Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,583 Members 40,121 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[XOOM2/XYBOARD][HOW TO] Motorola Xoom 2/Xyboard Everything Root and more!

Tip us?
 
llama-power
Old
#21  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 61
Posts: 157
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfiniteImmortal View Post
Just to let you know this does not work on all Xoom models like you say.
unfortunately, I can confirm this. I restored my xoom to stock 3.2 and tried to root using this method, it gets stuck at the afore mentioned step. (uploading xyz succeeds, running "xyz stage1" stops working at some point)

Quote:
Originally Posted by picketf View Post
Not this method. It is supposed to unlock and root motorola devices in 10 minutes without deleting any files.
I'm sorry if what I said was not clear enough. I was talking about unlocking the bootloader which is the first step in rooting the classic xooms and DOES wipe everything (/data).
This method on the other hand does NOT unlock your xooms, though. This is "just" rooting your tablets (and installing busybox) but it will not unlock your bootloader. Therefore, this method will not wipe your data (at least not intentionally)
 
picketf
Old
#22  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 5
Join Date: Feb 2012
oh man, I was so hopeing this would work on Verizon Xoom 3g. I really hope Dan can find the time to make it work.... somehow.

Just tried at my buddy's place to root his Xoom 2, works like magic. Superuser in no time!
 
Birkenau
Old
#23  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 22
Join Date: Dec 2009
Hi,
I've successfully rooted my Xoom2 ME, works great except for one thing : cifs.
I've copy cifs.ko with files expert but
"adb remount : Operation not permitted"
"insmod /system/lib/modules/cifs.ko failed (Operation not permitted)"
"chmod 777 /system/lib/modules/ -> Bad mode"

I followed this guide http://sandbox.mindcrime.net/?p=75 and some other but I can't make it work :/
 
Elysian893
Old
#24  
Elysian893's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 60
Posts: 389
Join Date: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birkenau View Post
Hi,
I've successfully rooted my Xoom2 ME, works great except for one thing : cifs.
I've copy cifs.ko with files expert but
"adb remount : Operation not permitted"
"insmod /system/lib/modules/cifs.ko failed (Operation not permitted)"
"chmod 777 /system/lib/modules/ -> Bad mode"

I followed this guide http://sandbox.mindcrime.net/?p=75 and some other but I can't make it work :/
You cannot adb remount. Even if you do the remount steps I've outlined in the OP you will lose the ability to remount after the 2nd reboot. You need to manually remount via an adb shell.
 
f4systems
Old
#25  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 26
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Johnstown, PA
I used this root technique on my xyboard 8.2, now i have been notified about the update but everytime I try to install the 3.2.2 update it fails. Any sugestions of a way to fix would be greatly appreciated.
 
mdcykkk9
Old
#26  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 25
Posts: 191
Join Date: Mar 2009
Did you find a solution to your problem? What changes did you made with root ? Did you tried reset your device through Android recovery?
Can you also try extract the update file from where temporary saved? Maybe is possible to apply the update through recovery.
Those are very bad news ... is there a way to unroot the device?

Chuck Norris sent this using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to mdcykkk9 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
lucasarran
Old
#27  
lucasarran's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 209
Posts: 269
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by f4systems View Post
I used this root technique on my xyboard 8.2, now i have been notified about the update but everytime I try to install the 3.2.2 update it fails. Any sugestions of a way to fix would be greatly appreciated.
I don't think this is caused by the root method as I have heard successful reports of rooted xyboard owners upgrading to 3.2.2 fine. But a user on this forum http://rootzwiki.com/topic/18963-upd...87#entry497187 has uploaded a zip version of the update, I'm assuming that you can flash this by the stock recovery somehow.

Sent from my Motorola Xoom 2
Phone: RAZR I (Stock Moto)
Tablet: Nexus 7 (AOSP KitKat 4.4)
The Following User Says Thank You to lucasarran For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
wes_s
Old
#28  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 100
Posts: 224
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke.arran View Post
I don't think this is caused by the root method as I have heard successful reports of rooted xyboard owners upgrading to 3.2.2 fine. But a user on this forum http://rootzwiki.com/topic/18963-upd...87#entry497187 has uploaded a zip version of the update, I'm assuming that you can flash this by the stock recovery somehow.

Sent from my Motorola Xoom 2
I was going to include instructions in my post @ rootzwiki on how to install this update through recovery in my post but I haven't been able to get recovery to mount the internal or an external storage(thumbdrive or sdcard with dongle).
I tried leaving the name alone and with it renamed to update.zip with no success.

Note: I pulled the files from my VZW xyboard 10.1. I can not confirm that it is the same update for all versions of the Xoom2/xyboard variants.

Nokia6110 ---- RazrV3 - LG8700 ---------- TP1 ------ Imagio ------ Tbolt --- RazrMaxx
-------MotoV710 ---- LG8600 --- XV8600 ---------- TP2 ------- DroidX --- Gnex - RazrMaxxHD
(Palm T5, VZW-Xoom,VZW Xyboard)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wes_s For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
f4systems
Old
#29  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 26
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Johnstown, PA
I think the problem is coming from the fact that I removed some verizon bloat. And when it tries to run the update it hangs on verifying a file called vcast-vzw-signed-fleming.apk . If someone could possibly upload a copy of this file i would appreciate it. it is from the /data/app folder.
 
lucasarran
Old
#30  
lucasarran's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 209
Posts: 269
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by f4systems View Post
I think the problem is coming from the fact that I removed some verizon bloat. And when it tries to run the update it hangs on verifying a file called vcast-vzw-signed-fleming.apk . If someone could possibly upload a copy of this file i would appreciate it. it is from the /data/app folder.
Have a look for the file in a xyboard dump like this - http://www.mydroidworld.com/topic/10...ckUserAgent__1 :)

Sent from my Motorola Xoom 2
Phone: RAZR I (Stock Moto)
Tablet: Nexus 7 (AOSP KitKat 4.4)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lucasarran For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
xoom2, xyboard
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes