Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,479 Members 48,969 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Stuck at "Data.img" thru odin. Possible EMMC brick fix! Thanks to Jaymoon pg.#44

Tip us?

D_A_M_A_G_E
Old
Thanks Meter 4
I have the same issue with my phone and it was definately CWM touch that messed it up . Samsung has a one year warranty on these phones.....and even though mine was bought as soon as they were available which was last june I called samsung and was told my phone is indeed under warranty until december of this year by it`s lot number...so as you can imagine I am sending mine directly to sammy free shipping out and back She expected to have my phone back to me in five to seven days !!! Samsung support number 1-800-726-7864 Hope this helps !!!
The Following User Says Thank You to D_A_M_A_G_E For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Dchibro
Old
Thanks Meter 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfhub View Post
Clearlyif jtag is not writing successfully then something low-level is wrong. I can believe that fake flashing cwm touch onto a 3.0 kernel and restoring or wiping did something out of bounds rendering portions of the emmc inaccessible, but i would find it hard to believe this is coincindental emmc failure due to quality issues with the emmc. It is simply too specific, both in reproducability, symptoms, and prerequisites.
Well, it's certainly possible that he recently worked on a phone that had a bad EMMC, coincidentally around the time all this mess started happening. It sounds like we should start getting reports from people who sent their phones in from JTAG service soon. My money says JTAG gets them back up and running, where that blue light means a good thing not bad.
Current Device: LG G2 (D800)
Carrier: AT&T

connexion2005
Old
Thanks Meter 698

DONATE TO ME
You are correct in your statement sfthub. JTAG is about as low a level initialization of reading and writing from the EMMC chip as you can possibly go. It's pure binary serial communication between the EMMC/oneNAND and CPU so if I am experiencing the inability to write at that level, then yes the EMMC chip is truly problematic and it is a hardware problem. With that said I'm not going to state the ROM flashing experience is to blame here as it would be highly unlikely but at the same time I have seen very odd things happen such as ROM's causing documented digitizer problems on the HD2 when Android or Windows Phone 7 are installed. A while back on the I9000M platform a leaked firmware was causing similar issues to the oneNAND and it was documented as true hardware failure as I could never pull one out of it's partition problems either.

EDIT: Also the blue light only represents that the boot.bin zone is intact which in nearly all cases it is as the primary bootloader is NOT on the EMMC chip but yet on a smaller segmented individual chip. In all cases where I can't write to the EMMC chip, I'm still able to write to the primary bootloader chip without issue.
MobileTechVideos
The ORIGINAL (Hard Brick / JTAG Repair EXPERT)
I CAN RECOVER HARD BRICKED PHONES. PM me for any questions about JTAG...
Follow me on TWITTER and/or FACEBOOK...

nanos1982
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_A_M_A_G_E View Post
I have the same issue with my phone and it was definately CWM touch that messed it up . Samsung has a one year warranty on these phones.....and even though mine was bought as soon as they were available which was last june I called samsung and was told my phone is indeed under warranty until december of this year by it`s lot number...so as you can imagine I am sending mine directly to sammy free shipping out and back She expected to have my phone back to me in five to seven days !!! Samsung support number 1-800-726-7864 Hope this helps !!!
Come to think of it, I did use touch CWM to attempt a nand restore. Insurance and warranties are wonderful things. If you're going to be a mad scientist, of course you're gonna kill a few subjects. Let me know what happens with the sammy warranty process. I'm curious to see the outcome.

Dchibro
Old
Thanks Meter 281
Man, to hear that while highly unlikely, there "could" be a kernel/recovery scenario that could permanently damage the internal memory chip to the point where even JTAG can't write to it is a bit unnerving.
Current Device: LG G2 (D800)
Carrier: AT&T

sfhub
Old
(Last edited by sfhub; 29th February 2012 at 11:58 PM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 6828
Quote:
Originally Posted by connexion2005 View Post
With that said I'm not going to state the ROM flashing experience is to blame here as it would be highly unlikely but at the same time I have seen very odd things happen such as ROM's causing documented digitizer problems on the HD2 when Android or Windows Phone 7 are installed. A while back on the I9000M platform a leaked firmware was causing similar issues to the oneNAND and it was documented as true hardware failure as I could never pull one out of it's partition problems either
To clarify, we are not talking about the act of flashing a rom causing emmc issues, we are talking about partition operations issued from recovery which are interfacing with a new linux 3.0 kernel. This brings into the the picture the possibility these are device driver level issues being exposed.

Imo it is equally hard to believe all these people who combined cwm touch with the ics linux 3.0 kernel are the only ones suddenly having an issue with just the /data partition, and only if they performed a wipe or restore using previously described setup. In addition nobody who has used the previous gb linux 2.6 kernels packed with cwm has ever reported such an issue.

There are too many specifics, imo, for this to just be arbitrary emmc failure. I'm not saying emmc isn't hoarked in some way, clearly it is, as your jtag bit blasting is failing, just imo the previously mentioned actors are somehow involved.
Disclaimer: No touchscreens were harmed nor injured during the creation of this post. GPS units were all treated ethically and humanely.
Signed: People against misbehaving Nexus 7 2013s

connexion2005
Old
Thanks Meter 698

DONATE TO ME
I agree 100% although hard to believe, the specific way these phones died are all the same as everyone was working with a specific build of ICS at the time this damage occurred. I've seen strange like this happen and be associated with flashing a file. In nearly all cases it's also the data zone as well that has the issue and not the entire chip. However in some cases I've seen the entire chip be un-writable...
MobileTechVideos

sfhub
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 6828
So perhaps you could add your expertise, what is different about the data partition making more prone to these issues. Is it on a separate emmc chip? Or is everything on one chip that gets segmented? Is the issue with the section of emmc memory containing /data or is it with the meta data the keeps track of the sections?

I noticed the major/minor dev numbers changed for /data between the 2.6 and 3.0 kernel while the other partitions remained the same. That might just be a red herring.
Disclaimer: No touchscreens were harmed nor injured during the creation of this post. GPS units were all treated ethically and humanely.
Signed: People against misbehaving Nexus 7 2013s

connexion2005
Old
Thanks Meter 698

DONATE TO ME
There is nothing exclusive about the /data partition. It resides on the EMMC chip with all other partitions (except for the primary bootloader). The fact that it would be the zone failing the most is beyond me other than the fact it most likely sees more I/O than any other segment...
MobileTechVideos

brennam7
Old
Thanks Meter 89
well mine will get to cwm, and download mode. most people have just the blue light i hear. Im kind of out of options regarding this. this post might be my last resort.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...4&postcount=10

Tags
brick, odin