Chainfire Turns Your Bootanimation into a Logging Center

Having a nice boot animation certainly adds a little bit of aesthetic polish to your … more

Android TV Launcher Pushed to Google Play

Over the past decade, the tech universe has seen two drastic and widely contrasting changes with … more

Cyngn, OnePlus, Micromax – The Legal Battle

Recently, a battle has been waging in India over the rights to distribute the commercial … more

Lean Mean Battery Power Saving App Review

We talk a lot about battery topics here at XDA TV. We talk about everything from Power Banks to USB … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Here's how to reproduce home screen flickering

OP luminus69

19th February 2012, 04:27 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 7

27 posts
For those who are still getting home screen flickering after .14 update and thinking it's a random thing, here's how to reproduce the problem regardless of docking or performance mode:

1. Go to the home screen (you should have a decent amount of apps, widgets and folders on it).

2. Bring up something that overlays the home screen. This includes:
a. Recent Apps on the left
b. ASUS (or Android) Quick Setting on the lower right
c. Mouse cursor (arrow or circle)
(Opened folders don't seem to trigger the problem.)

3. Keep the overlay on the screen and wait. Within 10 seconds you should see a big black triangle on the lower left of the screen flickering. It takes longer for the flickering to appear for the first time, but afterwards you almost always see it after a few seconds.

4. Once the overlay is gone (for the mouse cursor, just wait about 10 seconds and the cursor will disappear automatically), the flickering will not occur regardless of how long you wait!

Hopefully this issue can be addressed in the next update!! It's starting to annoy me.

P.S. The home screen will also show some very occasional black or white horizontal lines flickering. Now I think this one is truly random. Usually you need to stare at the screen for a long time to see it.

** UPDATE **

As I've mentioned in the reply, I've discovered that having News and Weather widget in the screen on either side of the center Home Screen (but not on the center screen itself) will increase the chance of reproducibility. Also, having a lot of widgets and apps on the home screen will also do it. Having more than 7 or 8 apps in Recent Apps will definitely do it.
Last edited by luminus69; 24th February 2012 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Update
19th February 2012, 04:34 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 8

122 posts
I have the triangle thing too but only if I have a couple of apps (enough that I can scroll the list) open.
19th February 2012, 04:43 AM   |  #3  
Flag Selden
Thanks Meter: 264

1,418 posts
More
I can't recreate it but I have seen it before
19th February 2012, 07:49 AM   |  #4  
Flag Cape Town
Thanks Meter: 282

565 posts
More
You also get some 'flickering' when you have SD card mounted and some other app is updating an ongoing notification.

It seems to forget it's place and the ordering of the notifications jump around.
19th February 2012, 09:04 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 3

21 posts
Same Bug here...
19th February 2012, 09:09 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 192

494 posts
Donate to Me
i can recreate it using texttab and pressing any overlay item. its irritating
19th February 2012, 06:11 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 17

145 posts
More
I get this bug as well in .14. I don't remember seeing it in previous ICS builds (.11 or .13), but I wasn't exactly looking for it either.
19th February 2012, 07:27 PM   |  #8  
Detroit
Thanks Meter: 50

256 posts
More
I used to get this just when it was charging in the dock... now its worse.
19th February 2012, 09:35 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 1

12 posts
I've found that swiping away a few apps from the recent item overlay fixes things for me whenever it happens. It's annoying though
19th February 2012, 10:48 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 17

157 posts
Yes I had this issue as well but I did a Factory Reset and re-installed my apps last night and cannot reproduce this problem now. Anyone else?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread