

Has anyone done a battery drain test using a DS vs CM kernel with the same version & apps loaded? Even short 1-hr on each would be good. I've dug briefly into some of the DS battery driver changesets on Github and it seems to be polling battery stats at a shorter interval than CM driver, which in theory suggests it causes higher drain (this is also what I noticed on a brief test of faux's kernel vs the default CM7 kernel), both idling in airplane mode. This is contrary to what is commonly claimed.
24th May 2012, 11:19 PM   |  #4763  
Flag calgary
Thanks Meter: 112

475 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyzor

I have read quite a bit here as a new G2x user (former dev for another Android phone). What I have yet to find is a clear explanation why the DS kernel has erratic readings but better life. I'm not the type to just believe & repeat what someone else says but rather look for some data or test to back up claims. From my experience, too many tweaks don't work, or are over-optimistic about what they can do.

Has anyone done a battery drain test using a DS vs CM kernel with the same version & apps loaded? Even short 1-hr on each would be good. I've dug briefly into some of the DS battery driver changesets on Github and it seems to be polling battery stats at a shorter interval than CM driver, which in theory suggests it causes higher drain (this is also what I noticed on a brief test of faux's kernel vs the default CM7 kernel), both idling in airplane mode. This is contrary to what is commonly claimed.

Trust me, ds does have better battery then cm. I have gone a whole weekend without charging my phone on it, but on cm I go about one and a half days with light use

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2
24th May 2012, 11:29 PM   |  #4764  
Flag Kentucky
Thanks Meter: 53

184 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxesxp

Trust me, ds does have better battery then cm. I have gone a whole weekend without charging my phone on it, but on cm I go about one and a half days with light use

Same experience here. Though you (previous post) state you found evidence to the contrary, in real life day to day use, I absolutely achieve noticeably longer battery life with the DS kernel.

Sent from my LG-P999 using xda premium
24th May 2012, 11:30 PM   |  #4765  
Recognized Contributor
Seacoast near Joppa

2,690 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyzor

Quote:

+1 to this. I didnt further research as to why it does. But indeed it does have a difference. I have 233 apps installed and when im on ds I get really good battery. but cm isnt as great. I just believed faux as he makes great kernels. I didnt not want to believe him since I was using his kernels. but none the less give it a go, see whats up. and btw Whyzor, Team Hellfire welcomes you to the g2x party, hope you have fun and enjoy your new phone!
The Following User Says Thank You to da-pharoah For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th May 2012, 11:43 PM   |  #4766  
Thanks Meter: 341

692 posts
More
Quote:

Don't take it personally, but most real-world use is subject to a lot of variations, how much GPS, bluetooth, wifi, 2G/3G/4G data is used, phone calls...etc. Even Faux posted that the difference was only a couple of hours between DS & CM battery drivers. Here are the details of my observations I posted in the faux thread for those who want to discuss this further there.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...postcount=3100
25th May 2012, 12:53 AM   |  #4767  
Thanks Meter: 6

116 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by da-pharoah

thats because we dont have the support for it in the rom, yet... its not just a kernel update thats needed for that support.

? Why does it say in op that you need harsh kernel for usb mass storage? and its in the options for usb computer transfer w/e but not selectable
25th May 2012, 01:23 AM   |  #4768  
Recognized Contributor
Seacoast near Joppa

2,690 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasdabess

? Why does it say in op that you need harsh kernel for usb mass storage? and its in the options for usb computer transfer w/e but not selectable

hmmm im speechless then... idk y thats there.

Edit
Just talked with hell and indeed it's not supported... looks like he forgot to remove that... sorry..
Last edited by da-pharoah; 25th May 2012 at 01:35 AM.
25th May 2012, 06:02 AM   |  #4769  
Thanks Meter: 78

164 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by da-pharoah

hmmm im speechless then... idk y thats there.

Edit
Just talked with hell and indeed it's not supported... looks like he forgot to remove that... sorry..

No wonder it didn't work for me. I'll try it with the next release then.

Question for the next release, can you include a way to flash the stock kernel back with the rom? This way if I try other kernel's, I can always get back to stock.
25th May 2012, 06:20 AM   |  #4770  
Recognized Contributor
Seacoast near Joppa

2,690 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by xp99

No wonder it didn't work for me. I'll try it with the next release then.

Question for the next release, can you include a way to flash the stock kernel back with the rom? This way if I try other kernel's, I can always get back to stock.

This is actually something you can do. Go here, G2x-CM7/CM9[2.6.32.59] (V050b)Oc~1.55Ghz/uv/slqb/bfq/zram/voodoo[May-17] and choose your poison. In 1.7 we have 049 beta 5 rockin with CM flavor. Feel free to download one of those onto your sdcard as this is the least time consuming way to change when changing kernels, also the easiest btw..

edit:
actually here is the link to page 28 which has the link for the stock kernel.
Last edited by da-pharoah; 25th May 2012 at 06:23 AM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread