[How-To] Wi-Fi Only Mode
There is a script posted around XDA to disable the cell radio so the device is Wifi-Only, but by default it did not work on the Continuum since it was missing the radiooptions binary. The script would run, but it would fail with "radiooptions: not found". So here is how I managed to get it running on EC09
- Root the phone. SuperOneClick works great (Get it from the Continuum Database thread).
- Head over to one of the other threads for the Wi-Fi only script.
- Follow the instructions on that thread to get the script onto your device, and to install Script Manager. I put mine in a "scripts" folder on my SD card.
- Visit this post to get an update zip that contains the radiooptions binary, which is missing from the Continuum images (stock and others)
- Either install that update.zip by the usual means, or do like I did and extract that file using ES File Explorer, move it to /system/bin/radiooptions, and fix the permissions so it's executable.
- Run the script in Script Manager and watch your cell signal status show (\) indicating that the cell radio is off. If the terminal output gives an error about radiooptions being missing, go back to the previous step and try one of the other methods.
- Enjoy a much longer battery life now that you aren't running a radio you don't need.
Note: If you set the script to run at boot in Script Manager, the script won't run until after the SD Card media scan happens. So there is a small window at bootup when the radio is active.
Note 2: If you want to factory reset and/or need to bypass activation, see my other thread here
I know others have mentioned there is a hybrid mode on some custom images that is Airplane Mode+WiFi. That may also work, but since I'm running a stock EC09 at the moment and it's working well, I didn't want to completely reflash just to see if I could make that go.
For the curious I did this because I'm turning my deactivated Continuum into a mini wifi/game tablet for my kid to use. Others might do this to ensure they do not get giant roaming bills when out of the country.