[XOOM2/XYBOARD][HOW TO] Motorola Xoom 2/Xyboard Everything Root and more!

Search This thread

lucasarran

Jan 29, 2011
XOOM2/Xyboard Everything root and more!

From 26/03/2014, I will no longer be updating this post as I no longer have the device and Motorola won't be upgrading the device further. Please instead of sending me PMs, go to the Q&A board or post your comment on this thread.

Note: This method will not work on Windows 8. Only Windows XP, Vista, 7, Linux and Mac OS X is supported.

Root Method - Honeycomb
1. Download the Windows version here, or the Linux/OSX version here.

2. Your Computer must have Motorola Drivers installed before rooting and connect your device with debugging on to your computer via USB. (Mac Users don't need drivers)

3. Extract the zip file from the download link, and run “run.bat” (on Windows) or “run.sh” from a terminal (on Linux/OSX)

4. Your device should reboot a few times during the process, don't worry.

5. Then you should see a finished message on the Root Method Window. At this point your device is safe to be removed from the computer.

7. As you are running Honeycomb if you are reading this then you should be receiving the ICS OTA soon. So lets backup your root so you can restore everything root after the upgrade (saves time). Download OTA Rootkeeper and backup root.

6. Well Done! You have root. Enjoy root and be safe.

Blog Post: Here

Root Method - Ice Cream Sandwich

1. Connect your Xoom2/Xyboard via USB to your Windows PC. Install Motorola Drivers from here.

2. Under Settings > Developer Options > Hit the "Enable USB Debugging" selection.

3. Download the Root Installer from here. (Says for Droid RAZR but also works on Xyboard and Xoom 2]

4. Unzip the download.

Bootstrap/Safestrap[Custom Recovery]
Waring: DO NOT proceed if you are inexperienced. bootstrap is messy and is only needed once we have ROMs cooking. All questions about the recovery ask in the developer thread.

1. Install the Bootstrap APK file.
2. Allow Superuser Powers.
3. Read the instructions which is displayed on the user interface.
5. You will now see a splashscreen after you reboot (before boot animation), here you can decide if you want to enter recovery or continue with boot.
-Method Under Constuction-

Unroot or temporary unroot

Temp Unroot - If you need to unroot for any reason and come back at any time, then install OTA Rootkeeper and then select the option "temp unroot). This will remove root without restarting and you can restore by a touch of a button.

Full remove of Root - If you want to complety remove root all together, if you need to send in your device for repair or trading your device. Install Ginger Unroot and continue with the onscreen instructions. This application has confirmed to work on the Xoom2/Xyboard.​

Last edited:

mdcykkk9

Mar 21, 2009
Thx is working now . i just made a donation to his paypal account. i hope for future support for the tablet .

carlosalonso

Mar 22, 2011
Thanks, is good news. Now we just need that we have updates to fix bugs, and if it can be ics ...
This is worth a donation to continue the work.

qdh1502

Jan 28, 2008
Paris
Working well ! Thank you.
I rooted my Xoom 2 ME bought in France.

But I cannot update to 3.2.2 ???
My build 1.6.0_218.3-MZ607 ,current version 3.2

ouatitw

Jul 25, 2006
I did the US ICS update on My UK Xoom so im on 4.03 at the moment - i believe Motorola added some file which prevents me so far from rooting with the current one click programs ? so would it be safe to try this ?

lucasarran

Jan 29, 2011
I did the US ICS update on My UK Xoom so im on 4.03 at the moment - i believe Motorola added some file which prevents me so far from rooting with the current one click programs ? so would it be safe to try this ?
The method is safe to try but Email Dan if you have any issues when rooting. :)

Last edited:

vskram21

Jul 11, 2011
chennai
Thanks a lot Dan Rosenberg,
Suppose i root my device and if i need to use my warranty at later point of time.
Is there is anyway that i can hide Motorola that i have rooted my device.

Elysian893

Jan 27, 2010
The method is safe to try but Email Dan if you have any issues when rooting. :)

I wouldn't email Dan, I'd post it here... Dan probably has more than enough things going on than to answer all rooting questions on here...

This root method very well may work on the Xoom with ICS, never hurts to try it. I don't see how you can't root with an existing method though, with the Xoom being fully unlockable and all...

llama-power

Jan 25, 2011
I don't see how you can't root with an existing method though, with the Xoom being fully unlockable and all...

the thing is that maybe you can, but you might not want to;) Unlocking wipes all your data, apps, etc and also permanently sets a variable stating that your warranty is gone.

It might, for example, be desireable to create a backup of all your apps and data using titanium backup, which requires root, before unlocking your xoom.

Reactions: lucasarran

Trackz

May 12, 2006
Does this mean that more knowledgeable folks can create custom ROMs now, or does that still require an unlocked bootloader?

Elysian893

Jan 27, 2010
Does this mean that more knowledgeable folks can create custom ROMs now, or does that still require an unlocked bootloader?
No, we need to figure out a bootstrap for custom roms. No custom kernels.

Also, the method to fix adb remount is reset every other boot by the kernel, init.rc rebuilds local.prop on reboot as a failsafe and can't be changed without a custom kernel...

Nov 11, 2010
Response to luke.arran

This root method should work on all Motorola Devices running honeycomb or gingerbread. Try it out and see if it does :)

Just to let you know this does not work on all Xoom models like you say. Here is my thread with my specs in it. I have tried it three times following the directions to a T and it never gets past;

"[*] Initiating Phase 1...
[*] This may take a few minutes, don't mind the buzzing.
"

I have now let it run for over an hour each time and it never goes any further and my Xoom is still not rooted. It did not even ever reboot on its own. Does anyone have any suggestions? If not I'll just use some threads 1 & 2, I got from a friend.

Thanks, InfiniteImmortal :D

picketf

Feb 21, 2012
Unlocking wipes all your data, apps, etc

Not this method. It is supposed to unlock and root motorola devices in 10 minutes without deleting any files. When I read about this on android police I was very excited as I never rooted because I only needed Superuser for my Xoom (never was interested in ROMs) and could never justify scraping everything just for this.

I tested the files here on a windows 7 machine... if I run from command at step 2. I get su permission denied. If I run the batch file I get "failed backup" loop after the device has been detected

tried the portable one click .exe found in "Motofail: Universal Motorola Android Root Tool (Portable)" works perfect on my bionic

obviously fails to remount as it does not include local.prop from step 5. so it's not working on xoom

This is the most awesome root utility I ever came along. It took something like 6 mins to root my phone without losing any files, if I can get it to run on my Xoom this will be just a dream come true!

lucasarran

Jan 29, 2011
Update: This root method does not support the Original Xoom. Confirmed by Dan.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    XOOM2/Xyboard Everything root and more!

From 26/03/2014, I will no longer be updating this post as I no longer have the device and Motorola won't be upgrading the device further. Please instead of sending me PMs, go to the Q&A board or post your comment on this thread.

Note: This method will not work on Windows 8. Only Windows XP, Vista, 7, Linux and Mac OS X is supported.

Root Method - Honeycomb
    1. Download the Windows version here, or the Linux/OSX version here.

2. Your Computer must have Motorola Drivers installed before rooting and connect your device with debugging on to your computer via USB. (Mac Users don't need drivers)

3. Extract the zip file from the download link, and run “run.bat” (on Windows) or “run.sh” from a terminal (on Linux/OSX)

4. Your device should reboot a few times during the process, don't worry.

5. Then you should see a finished message on the Root Method Window. At this point your device is safe to be removed from the computer.

7. As you are running Honeycomb if you are reading this then you should be receiving the ICS OTA soon. So lets backup your root so you can restore everything root after the upgrade (saves time). Download OTA Rootkeeper and backup root.

6. Well Done! You have root. Enjoy root and be safe.

Blog Post: Here

Root Method - Ice Cream Sandwich

1. Connect your Xoom2/Xyboard via USB to your Windows PC. Install Motorola Drivers from here.

2. Under Settings > Developer Options > Hit the "Enable USB Debugging" selection.

3. Download the Root Installer from here. (Says for Droid RAZR but also works on Xyboard and Xoom 2]

4. Unzip the download.

Bootstrap/Safestrap[Custom Recovery]
    Waring: DO NOT proceed if you are inexperienced. bootstrap is messy and is only needed once we have ROMs cooking. All questions about the recovery ask in the developer thread.

1. Install the Bootstrap APK file.
    2. Allow Superuser Powers.
    3. Read the instructions which is displayed on the user interface.
    5. You will now see a splashscreen after you reboot (before boot animation), here you can decide if you want to enter recovery or continue with boot.
    -Method Under Constuction-

Unroot or temporary unroot

Temp Unroot - If you need to unroot for any reason and come back at any time, then install OTA Rootkeeper and then select the option "temp unroot). This will remove root without restarting and you can restore by a touch of a button.

Full remove of Root - If you want to complety remove root all together, if you need to send in your device for repair or trading your device. Install Ginger Unroot and continue with the onscreen instructions. This application has confirmed to work on the Xoom2/Xyboard.​
    Jelly Bean soak test invitations went out 10/27/13!!! Won't be long.

Sent from my MZ617 using Tapatalk
    Here is a link to some mods I have started for our device http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2053048.

Sent from my MZ617 using xda app-developers app
    I don't think this is caused by the root method as I have heard successful reports of rooted xyboard owners upgrading to 3.2.2 fine. But a user on this forum http://rootzwiki.com/topic/18963-up...514mz617enuszip/page__pid__497187#entry497187 has uploaded a zip version of the update, I'm assuming that you can flash this by the stock recovery somehow.

Sent from my Motorola Xoom 2
    I was going to include instructions in my post @ rootzwiki on how to install this update through recovery in my post but I haven't been able to get recovery to mount the internal or an external storage(thumbdrive or sdcard with dongle).
    I tried leaving the name alone and with it renamed to update.zip with no success.

Note: I pulled the files from my VZW xyboard 10.1. I can not confirm that it is the same update for all versions of the Xoom2/xyboard variants.
    I think the problem is coming from the fact that I removed some verizon bloat. And when it tries to run the update it hangs on verifying a file called vcast-vzw-signed-fleming.apk . If someone could possibly upload a copy of this file i would appreciate it. it is from the /data/app folder.

Have a look for the file in a xyboard dump like this - http://www.mydroidworld.com/topic/1...7-117279-system-dump/page__unlockUserAgent__1 :)

Sent from my Motorola Xoom 2